Turn on thread page Beta

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    pppppppppft. You know I'm only joking.

Is it wrong that you use that face so much that I imagine you to look like that? :p:

ReputationRep:
    good night. :goodnight:
    Night night. :hugs:

Me too, gotta get up early tomorrow.

Au revour! J'adore tout le mond!
    (I hope thats right, french wasn't my strongest subject...)

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xo-Heva)
    Night night. :hugs:

Me too, gotta get up early tomorrow.

Au revour! J'adore tout le mond!
    (I hope thats right, french wasn't my strongest subject...)

xxx
    Au revoir!
    Je t'embrasse :p:

ReputationRep:
    good night. :goodnight:
    Gute nacht!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Because of the circuitous method of updating my details with SAAS (wait for letter from Queens', then sent letter to SAAS, wait for letter from SAAS, send letter to Queens'), Queens' hadn't received proof of my funding status for the next year so I was billed the full whack. £3,225 for tuition fees which should be paid by loan, £4,350 for college fees which you're exempt from entirely as a home student. I was fairly certain I knew what was happening, but it was still nice to have the official email!
    :eek: at the tuition fees. Hopefully next year wont host as many problems!

(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    On the one hand, I think you've got some justification if you were ill enough to be off school. On the other, a useful thing that I learned was that it's occasionally worth sacrificing quality just to get something done. Perfectionism is good, but not remotely practical.

If it bothers you sufficiently, what I occasionally did was to take in the poor piece of work and ask for dispensation to have an extension so that I could provide a much better piece. Just make sure the replacement piece really is good!
    I've taken your advice The first draft of the damn thing is finally finished. My mum and friend told me I'm just being too hard on myself, but I still think it's ****; however, I like the concept behind it, so I'll hand in this draft, see what she says, then make the subsequent attempt much better. :yep: Were you really bothered when you handed in work late? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    I've taken your advice The first draft of the damn thing is finally finished. My mum and friend told me I'm just being too hard on myself, but I still think it's ****; however, I like the concept behind it, so I'll hand in this draft, see what she says, then make the subsequent attempt much better. :yep: Were you really bothered when you handed in work late? :erm:
    Good! It's quite possible that you are being hard on yourself - you've clearly gone into this with the mindset of disappointment, and it's really hard to shake that feeling once you've set yourself up for it. Or your friend and parent might just be being kind. :ninja:

How much does this particular essay matter, and why? Is it just important to you because you want to impress the teacher? If so, then get over it. (I beg your pardon for the brusqueness!) Everyone's work varies - I won the English prize a couple years ago, but my PSL was dreadful. I can't lie: it rankled. However, the pace of course, especially with you at Advanced Higher, is such that any single piece rapidly fades into the background.

If you're as shiny as you seem to be, then your teacher will either have noticed already or will do soon. Quite apart from anything else, being able to accurately and cooly assess the quality of your own work is a very difficult skill to develop, but an important one. If you're correct in your poor assessment, then that's something to take away from the experience. Otherwise, well...

Personally, er, well I have a great history of handing work in late - justified or otherwise. More seriously: it didn't bother me. I was much happier handing in a delayed but worthy product than an inferior one on time. Equally, I appreciate that it was probably a pain in the neck for the teacher.

ReputationRep:
    Night folks, early lecture tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or does AH English involve so much less work than Higher? This time last year I'd finished a Personal Study, tons of essays, more than a few close readings, and had started to prepare for a NAB.

So far in AH I've... read a few poems, taken a few notes about said poems... written one creative writing piece... and started a messy little dissertation plan that I think I've lost anyway.

The most obvious answer, I suppose, is that I'm chronically behind everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Or that you maybe did too much work for higher? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here doing or have done higher modern studies? Can someone help with this question:
    Describe the advantages and disadvantages of changing to a system of proportional representation (In your answer you should refer to different systems of PR.)

Do I go through a few of the systems individually or do a general thing on PR. The question seems to be asking for the short falls of FPTP too.
    I am so confused!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hello. I got my appeal result today. :eek:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Ape guesses it was good. Ape is always right. :yep:
    Ape IS always right. :yep:
    Yeah, the SQA examiner marked my close reading wrong. :facepalm:

Congrats

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations! From the amount of work you seem to have done/are doing it's clear you deserved it.

Maybe take this as fate giving you a sign about your uni subject choice...?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Pedrobear)
    Congratulations! From the amount of work you seem to have done/are doing it's clear you deserved it.

Maybe take this as fate giving you a sign about your uni subject choice...?
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    Congrats
    Thanks. Yeah, I was thinking that too Pedrobear.

And also, Coursework.info just validated 4 more of my essays, three of which were already validated but I submitted them twice. :facepalm: So much for quality control. :no:

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I got my appeal result today. :eek:
    Well done!
    Did the others in your class get marked wrong aswell?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    Well done!
    Did the others in your class get marked wrong aswell?
    Yep. Over half of my class got A's now so the teacher is very pleased, and in the top 0.something % of the country for higher english results.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    So...you got 400 more riches :teeth: ?
    Yep.

Is being called a 'dark horse' a good thing or a bad thing? Because my English teacher said that I was bit of a dark horse because of the creative writing I handed in last week. She said that she liked my narrative and that my twist at the end was excellent, though I dunno if she's only saying that because she thought it was crap. :p:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.