Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    Thanks. How do you do it? :confused:
    [youtube]PMKSJhb83P[/youtube]

(put the code after 'v=' in the URL in the tag)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by xo-Heva)
    :poo:
    HEATHER!!!

:eek4: :poke:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Long: no, I got bands 122 instead of 112 but haven't yet been rejected so I'm hoping I stand a chance of ameliorating my off-day in maths with a decent mark in STEP. I'm waiting for the English results to find out, though I've reconciled myself with going to Edinburgh.
    oh my lord! is it common for cambridge to make band-based offers? i haven't seen it before....is it to do with your subject, or am i just hopelessly stupid?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

(put the code after 'v=' in the URL in the tag)
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wawa1906)
    oh my lord! is it common for cambridge to make band-based offers? i haven't seen it before....is it to do with your subject, or am i just hopelessly stupid?
    Not really common, no. I was the only one with an offer like it at my school (one guy had AAB, every other Oxbridge offer-holder - about a dozen or more - had AAA) although there is a possibility that they'll be asking for them more in future as they increase the English standard offer to A*AA. (Yes, AHs are meant to be worth more than A levels, but I don't think that cuts much dice with them - my school tried that line in a failed attempt to negotiate it down. :p:)

Another guy who got an offer for computer science at Trinity this year on TSR, who was doing A levels, got an offer of AAA with two of those being at least 90%. I heard one or two other people talking about similar offers in sciences, too. I think the view is that it's much easier to get AAA in (objective) sciences than in (subjective) arts and humanities.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

yeah!

ReputationRep:
    Not sure, sorry, although I can see it's probably going to have a reasonably large engine - maybe give them a call to ask?

The cost of my insurance was deliberately factored in when we were buying a new car, so we've got a little 1 litre Hyundai i20 which I think was only around £100 to add me on (it's quite nice - small, but plenty gadgets, gets around 50 MPG and is very light and nimble so long as it isn't carrying more than about 2). On the other hand, the 1.6L 306 that was going to be mine was more like £3000 (with me as the only driver).

Short: no.

Long: no, I got bands 122 instead of 112 but haven't yet been rejected so I'm hoping I stand a chance of ameliorating my off-day in maths with a decent mark in STEP. I'm waiting for the English results to find out, though I've reconciled myself with going to Edinburgh.
    I might try giving some insurers a call yeah. A 1 litre engine on your hyundai, you won't be doing any overtaking on the motorway with that anytime soon.

Sorry to hear that, I guess there must be a chance they're willing to accept you with bands 122 with a good mark in STEP or they probably would have rejected you by now. Edinburgh is a good university anyhow and is a :cool: city.

ReputationRep:

Short: no.

It seems weird and a bit unfair because I haven't seen any english applicants with an A*A*A offer which would be the equivalent

On another note, I've just discovered the joy of toast at times other than breakfast:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    I might try giving some insurers a call yeah. A 1 litre engine on your hyundai, you won't be doing any overtaking on the motorway with that anytime soon.
    It manages okay, surprisingly. :p: It might be 1.2, actually, but I've done up to about 85 overtaking. Mind you, I'm normally the only one in it! You do have to be pretty aggressive with the gears to get up to speed joining the motorway, though. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that, I guess there must be a chance they're willing to accept you with bands 122 with a good mark in STEP or they probably would have rejected you by now. Edinburgh is a good university anyhow and is a :cool: city.
    Cheers. Edinburgh's a good university, and it's a great course. The main downside is that I've gone to school there (nearby the university, too) for the last 12 years. :o: On the other hand, I discovered there's the possibility of spending 3rd year at CalTech.

(Original post by akj08)
    It seems weird and a bit unfair because I haven't seen any english applicants with an A*A*A offer which would be the equivalent
    The first English students with A* come up next year. In their defence, it looks like it's peculiar to Trinity - and, as I say, they've specified two subjects at 90% or above for the English students, which is fairly comparable to my offer (disputed differences in difficulties between the two systems aside, of course).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I see Bright Red Publishing (company with the rights to past papers) have cut down the number of past papers in a set from five to four as my past papers from last year have 04-08 on them and the ones they have on their site seem to have printed 06-09 on them.

And since you can get the 07 and 08 papers off the SQA website and I'm assuming they plan on putting the 09 papers up, that means Bright Red Publishing are wanting you to pay £8 for one paper. Not cool. :naughty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bassmonkey)
    Which this is not! This is talent!

And fabulous legs
    She is also more talented, yes!

But, yes the legs are the main thing :p:

ReputationRep:
    i'm sooo excited about yooooneee !

Someone calm me down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)

Someone calm me down
    It's good to be excited! Stirling is an interesting place...

I'm a bit nervous tbh, I got my fresher's pack the other day and there doesn't seem to be anything at all on that doesn't involve clubbing - which I'm sure I'll enjoy but not 7 nights in a row with nothing during the day
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ronar)

Someone calm me down
    I didn't know it's legal in France to use dogs as live bait for sharks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    Heather...Heather...Heather...Heather...Heather...Heather...Heather...

:eek3:
    Aha! This is awesome :p:

Thank you for all the kind comments earlier guys. The interview went really well and I got an unconditional on the basis that someone pulls out before Monday 24th. :o: I really hope someone does - the course is completely full up.

Oh well, yet another week of stress. And that means I'll have to go to school this week, incase I don't get a place. Please please please let me get a place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akj08)
    It's good to be excited! Stirling is an interesting place...

I'm a bit nervous tbh, I got my fresher's pack the other day and there doesn't seem to be anything at all on that doesn't involve clubbing - which I'm sure I'll enjoy but not 7 nights in a row with nothing during the day
    Are you going to stirling!
    Lol what halls you in if you are :P

If not, get a job during the day to pay for the nights ha

ReputationRep:
    I really hope someone does - the course is completely full up.
    I can help you locate a hunting rifle, if you wish. :p:

Congratulations and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    Are you going to stirling!
    Lol what halls you in if you are :P

If not, get a job during the day to pay for the nights ha
    hehe no I'm going to Dundee but I've lived in Stirling all my life.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Aha! This is awesome :p:

Thank you for all the kind comments earlier guys. The interview went really well and I got an unconditional on the basis that someone pulls out before Monday 24th. :o: I really hope someone does - the course is completely full up.

Oh well, yet another week of stress. And that means I'll have to go to school this week, incase I don't get a place. Please please please let me get a place!

:woo: Congratulations, and I hope someone pulls out! :hugs:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.