Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedrobear)
    :woo::woo: :woo: Got it, thank you very much! This is an immeasurable help. Good choices, too, by the way.
    Thanks. It was such a long time ago it seems like a lifetime. At the end of it I swore I'll never write a commentary on music again :p:

ReputationRep:
    I found a £10 note under my maths book :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cleo.)
    I've not read either of them yet, keep meaning to read Au Revoir Les Enfants. We did Jean de Florette and Antigone...loved Antigone, HATED Jean de Florette (I ended up ordering an English translation off eBay because I wanted to finish it ASAP!) I've got a couple of novels at home I keep meaning to read...Bonjour Tristesse and L'Etranger, which a lot of schools seem to study.

Ha, my driving progress is....erratic? :p: I started in April, had three or four lessons then stopped till August, then had maybe six lessons and stopped again (I cancelled one because I was ill, then never rescheduled it...that was at the start of September :rolleyes: ) I keep meaning to book lessons but not getting round to it! Although I'm insured on my mum's car now, so hopefully it'll motivate me more! What about you?

And yeah, I'm doing languages with international relations Can't decide which ones to do though (did French, Italian and Spanish at school, and really want to pick up Russian and German but I have to narrow it down to two!) Do you do any other languages?
    I've got Les Petits Enfants de Siecle as well, but haven't got round to reading it yet. Also picked up a few novels in charity shops, but they've practically become ornaments :p:

I've been having a lesson a week since the end of May (I think I'm on 19 now), but have no idea when I'll be sitting my test. I keep making really stupid mistakes, it's so frustrating!

Ooh I wish I'd had the opportunity to do Italian. I started trying to teach myself it last year, but then exams got in the way :woo: I might do it as a third subject in my first year at uni though :yep: I study Spanish as well Love Spanish and French equally :p: I'm a languages freak :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    I found a £10 note under my maths book :woo:
    I love it when stuff like that happens!!:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    We're studying Au Revoir Les Enfants
    Have you seen the film? The chef guy was the best...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    Do you want a copy of my AH music dissertation last year?

I *think* I still have it despite being in uni at the moment.
    eh, is this offer open to Kirsten? :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen the film? The chef guy was the best...
    I saw most of it, then was ill and didn't see the end! I was gutted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    Sure, PM me your email or would you like it uploaded here? (and subsequently removed)

ReputationRep:
    Sent :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    Sent :p:
    Thank you very much. It's pretty darn good. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cleo.)
    HATED Jean de Florette (I ended up ordering an English translation off eBay because I wanted to finish it ASAP!)
    Jean de Florette is great! Although you need to see the sequel "Manon des Sources" to get a satisfying conclusion. Those are the two that we're studying for the folio as far as I know, but we haven't done much at all besides watch the films.

Unfortunatley I doubt my French is good enough to read French novels myself, except "Le petit Pince" en ce moment (ce que j'ai commencé à lire.).:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    Jean de Florette is great! Although you need to see the sequel "Manon des Sources" to get a satisfying conclusion. Those are the two that we're studying for the folio as far as I know, but we haven't done much at all besides watch the films.

Unfortunatley I doubt my French is good enough to read French novels myself, except "Le petit Pince" en ce moment (ce que j'ai commencé à lire.).:p:
    Yeah, luckily the only translation on eBay was a two-in-one version so I ended up getting both books! I agree, you need to read both of them or at least see the film to understand what's going on.

It can be quite frustrating when you read French books and spend ages looking up words only to find out they're describing something totally pointless and not at all relevant to the plot, but it's great being able to say you've read a book in French even if it does take you forever :yep: It's good if you can get little tag things (I'm not sure how to describe them....kind of like mini post-its that stick out from the edge of the page?) to write down words, that way you don't have to waste time looking them up again.

ReputationRep:
    Hai guys!
    How has everyones day been?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by xo-Heva)
    Hai guys!
    How has everyones day been?
    :hi:

okay.

Yourself?

I wish I'd never got my job. I turned up for my first day today at TK Maxx, they went through how to work the tills for less than two minutes, then left me to it with a huge queue of people waiting to be served when I hadn't a clue. I felt like walking out after 45 minutes and when someone turned up with two trolleys, I wanted to cry. And the worst thing about it is I have to do it all again tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    I wish I'd never got my job. I turned up for my first day today at TK Maxx, they went through how to work the tills for less than two minutes, then left me to it with a huge queue of people waiting to be served when I hadn't a clue. I felt like walking out after 45 minutes and when someone turned up with two trolleys, I wanted to cry. And the worst thing about it is I have to do it all again tomorrow.

Aww, there there, I'm sure things will be better tomor--

wait

no

YOU HAVE A JOB.

I KNOW NOT ONE PERSON ON THIS PLANET AT THE MOMENT WHO'S BEEN SUCCESSFUL IN FINDING A JOB THE PAST YEAR.

YOU DESERVE ZERO SYMPATHY.

Spoiler:
    Show
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    :console: That's a pretty poor introduction, it has to be said, but not your fault - although I realize that won't help with the stress of it! But it'll be quieter tomorrow (and shorter hours?) and you'll get the hang of it. Your first few days will be the worst. Stick with it for a while, because jobs are fairly scarce and you'll really appreciate the money, not to mention you'll want a reasonable reference, but you needn't stay for too long if it continues to suck.

Of course, I say this from the background of never actually having had a job. :o:

Aww, there there, I'm sure things will be better tomor--

wait

no

YOU HAVE A JOB.

I KNOW NOT ONE PERSON ON THIS PLANET AT THE MOMENT WHO'S BEEN SUCCESSFUL IN FINDING A JOB THE PAST YEAR.

YOU DESERVE ZERO SYMPATHY.

Spoiler:
    Show
    :hugs:

Haha, yeah, when my friend who's worked there for over a year told me she was thinking about quitting in the middle of a recession, I told her she was crazy, but now I completely understand why. The 'manager' rolled her eyes every time I asked for help, and customers were saying things like "I'm sure it must be difficult for you", and when I explained to the manager I couldn't get security tags off, she said "There's a surprise." I was looking at the time every two minutes. ******* hated it.

ReputationRep:
    :hi:

okay.

Yourself?

Very good thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hello again

How is people getting on with ucas? Had a few glitches getting my teachers to hurry up with references but finally got it sent away.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.