The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

xo-Heva
Aren't courses shorter in England? Or am I speaking rubbish...

Yes, they're 3 years as opposed to 4. :p: (Or 4 rather than 5 in the case of integrated Master's degrees.)
Reply 7441
xo-Heva
Breakfast?! Bleugh!

And yes you should go!

Is your college strict attendence wise? Is your bursary through yet? :K: Our bursary staff are 4 weeks behind...
Reply 7442
xo-Heva
Aren't courses shorter in England? Or am I speaking rubbish...

Yup.

They do A-Level...

A-Level=AH=Same as first year uni course in scotland.

So they are more advanced.
TheUnbeliever
I think it's alright, but a little overpriced - I haven't actually been for a 'normal' meal. I went to the freshers' formal, which was free, and then went to the compsci formal last night - but you pay in advance for that, and it's certainly quite expensive, but that's not a normal meal (it's served to you at the table, you wear a suit and gown, etc). Plus our DoS provides free wine. :biggrin: But I don't think halls anywhere are great for price - I remember discounting catered at Edinburgh straight away for this reason.

I would really like to live in for my first year, but it doesn't look like I'm ever going to be able to afford living in, even with a loan :eek:.

Seriously, I hate being middle class at times. My parents are separated and combined households income is around ~£120,000 PA. Except, really, my parents can't even contribute the judged amount >.> .

Need to go see about setting up an ISA sometime next week.
LuhLah
Is your college strict attendence wise? Is your bursary through yet? :K: Our bursary staff are 4 weeks behind...

I'm not entitled to a bursery :frown: which sucks. And my parents arn't giving me money anymore because I got a loan. Ha. Grr.
My loan is through as well as my course fees and I applied quite late...
Corpsetaker
I would really like to live in for my first year, but it doesn't look like I'm ever going to be able to afford living in, even with a loan :eek:.

Seriously, I hate being middle class at times. My parents are separated and combined households income is around ~£120,000 PA. Except, really, my parents can't even contribute the judged amount >.> .

Need to go see about setting up an ISA sometime next week.

Sorry, but coming from a state school in a fairly run-down area I really cannot sympathise with anyone moaning about their parents' collective income hitting £120,000...
Kirsten has just found the most addictive game EVER: pandemic 2. Get your ass on there and play! :colone:
Reply 7447
Pedrobear
Sorry, but coming from a state school in a fairly run-down area I really cannot sympathise with anyone moaning about their parents' collective income hitting £120,000...

Yup. Me and my dad are living off £40 a week. It sux.
120k is not middle class surely?! thats quite a lot...
Pedrobear

Who says I don't come from a run down area? :P >60% of my mum's household income comes from her partner, who won't be providing anything. My dad's partner is facing redundancy, though to be fair she said she'd assist.

Not looking for sympathy either, just pointing out how crude SAAS system of working things out is. In reality, my parents have said £2400/pa is what they'd like to give.

edit: Just to quantify, rent alone is ~£4016pa.

Oh, and I do go to a state school D:
Ape Gone Insane
6th Years and Leavers "Common Room/Chat Thread" Thread

Talk about anything concerning 5th/6th year, UCAS, College and University requirements and offers, Prefect/Head boy duties, Essay and NAB deadlines and general discussion about Highers/Advanced Highers + Chat Thread
:ninja:
Previous Legendary thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=958659

I'm concerned about S5. Yep, lots of work, no play...

I got like four NABs after the October Week. Makes me wish I was back in S3, the good old days.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=21706415#post21706415

Thanks to xo-Heva
Corpsetaker
Who says I don't come from a run down area? :P >60% of my mum's household income comes from her partner, who won't be providing anything. My dad's partner is facing redundancy, though to be fair she said she'd assist.

Not looking for sympathy either, just pointing out how crude SAAS system of working things out is. In reality, my parents have said £2400/pa is what they'd like to give.

edit: Just to quantify, rent alone is ~£4016pa.

Oh, and I do go to a state school D:

is £120k your dad+his partner and your mum+ her partners complete income?

surely its just your dads + mums you take into account? :confused:
SittingOnTheDockOfTheBay

:hello: Hello! Welcome aboard the good ship Scottish Quals.
SittingOnTheDockOfTheBay

I got like four NABs after the October Week. Makes me wish I was back in S3, the good old days.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=21706415#post21706415

Thanks to xo-Heva

NABs will soon become old news trust me. You get used to highers very quickly, because, well you've not really got time to mess about. 5th year was definetly the worst year for me, certainly the most stressful. However if you do work hard in 5th year and get really good grades then you can relax a little in your final year, but looks as if you want to go to uni after 5th year?
TheUnbeliever
:hello: Hello! Welcome aboard the good ship Scottish Quals.

Aww...Thanks :biggrin:
Kirsteneg
Kirsten has just found the most addictive game EVER: pandemic 2. Get your ass on there and play! :colone:

Kirsten has spoken! Hello. :colone:
Dado Prso
is £120k your dad+his partner and your mum+ her partners complete income?

surely its just your dads + mums you take into account? :confused:

Household. Both are pegged around ~£60,000PA.
Madjackismad
NABs will soon become old news trust me. You get used to highers very quickly, because, well you've not really got time to mess about. 5th year was definetly the worst year for me, certainly the most stressful. However if you do work hard in 5th year and get really good grades then you can relax a little in your final year, but looks as if you want to go to uni after 5th year?

Yup. Feels like there's more pressure for me because I don't want to have to stay on and re-take any subjects in S6. :frown:
SittingOnTheDockOfTheBay
Aww...Thanks :biggrin:

Hey! You came!
:biggrin:
SittingOnTheDockOfTheBay
Yup. Feels like there's more pressure for me because I don't want to have to stay on and re-take any subjects in S6. :frown:

You don't have to re-take subjects, not if you do well and pass all those you did in 5th year. I was thinking of going to uni after 5th year, but changed my mind, and decided to stay on for 6th year, just for a couple of Advanced Highers and Highers. I'm having a great time in 6th year so far, more relaxed.

Latest