Turn on thread page Beta

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Do you mean Subject Duces?

My school does it on the highest level of the subject in the prelim. So the person with the highest mark in Adv. Higher Biology would get it (he would be in S6)..but subjects like Higher Business Management where there was no Adv. Higher..it could go to a 5th or 6th year...depending on who got the highest mark.
    Same.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    Hopefully that will be the case :yep: but it will be odd at first. I wonder who the companion will be!
    She's Scottish!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    my school is the same as yours. we have S5 Dux Medallist and subject prizes for each higher and advanced higher with all prizes being based on the first prelim results. All subject prizes are £12 book tokens at blackwells, bad times.

how did you mess up your university applications with highers and advanced highers like them? :confused:
    A fatal cocktail of arrogance and procrastination .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lachlan)
    A fatal cocktail of arrogance and procrastination .
    elaborate further...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Isn't everyone? :rolleyes:
    the companion is Scottish

ReputationRep:
    @Lachlan

Your profile seems to suggest to contradict the claim that you messed up your UCAS application, it says you had both a firm and an unconditional insurance and that you met the firm?

ReputationRep:
    OMG that's what the Big Board in front of the exam hall entitled "General Dux" is for..:eek3:

They announced that ages ago. Some redhead.

Also, they showed..

Spoiler:
    Show
    the master coming back in the comic-con trailer "End of time trailer"

Can't wait.
    Yeah seen that, looks awesome Thanks I didn't know about the new companion - she's Scottish aswell
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    :facepalm:

I said isn't everyone basically?

Jack. The Doctor.
    yeah that's everyone.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You're being a bit too literal.
    I'm distant in mind just now. Apologies.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    Are you free right now?

ReputationRep:
    elaborate further...
    Essentially I underestimated the difficulty of getting into Oxford, didn't put enough effort into my application and was rejected, subsequently firmed LSE without considering the implications of going to London, assuming I could piss around my insurance Edinburgh if I decided I wanted to go there. Vacillated for several months and finally decided too late I couldn't afford London leaving me with the option of going to LSE to live in squalor or to go to Aberdeen through clearing as Edinburgh would let me switch to them as I had made my firm offer (AAB).

The irony is that had I failed everything Edinburgh would have taken me, but I get AAA and they don't want me.

Top tip: Don't underestimate the difficulty of getting to top unis and don't assume that University admission staff are anything other than bureaucratic pencil pushers.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Quotation fail.

you forgot to END the quotation "
    "[/QUOTE]

not quick enough.

ReputationRep:
    So...what are you going to do, exactly?
    Have an adventure, see the world, travel from Frogland (France) to the Antipodes and go to Uni next year.

At least that is the plan, it is yet to see fruition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    Are you free right now?
    I'll be having my dinner in about 20 minutes probably, so not worth setting up a game just now, but I can play any time after that.

And please, don't anyone bother to make something out of the word "play.":p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lachlan)
    Essentially I underestimated the difficulty of getting into Oxford, didn't put enough effort into my application and was rejected, subsequently firmed LSE without considering the implications of going to London, assuming I could piss around my insurance Edinburgh if I decided I wanted to go there. Vacillated for several months and finally decided too late I couldn't afford London leaving me with the option of going to LSE to live in squalor or to go to Aberdeen through clearing as Edinburgh would let me switch to them as I had made my firm offer (AAB).

The irony is that had I failed everything Edinburgh would have taken me, but I get AAA and they don't want me.

Top tip: Don't underestimate the difficulty of getting to top unis and don't assume that University admission staff are anything other than bureaucratic pencil pushers.
    damn. is london really that expensive compared to a place like edinburgh?

I'm surprised you couldn't have just asked LSE to release you and allow you to go to edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    damn. is london really that expensive compared to a place like edinburgh?

I'm surprised you couldn't have just asked LSE to release you and allow you to go to edinburgh.
    Yeah your looking about 5k a year for decent accommodation, plus the extra loans for tuition etc. I was finding it hard to justify compared to Edinburgh where we own a flat that would essentially be mine for 4 years.

Also as to LSE releasing me, you would have thought so wouldn't you. However as I had met my conditions I had to gain Edinburgh's consent as they were not legally obliged to take meafter meeting my offer, Edinburgh were oversubscribed and refused. so if I had got CCC they would have had to make space but with AAA they didn't :confused: .
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    I'll be having my dinner in about 20 minutes probably, so not worth setting up a game just now, but I can play any time after that.

And please, don't anyone bother to make something out of the word "play.":p:
    Same. I was going to say 'play' too but I wasn't prepared for the inevitable sexual tension afterward.

ReputationRep:
    :awesome:

Look at Newly Qualified (After training - 2 years) pay for jobs. Let's say Law..Edinburgh is around £35,000 at best...and London firms are like £95,000...most of that is living costs.

So yes, London is expensive. :yep:
    i'm quite certain london isn't as expensive as that makes out. the examples you have stated is probably to do with all the super duper law firms locating in london rather than edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    i'm quite certain london isn't as expensive as that makes out. the examples you have stated is probably to do with all the super duper law firms locating in london rather than edinburgh.
    I think this is true, and I was about to say that. However, there is usually a good living cost allowance of 7 to 10 grand in most things, so that difference is still definitely there!

ReputationRep:
    About law firms in London: I think only a few offer that kind of money, even within the "magic circle", many your still looking at 50k for newly qualified. The 90k posts are generally reserved for those with 1st's from Oxbridge.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.