Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Your grades are good and you're clearly very fond of your subject. You'll be fine! :yep: Glasgow is a beautiful uni (or, at least, the bits that I wandered around photographing were )
    Ooooh thank you :daydreaming:

I've got glitter in my eye :mad:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedrobear)
    What is it about the choice you're finding difficult? It seems an odd pair of subjects to be torn between, I suppose. If you can find some way to accomodate both (with your PS and whatnot) then it'd be excellent but personally I wouldn't risk it. That's just me though.

"gies a hawn wae ma subjects"?

:awesome:
    *long winded sigh*
    I've thought about doing sciences at uni since about second year but I don't like the lab work.
    Only discovered a 'passion' for english last year with the higher (although I wanted to be a writer from 7-12 years old :rofl: ) and I actually prefer AH english to AH biology.

Thanks for the suggestion. :rolleyes:

Since when did Casualty get all arty?!
    Holby City > Casualty :yep:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Your grades are good and you're clearly very fond of your subject. You'll be fine! :yep: Glasgow is a beautiful uni (or, at least, the bits that I wandered around photographing were )

"Potential applicant - subject combinations"?
    ooooooh. Imma use that.

(Original post by Kirsteneg)
    *long winded sigh*
    I've thought about doing sciences at uni since about second year but I don't like the lab work.
    Only discovered a 'passion' for english last year with the higher (although I wanted to be a writer from 7-12 years old :rofl: ) and I actually prefer AH english to AH biology.

Thanks for the suggestion. :rolleyes:
    :lolwut: I hated Higher, but whatever :p:

Your brain is so ... agile.

ReputationRep:
    and I actually prefer AH english to AH biology.
    And AH English is similar to 1st year English at university. Which brings us to...

edit: Eureka moment. What are your career aspirations? Would you be happier working in a science environment for the next 30 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    Holby City > Casualty :yep:
    I don't really watch either of them. Grey's Anatomy and the old series of ER, mmm...

* It might have finished, but I'm working my way through the old series in DVDs
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    And AH English is similar to 1st year English at university. Which brings us to...
    :eek3: :woo: :zomg:

And also, I know most people I know want me to do biomed.
    I DESPISE decisions.

ReputationRep:
    [quote]
    He's edited since then, just FYI.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

edit: Eureka moment. What are your career aspirations? Would you be happier working in a science environment for the next 30 years?
    I couldn't stick a career in it. But there's always teaching...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    He's edited since then, just FYI.
    I win.

ReputationRep:
    I win.
    You just lost the game. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Urgent help required so I'll quote.

Question: Do you think if I did my personal statement geared towards biomedical science with a little bit shoved in for english, I would get rejected for english (Aberdeen and Glasgow) even though I've got the grades (or more) for the course. And also, would that jeopardise my chances of getting in to biomedical science (Aberdeen and Strathclyde) at all?
    [/panic]
    What did the admissions people say when you e-mailed, any help?

Personally, I would write it for just the one subject especially since both are really popular and competitive courses. There is no harm in mentioning your passion for english (I breifly mentioned history of art in mine and it did no harm :p:). It could effect chances however at the likes of Strathclyde but Aberdeen seems to be more lenient. I've also spoken to two friends doing bio med and they are sticking to science related modules which are recommended along with the degree.

With the Aberdeen course, biomed has 80/120 credits already filled leaving just two other module options, however it highly recommends: medical science in sports and exercise physiology and applied sports and exercise physiology to make up the extra 40.

You probably already new that but oh well :p: Here's the link: http://aberdeen.ac.uk/sms/documents/bio_sci.doc

What has your guidance tutor recommended?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    What did the admissions people say when you e-mailed, any help?

Personally, I would write it for just the one subject especially since both are really popular and competitive courses. There is no harm in mentioning your passion for english (I breifly mentioned history of art in mine and it did no harm :p:). It could effect chances however at the likes of Strathclyde but Aberdeen seems to be more lenient. I've also spoken to two friends doing bio med and they are sticking to science related modules which are recommended along with the degree.

With the Aberdeen course, biomed has 80/120 credits already filled leaving just two other module options, however it highly recommends: medical science in sports and exercise physiology and applied sports and exercise physiology to make up the extra 40.

You probably already new that but oh well :p: Here's the link: http://aberdeen.ac.uk/sms/documents/bio_sci.doc

What has your guidance tutor recommended?
    thanks for the reply.
    Haven't got a reply for the email yet but I only sent it yesterday so might be a few days yet.
    As for my 'guidance' tutor, he hasn't actually given any guidance even though he knows the situation.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the reply.
    Haven't got a reply for the email yet but I only sent it yesterday so might be a few days yet.
    As for my 'guidance' tutor, he hasn't actually given any guidance even though he knows the situation.
    That's pants, best bet is just waiting for the uni to reply then.

Can't believe I start lectures tomorrow, soo stressed today as I've got timetable clashes and can't get a hold of my advisor so don't really know what to do!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    That's pants, best bet is just waiting for the uni to reply then.

Can't believe I start lectures tomorrow, soo stressed today as I've got timetable clashes and can't get a hold of my advisor so don't really know what to do!
    how did you end up with clashes?

(Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    "Alert"? :p: How was it for you? :sexface:

I went to see the Admissions woman for English Lit and she told two people in front of me that they basically had no hope of getting in. :indiff: One was because he didn't have a foreign language GCSE, and he was reallllllly posh so had obviously come pretty far for the Open Day, but was a really nice guy because he was like "Oh, um, er, well, that could be a problem! Oh well! "

She looked up my school to tell me how likely I was to get a place, and she said it was "a bit of help" I was surprised she was so positive when I told her my situation because she'd crushed the people before me.

However, the prospectus says I need BBBB, website says AABB, admissions woman said AAAA. :confused:
    I like the campus even though it is quite spaced out. Didn't really spend that much time there, about an hour perhaps. The rest of Edinburgh Uni didn't really impress me, I think if i went there, I would end up killing one of the "posh" students.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Morning all

Look below: I present the epitome of beautiful talent. Seriously, watch the whole thing. It's beautiful. :coma:

At first I was like :sigh:

Then I was like :lolwut:

And it ended with :coma:

:eek:

Stupid sattelite broadband. Got to 4.06 then crashed so I can't be bothered loading up again.

ReputationRep:
    sattelite broadband
    :confused: Why? Do you live miles from the nearest exchange or something?

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Does anybody have any unique and innovative ideas for a short story?

I've written, what I consider, 3 kickass poems. And 1 lame poem.
    Written a solid reflective piece.
    Half-way through a short story (prose)
    And need ideas for my second short story/prose...

Anybody got a cool concept which can be unique either story-wise or in the way in which it is written? :awesome:
    Something religious? Someone wrote a story about an evil priest ... :lolwut: Crime, horror, fantasy, fan fic?

I need to write a Personal Reflective for tomorrow and I don't have any ideas for once.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.