Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

I probably met the most pretentious **** tonight. Hmmmm, maybe my arch-nemesis. I've never had one.

:holmes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    I probably met the most pretentious **** tonight. Hmmmm, maybe my arch-nemesis. I've never had one.

:holmes:
    - this is your arch nemesis. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Aaah I feel all fuzzy.
    I think this is a common Saturday occurance now :p:

I'm knacked. I didn't hit the hay until 1.30am last night and I had to wake up at 8 this morning. Why don't I go to bed? Goodness knows :p:

I really want to bake some cookies actually. Does anyone have a recipe? Hmm. Google...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by xo-Heva)
    Aaah I feel all fuzzy.
    I think this is a common Saturday occurance now :p:

I'm knacked. I didn't hit the hay until 1.30am last night and I had to wake up at 8 this morning. Why don't I go to bed? Goodness knows :p:

I really want to bake some cookies actually. Does anyone have a recipe? Hmm. Google...
    My cooking ability extends as far as cheese on toast I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, how much work have people done for Advanced Higher Maths, Biology or Geography? Is the investigations and reports progressing in Bio/Geo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Equinox Sky)
    Out of interest, how much work have people done for Advanced Higher Maths, Biology or Geography? Is the investigations/reports progessing?
    Only one out of them I'm doing is Maths, which fortunatley doesn't involve a project or any coursework. I'm actually doing more work in Maths than I normally would but that's becausse I want to study it at Uni and am starting to read up on the subject. First Unit hasn't been all that hard to be honest, but looks like it gets a lot more difficult. Proofs and complex numbers might fall under this category, but both look quite interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    My cooking ability extends as far as cheese on toast I'm afraid.

That sounds really good right now.
    Cheese sandwish in a tosta bag.
    Om nom nom.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Out of interest, how much work have people done for Advanced Higher Maths, Biology or Geography? Is the investigations/reports progessing?
    For biology, I am just past the deciding what to do stage for the investigation. And haven't learned ANY of unit 1 that we're doing in class. Higher was WAY better. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    Only one out of them I'm doing is Maths, which fortunatley doesn't involve a project or any coursework. I'm actually doing more work in Maths than I normally would but that's becausse I want to study it at Uni and am starting to read up on the subject. First Unit hasn't been all that hard to be honest, but looks like it gets a lot more difficult. Proofs and complex numbers might fall under this category, but both look quite interesting.
    Proofs yes, just have to wait and see - strangely enough I'm looking forward to more calculus. I picked this up late so I've had to put a little more extra work in but it seems to be going good.
    What other subjects are you doing then?

ReputationRep:
    Proofs yes, just have to wait and see - strangely enough I'm looking forward to more calculus. I picked this up late so I've had to put a little more extra work in but it seems to be going good.
    What other subjects are you doing then?
    AH Chemistry and AH French.

(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    :console: That's a pretty poor introduction, it has to be said, but not your fault - although I realize that won't help with the stress of it! But it'll be quieter tomorrow (and shorter hours?) and you'll get the hang of it. Your first few days will be the worst. Stick with it for a while, because jobs are fairly scarce and you'll really appreciate the money, not to mention you'll want a reasonable reference, but you needn't stay for too long if it continues to suck.

Of course, I say this from the background of never actually having had a job. :o:
    Thank you. :hugs:

Should I apply for a joint English degree when I have no interest in the other subject just to give me a better chance of getting onto English courses? I've been thinking about it recently and I've decided that I just do not care for Scottish lit, and I'd hate to be forced to study it for four years. But then I'd have blanks on my UCAS form and if I don't get onto single honours, I'll regret not having gone for the joint honours. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    For biology, I am just past the deciding what to do stage for the investigation. And haven't learned ANY of unit 1 that we're doing in class. Higher was WAY better. :yes:
    I really enjoyed higher too, this year I've got rather lazy since I've already got what I need for uni. Saying that, I took the subjects so need to start putting more effort in but the constant homework because of lack of class contact is time consuming!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)

Should I apply for a joint English degree when I have no interest in the other subject just to give me a better chance of getting onto English courses? I've been thinking about it recently and I've decided that I just do not care for Scottish lit, and I'd hate to be forced to study it for four years. But then I'd have blanks on my UCAS form and if I don't get onto single honours, I'll regret not having gone for the joint honours. :sigh:
    You could apply for the joint degree and if you get offers try and change to straight English. I did it last year and was able to change from law and history to straight law. Might be different because I was moving to a less competitive subject, whereas you would be going to a more competitive one.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)

:eek: There's less chance of getting into single honours?!?!?
    :eek:

I really don't want to do scottish literature. It's not true writing... :shifty:

If I had to do a joint, then either music studies or religious studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonshine_1991)
    You could apply for the joint degree and if you get offers try and change to straight English. I did it last year and was able to change from law and history to straight law. Might be different because I was moving to a less competitive subject, whereas you would be going to a more competitive one.
    Law's less competitive than English? :confused:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I really enjoyed higher too, this year I've got rather lazy since I've already got what I need for uni. Saying that, I took the subjects so need to start putting more effort in but the constant homework because of lack of class contact is time consuming!
    *shudders* Just thinking about the work I have to do to catch up over these holidays makes me die a little inside.
    I only picked it because I didn't know if I wanted to do english or biomed at uni but now I've decided and really can't be bothered with biology anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cleo.)
    Law's less competitive than English? :confused:
    At Edinburgh it is. Law is like offers to 1 in 10, English is 1 in 29 as far as I can remember.

ReputationRep:
    *shudders* Just thinking about the work I have to do to catch up over these holidays makes me die a little inside.
    I only picked it because I didn't know if I wanted to do english or biomed at uni but now I've decided and really can't be bothered with biology anymore.

Ohh thanks for the reminder of what I still need to do too Going away up north for a few days so wont get much done then. See, my subjects are related to my uni choices but like you say...it's being bothered to get on and just do it thats my problem, plus the distractions of the common room!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ohh thanks for the reminder of what I still need to do too Going away up north for a few days so wont get much done then. See, my subjects are related to my uni choices but like you say...it's being bothered to get on and just do it thats my problem, plus the distractions of the common room!
    we don't have a common room so I don't really have an excuse. :ashamed:

What's everyone's definition of the top 5 prestigious unis in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    we don't have a common room so I don't really have an excuse. :ashamed:

What's everyone's definition of the top 5 prestigious unis in the UK?

Oxbridge
    St Andrews
    Edinburgh
    Durham

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.