Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie Kennedy)
    Are you going on holiday? If so, take it, record the good times!
    Heh, for a definition of 'holiday' that involves study and exams, sure. I head off to university late tomorrow night.

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)

Moving on from the sad depression that gripped this thread. Time to party, people.
    Party is over. Look you can see some people lying on the floor KO'd.

Holy ****, that KFC video. :eek: I think I'll never stomach the occasional one with friends ever again.

Some of these example Personal Statements are making me want to vomit: "I attended Eton Summer School and it was the best damned thing that's ever happened to me", "I read 'War and Peace' in my mother's womb" etc etc. Ewww

Still working on my first sentence. :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    When in doubt, go for the anecdote. It's a cop-out, but it works. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    You never wink at me. :eek:
    I wouldn't like you to get ideas.

(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    When in doubt, go for the anecdote. It's a cop-out, but it works. :yep:
    I want to appear original yet sincere :holmes: I don't want to put shallow declarations of love for literature either. I really want to avoid resorting to "Ever since I was a cell I've wanted to study x" :sigh: I just know it'll all come together at the 11th hour; always does

Are all these example PS successful ones?

I wouldn't like you to get ideas.
    :perv:

ReputationRep:
    Aaaah ****. Within the first few seconds... that poor bird! I'm not sure if I can watch that video. Does it get worse? I don't get KFC anyway, there isn't one near me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie Kennedy)
    Ha! Great score, hopefully you'll get an offer!

I managed, in the QR section: 900. Overall, I got 810.
    wow! I got so nervous doing it and had a bit of a panic attack. I don't get how QR is marked because i only did 20 qs but got 700 and something, you must have got near full marks though for 900.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    Are all these example PS successful ones?
    They usually say at the bottom, don't they? I have to admit I went for a minor, slightly more realistic, variation on the 'since I was x' tactic. :o:

They usually say at the bottom, don't they? I have to admit I went for a minor, slightly more realistic, variation on the 'since I was x' tactic. :o:
    Didn't do you any harm So the statements that don't say they were sucessful weren't? I need to stand out as my grades aren't as good as yours :woo: Some of the English ones use so much jargon :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Didn't do you any harm So the statements that don't say they were sucessful weren't? I need to stand out as my grades aren't as good as yours :woo: Some of the English ones use so much jargon :confused:
    No, it didn't. I don't think my personal statement was anything special, but I do think that it showed a) that I knew what I was talking about, and that b) I had considered my application carefully. I was also very grateful for my reference, which contained a couple gems. :o:

As for jargon, I'm not sure I know what you're talking about. Link? Anything that lets me procrastinate is good.

ReputationRep:
    This guys videos are awesome! He has HUNDREDS. Calculus, Business, Linear Algebra, Biology, Chemistry & University Maths.
    Hell yes. Khan Academy is great.

D'you remember a few weeks ago you said something about how an Edinburgh tutor (I think?) told you that in the coming years it'll become more difficult to switch to an Honours subject other than that you initially applied for? Just wondering, did I read you right on that one? Only I'm perhapsmaybeprobably applying for History but I'd have liked to have the option open to change to English when the time comes.

"When the time comes."
    Very Lion King.

ReputationRep:
    This guys videos are awesome! He has HUNDREDS. Calculus, Business, Linear Algebra, Biology, Chemistry & University Maths.

That way is the way you should be using in the exam to get partial marks in the exam. I.e. it's the SQA approved way.

And I know why it works :o:

In other news, I'm in my Cambridge room! It much larger than my bedroom at home.

No, it didn't. I don't think my personal statement was anything special, but I do think that it showed a) that I knew what I was talking about, and that b) I had considered my application carefully. I was also very grateful for my reference, which contained a couple gems. :o:

As for jargon, I'm not sure I know what you're talking about. Link? Anything that lets me procrastinate is good.
    People that go.

I like to use my TRANSFERRED EPITHET to boost my understanding of PARALLELISM.

ReputationRep:
    Will I get taught it differently in school or something?
    Not really. Scholar uses the same way and since it is "SQA approved" it is taught almost universally. There are teachers that teach a different way (one at my school for example) which is correct of course but if you do it wrong it won't get you partial marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    In other news, I'm in my Cambridge room! It much larger than my bedroom at home.
    Oooh exciting stuff :yep:
    Met anyone nice yet?

ReputationRep:
    I see, taaaaaaaaaaaa, I hope one day I can reach your legendary status of 100% in AH Maths. One day...:sigh:

Anyways, how is your room? How is it over there?

Tell me...everything :awesome:
    :rofl: I'm not that good at Maths. If you want someone who's good at Maths, go see SimonM.

My room's pretty decent sized! Very nice view, good furniture. Mini-fridge, but no sink :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    SimonM is a god.

(Original post by ukdragon37)
    Mini-fridge, but no sink :sigh:
    There have been worse tradeoffs! Do you have to pay for that?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.