Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Does it snow in glasgow? :awesome:
    :yep:
    I blame my crappy English prelim result on the fact that I was out sledging the whole day before :p:
    And that's what my friend and I did as soon as we finished the Maths prelim

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonshine_1991)
    BTW do you have any opinions on Glasgow uni? I am trying to choose between it and Edinburgh for my final choice on UCAS.
    What are you applying for?

Glasgow
    Beautiful building (hogwarts of Scotland :p:)
    Everything close together (departments, CBD, Halls short walk)
    Good social aspects espcially nightlife
    Increasing reputation
    On the open day, personally I didn't find the staff that helpful and didn't get much information on my course

Edinburgh
    Great academic reputation and resources in certain departments amazing
    Staff very helpful and took interest in what you've done
    Great city atmosphere plus location (countryside,coast)
    Costly living
    Science related departments away from the main campus (20/30 mins)

It's really worth visiting the two, your own first impressions will make a big difference. The main thing really should be the course and can you combine other suitable/interesting subjects to make up your credits that suit you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    What are you applying for?

Glasgow
    Beautiful building (hogwarts of Scotland :p:)
    Everything close together (departments, CBD, Halls short walk)
    Good social aspects espcially nightlife
    Increasing reputation
    On the open day, personally I didn't find the staff that helpful and didn't get much information on my course

It's really worth visiting the two, first imprssions and your own will make a big difference.
    I am swithering between Glasgow and Edinburgh for history but I hope that it won't really matter which I choose as history isn't my top choice, it is more a back up in case I don't get any law offers. The main thing is that since I am from Edinburgh I will probably have a better chance of getting there. I love Glasgow as a city but i prefer Edinburgh. Glasgow is great and most importantly it isn't my home city so it would be a new experience, somewhere new.

ReputationRep:
    I am swithering between Glasgow and Edinburgh for history but I hope that it won't really matter which I choose as history isn't my top choice, it is more a back up in case I don't get any law offers. The main thing is that since I am from Edinburgh I will probably have a better chance of getting there. I love Glasgow as a city but i prefer Edinburgh. Glasgow is great and most importantly it isn't my home city so it would be a new experience, somewhere new.
    Sorry I edited my post :p:
    I don't think you'll get a better chance being from Edinburgh or not, I'm sure it will be down to meeting entry requirements and an amazing personal statement. Yeah, a new experience would be good and exciting - it's good to get away from home plus it's less than an hours train ride back to Edinburgh if you do opt for Glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    Sorry I edited my post :p:
    I don't think you'll get a better chance being from Edinburgh or not, I'm sure it will be down to meeting entry requirements and an amazing personal statement. Yeah, a new experience would be good and exciting - it's good to get away from home plus it's less than an hours train ride back to Edinburgh if you do opt for Glasgow.
    Edinburgh do take distance into account, I was told this by an admissions person. I will have to have a good think this weekend about it. Hopefully it won't matter anyway- I really want to do law at Aberdeen or Edinburgh!

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh do take distance into account, I was told this by an admissions person. I will have to have a good think this weekend about it. Hopefully it won't matter anyway- I really want to do law at Aberdeen or Edinburgh!
    Oh right, didn't know that. Aberdeen :five:

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys new to this thread I'm a 6th year leaving soon ahh!

Anyone written or started their personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayshaH)
    Hey guys new to this thread I'm a 6th year leaving soon ahh!

Anyone written or started their personal statement?
    Hey! I have my PS from last year (I am reapplying- long story) and am just going to change it a wee bit to take into account what I will be doing this year. Hopefully I will have it completed by Monday though. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to apply for Napier but omg the Edinburgh accent just kills me :sigh: Ayrshire accent + Edinburgh accent = :nope:

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to apply for Napier but omg the Edinburgh accent just kills me :sigh: Ayrshire accent + Edinburgh accent = :nope:
    What is wrong with the Edinburgh accent :eek: ?

ReputationRep:
    What is wrong with the Edinburgh accent :eek: ?
    It's kinda hard to understand (for me anyways) .

ReputationRep:
    It's kinda hard to understand (for me anyways) .
    It is clearly the most understandable Scottish accent! Now a difficult accent to understand is the Aberdonian one. Oh and Glasgow.

It is clearly the most understandable Scottish accent! Now a difficult accent to understand is the Aberdonian one. Oh and Glasgow.
    Aberdonian accents are well easy to understand :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallumFR)
    Aberdonian accents are well easy to understand :P
    I went up for the open say last year, had to ask directions to the uni and suffice to say I got very lost :p: .

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I'm getting mixed up :awesome: I wish there were more Ayrshire folk on this forum...O I'd speak so locally you would think I'm high.

Ocht aye, I went doon tae the shoep un i boeght a bottle o juice un it tasted dead waatery maaan. i hink i might go doon tae ayr beach un get blootered wai aw the jaikies.

:biggrin:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I'm getting mixed up :awesome: I wish there were more Ayrshire folk on this forum...O I'd speak so locally you would think I'm high.

Ocht aye, I went doon tae the shoep un i boeght a bottle o juice un it tasted dead waatery maaan. i hink i might go doon tae ayr beach un get blootered wai aw the jaikies.

Some Edinburgh speak like that too. Admittedly mostly from the "rougher" areas. Edinburgh accents are people like Ken Stott Ronnie Corbett and lots of other people I can't think of atm :yep: .

ReputationRep:

wit ye daen hinkin ye cin pretend tae be sum pure hard jaikie on ae innernet when yir jus a wee geek ootside :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedrobear)
    wit ye daen hinkin ye cin pretend tae be sum pure hard jaikie on ae innernet when yir jus a wee geek ootside :awesome:
    aw stope bein such a hefty roastarrrr ya fanny :p:

ReputationRep:
    aw stope bein such a hefty roastarrrr ya fanny :p:
    hood ye even hink yur talkin tae ya mad rocket
    say at agen when ma teams aboot n yill get chibbed in a sec pawl :stomp:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedrobear)
    hood ye even hink yur talkin tae ya mad rocket
    say at agen when ma teams aboot n yill get chibbed in a sec pawl :stomp:
    aye aye bring it oan pal

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.