Turn on thread page Beta

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Off the top of my head...

'Technical requirements'

'Realistic requirements'

What most applicants have? (Seems quite plausible - Edinburgh was ludicrously oversubscribed for the 2009 cycle.)
    Eh? :confused: What would the difference between "technical" and "realistic" be? :o: She said they looked for AAA in fifth year with AA in sixth year, or the other way around. She said because of the school I go to, my AA is "commendable". I didn't think so, but whatever. :p: I still can't imagine too many people with AAAA or more will be applying for English Lit (especially from state schools). She was encouraging me to apply though, which she wouldn't have bothered to do if she didn't think it was worth it. Someone on here got in with ABBBD last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    Eh? :confused: What would the difference between "technical" and "realistic" be?
    "Technical" is what they say they want. "Realistic" is what they actually want.

(Original post by Pedrobear)
    "Technical" is what they say they want. "Realistic" is what they actually want.
    Thank you. Still doable.

If not, gap year ahoy :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    :rip: Thread :rip:

What do girls prefer; Italian? French? Spanish? Chinese? English? restaurants...I'm leaning towards Italian.
    Italian, always! Spanish is good too though.

I'm just back from a night with my own fine lady. A chippy in Glasgow. Not quite gourmet, but you know. Have fun.

Thank you. Still doable.
    From what I've gathered though, Edinburgh apparently put lots of emphasis on the PS (almost equal to that they put on the grades, according to some) so I dunno, maybe that'd make up for any shortcomes you think you have. You know you'll get into Glasgow, anyway!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Italian, always! Spanish is good too though.

I'm just back from a night with my own fine lady. A chippy in Glasgow. Not quite gourmet, but you know. Have fun.

From what I've gathered though, Edinburgh apparently put lots of emphasis on the PS (almost equal to that they put on the grades, according to some) so I dunno, maybe that'd make up for any shortcomes you think you have. You know you'll get into Glasgow, anyway!
    But Glasgow is technically better than Edinburgh for their english literature course, and their entry requirements have shot up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    and their entry requirements have shot up.
    So I saw! Crazy. I was wondering about something related to this actually but I can't think how to explain it so I won't bother. Were you at the open day, by the way (Glasgow)?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    So I saw! Crazy. I was wondering about something related to this actually but I can't think how to explain it so I won't bother. Were you at the open day, by the way (Glasgow)?
    No I wasn't. You?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Urgent help required so I'll quote.

(Original post by The Unbeliever)
    (Original post by Rosie9391)
    (Original post by Meteorshower)

Question: Do you think if I did my personal statement geared towards biomedical science with a little bit shoved in for english, I would get rejected for english (Aberdeen and Glasgow) even though I've got the grades (or more) for the course. And also, would that jeopardise my chances of getting in to biomedical science (Aberdeen and Strathclyde) at all?
    [/panic]

ReputationRep:
    No I wasn't. You?
    Yeah. It was alright, quite obviously geared mostly toward med/dental applicants though. Sorry, I just knew someone on here had went, couldn't think who it was.

I would get rejected for english (Aberdeen and Glasgow) even though I've got the grades (or more) for the course.
    I've barely started my PS nevermind attended university yet so my advice is hardly golden. All I'd say is that English Literature is a very competitive course... you can read between the lines there. You want your PS to show real commitment. If most of it is about a science subject, then you abrupty chuck "...and I like reading books too!" in at the end, do you really think it'll be strong enough? Think about it. They're selecting people to come to their university and study literature for 4 years. You're going to make it look like you'd be just as happy or even happier to study science instead. How can they trust you'll be dedicated to their course if your interests clearly swing quite strongly towards another (rather different) subject?

I'm hardly as great an authority on this as those other people you quoted but if you want the advice I'd give straight away, if we met outside, without all the rambling, I'd simply say that you're going to have to choose one or the other. If you were aiming for, say, History and English, then sure, that'd be possible. But come on... biomedical science, and English literature? To have to choose between such radically different subjects must be damn tough but I'd say ultimately that's what you'll have to do.

Unless of course the uni lets you combine arts and science subjects in 1st year... I'm not aware of how that works exactly. Try emailing?

You should wait until someone clever like TheUnbeliever replies before you take my advice to heart though. I'm just a school pleb and this is how I'd see things at the moment with regards to your situation.

I asked the Admissions tutor this and she said "Applicants seem to get far more hung up over Personal Statements than we do." :lolwut: She made out they were practically redundant, while another woman I asked in June said it was probably the most important part! Conflicting information And I'm not so sure about Glasgow: it's going to be so hard this year for everything, everywhere.

Still, onward and upward :awesome:

Yeah. It was alright, quite obviously geared mostly toward med/dental applicants though. Sorry, I just knew someone on here had went, couldn't think who it was.
    'Twas I. In June, anyway It was so beautiful and busy and alive! :love:

ReputationRep:
    'Twas I. In June, anyway It was so beautiful and busy and alive! :love:
    The chapel is so beautiful. Not sure if we were even allowed to go in there, but my mum wanted a nosy. :o:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

I've barely started my PS nevermind attended university yet so my advice is hardly golden. All I'd say is that English Literature is a very competitive course... you can read between the lines there. You want your PS to show real commitment. If most of it is about a science subject, then you abrupty chuck "...and I like reading books too!" in at the end, do you really think it'll be strong enough? Think about it. They're selecting people to come to their university and study literature for 4 years. You're going to make it look like you'd be just as happy or even happier to study science instead. How can they trust you'll be dedicated to their course if your interests clearly swing quite strongly towards another (rather different) subject?

I'm hardly as great an authority on this as those other people you quoted but if you want the advice I'd give straight away, if we met outside, without all the rambling, I'd simply say that you're going to have to choose one or the other. If you were aiming for, say, History and English, then sure, that'd be possible. But come on... biomedical science, and English literature? To have to choose between such radically different subjects must be damn tough but I'd say ultimately that's what you'll have to do.

Unless of course the uni lets you combine arts and science subjects in 1st year... I'm not aware of how that works exactly. Try emailing?
    :rofl: Oh dear.
    Yeah, I'm not sure if Aberdeen let you combine those two in first and second year and their info on it is a bit wooly. I'm going to e-mail them just now.

The chapel is so beautiful. Not sure if we were even allowed to go in there, but my mum wanted a nosy. :o:
    LOL! My mum can't see past Glasgow uni; "you must come here for your graduation photos, the buildings will look so beautiful!" :o:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    :eek3: What do I put for the email subject?

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: Oh dear.
    What is it about the choice you're finding difficult? It seems an odd pair of subjects to be torn between, I suppose. If you can find some way to accomodate both (with your PS and whatnot) then it'd be excellent but personally I wouldn't risk it. That's just me though.

What do I put for the email subject?
    "gies a hawn wae ma subjects"?

:awesome:

"Double Degree Dilemma"? :awesome:

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Your grades are good and you're clearly very fond of your subject. You'll be fine! :yep: Glasgow is a beautiful uni (or, at least, the bits that I wandered around photographing were )

"Potential applicant - subject combinations"?

"gies a hawn wae ma subjects"?

:awesome:
    *guffaws* LMAO!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Since when did Casualty get all arty?!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.