Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Good thing. It's praise. Can be taken as normal praise for your qualities or could be taken...sexually.
    My English teacher for the creative writing.

ReputationRep:
    Had a lovely afternoon, but I am now beginning to suspect that I'm planning on taking much more than is entirely necessary to uni. :confused: Particularly wrt clothes...

She said that she liked my narrative and that my twist at the end was excellent, though I dunno if she's only saying that because she thought it was crap. :p:
    Do you all have seriously twisted teachers or something? If you hand in a piece of horse manure, it's not exactly in their interests to try to polish it! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    My English teacher for the creative writing.
    Female English teachers in general.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    TS 1001 is recommended for students with C or less in Maths or Physics at Higher (or equivalent)
    does this mean for maths AND physics.
    I did higher maths a B but not higher physics so would I have to take it?

(Original post by Pedrobear)
    Female English teachers in general.
    The one that does Drama with us. :awesome:

(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Had a lovely afternoon, but I am now beginning to suspect that I'm planning on taking much more than is entirely necessary to uni. :confused: Particularly wrt clothes...

Do you all have seriously twisted teachers or something? If you hand in a piece of horse manure, it's not exactly in their interests to try to polish it! :p:
    :rofl: oh dear....
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Maths OR Physics.
    So does that mean you need at least a higher C in maths and at least a higher C in physics or just one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    does this mean for maths AND physics.
    It means (or, rather, what it says is) if either or both of the following are true, then TS 1001 is recommended:
    • You got a C at H Maths (or equivalent)
    • You got a C at H Physics (or equivalent)

I did higher maths a B but not higher physics so would I have to take it?
    I would imagine that what they mean is that if you got anything above a C at either of them, you'd be fine. So, in this case, with a B at H maths, you're probably golden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    The one that does Drama with us. :awesome:
    It's no coincidence that English and Drama teachers are always going on about reaching climaxes.

:awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It's no coincidence that English and Drama teachers are always going on about reaching climaxes.

:rofl: ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Hmmm well the English teacher that does the drama part with us talks about twists, delving deeper into the themes, techniques getting more complex etc. :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Is it on Saturday you go? :awesome:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It means (or, rather, what it says is) if either or both of the following are true, then TS 1001 is recommended:
    • You got a C at H Maths (or equivalent)
    • You got a C at H Physics (or equivalent)

I would imagine that what they mean is that if you got anything above a C at either of them, you'd be fine. So, in this case, with a B at H maths, you're probably golden.
    If that is the case then yes! That means I could do biomed and english in first year then pick one in second year at Aberdeen if I so wished, I think. Today has been a very good day.

:coma:

The drama teacher in my school. :ninja:

:coma: :coma: :coma: :coma: :coma:
    We had one that was :coma:, she was Irish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    Hello. I got my appeal result today. :eek:

Congratulations! How did you marker mark it incorrectly?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by iaincarinish)

Congratulations! How did you marker mark it incorrectly?
    They were just waaaay to tough with the marking. Probably one of those markers that mark it wrong if it's not exactly what's on the marking scheme...sounds really stupid but english is flexible.

Good! It's quite possible that you are being hard on yourself - you've clearly gone into this with the mindset of disappointment, and it's really hard to shake that feeling once you've set yourself up for it. Or your friend and parent might just be being kind. :ninja:

How much does this particular essay matter, and why? Is it just important to you because you want to impress the teacher? If so, then get over it. (I beg your pardon for the brusqueness!) Everyone's work varies - I won the English prize a couple years ago, but my PSL was dreadful. I can't lie: it rankled. However, the pace of course, especially with you at Advanced Higher, is such that any single piece rapidly fades into the background.

If you're as shiny as you seem to be, then your teacher will either have noticed already or will do soon. Quite apart from anything else, being able to accurately and cooly assess the quality of your own work is a very difficult skill to develop, but an important one. If you're correct in your poor assessment, then that's something to take away from the experience. Otherwise, well...

Personally, er, well I have a great history of handing work in late - justified or otherwise. More seriously: it didn't bother me. I was much happier handing in a delayed but worthy product than an inferior one on time. Equally, I appreciate that it was probably a pain in the neck for the teacher.
    You're so nice. Why aren't guys at my school as wise as you folk on here?

The reason it is so important to me is because the teacher I had throughout Standard Grade and Higher told my new AH English teacher that my friend and I are "extremely talented" at creative writing :o: (her words; whether it's hyperbole remains to be seen. :p:) So, I didn't want to hand in something awful, especially as my friend is so good, and I didn't want to appear in her shadow. Basically I compare myself to her: she is the benchmark :p: I know I shouldn't think of her like that but that's just how I feel. She got a higher mark than me in the Higher English exam and now she's got it into her head that she's superior to me based on that one exam, so I'm determined to prove my worth, to myself more than anyone else. However, when it came to writing that essay last night, the desire to impress made me unable to write as well as I know I can. Ironically the essay was about something similar. The Higher prizes were announced today and neither of us got it, incidentally, which is ironic as we're the only ones who want to study it at uni!

In short, I wanted to live up to the high expectations my former teacher had given her, and not appear inadequate in comparison to someone who's meant to be as good as me, and not better.

ReputationRep:
    I think I deserved an A to be honest.
    In what?:confused:

I think I deserved an A to be honest.
    I get you. Totally. I hate how in Scotland a whole year's work comes down to one exam, whereas in England they can re-sit parts of it, and both qualifications are given equal consideration. :mad:

That story brought tears to my eyes. I'm angry at your narcissistic friend. :mad:

Higher English; I'm pretty sure I got 49/50.
    Do I detect sarcasm? :p:

You mean in the Close Reading? I think I got somewhere in the 40s too ... My head was scrambled for the essays!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.