Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lachlan)
    Yeah your looking about 5k a year for decent accommodation, plus the extra loans for tuition etc. I was finding it hard to justify compared to Edinburgh where we own a flat that would essentially be mine for 4 years.
    £5k hmmm. is that student accommodation? i think its about £3-4k most other places, so a bit more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    £5k hmmm. is that student accommodation? i think its about £3-4k most other places, so a bit more expensive.
    Yeah many are over £150pw whereas equivalent in Edinburgh/Glasgow is more like £100pw. Its a big difference for a student, plus the way that everything tends to be more expensive there.

ReputationRep:
    Also as to LSE releasing me, you would have thought so wouldn't you. However as I had met my conditions I had to gain Edinburgh's consent as they were not legally obliged to take meafter meeting my offer, Edinburgh were oversubscribed and refused. so if I had got CCC they would have had to make space but with AAA they didn't :confused: .
    sounds like they were a bit miffed about you making them your insurance for what is probably a competitive course.

what subject + where you looking to reappy next year?

ReputationRep:
    sounds like they were a bit miffed about you making them your insurance for what is probably a competitive course.

what subject + where you looking to reappy next year?
    Edinburgh from my experience have a very strange admissions procedure. They put a lot of weight on how poor a background the candidate comes from etc, no interviews for medicine, see the personal statement as the be all and end all despite its obvious flaws. If there wasn't such financial advantages for me to go to Uni in Edinburgh I would have given them 2 fingers a long time ago :p: .

Erm as for next year haven't really decided. Either Maths and Economics related courses or Economics and History related courses. As for University depends whether I will be in the country for Oxbridge interviews. Probably something like this:

- Oxford/Cambridge
    - Edinburgh
    - Glasgow
    - Herriot watt/Strathclyde
    - Aberdeen

I would like to do a Second Year Entry or Fast track course, but not sure whether any of the Ancients offer it for Economics/History.

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh from my experience have a very strange admissions procedure. They put a lot of weight on how poor a background the candidate comes from etc, no interviews for medicine, see the personal statement as the be all and end all despite its obvious flaws. If there wasn't such financial advantages for me to go to Uni in Edinburgh I would have given them 2 fingers a long time ago :p: .

Erm as for next year haven't really decided. Either Maths and Economics related courses or Economics and History related courses. As for University depends whether I will be in the country for Oxbridge interviews. Probably something like this:

- Oxford/Cambridge
    - Edinburgh
    - Glasgow
    - Herriot watt/Strathclyde
    - Aberdeen

I would like to do a Second Year Entry or Fast track course, but not sure whether any of the Ancients offer it for Economics/History.

What about you?
    yeah edinburgh do seem to give a lot of offers out to people from poor backgrounds. there was quite a few from my school who had only two or three highers in fifth year and still got offers for competitive courses like Politics and Chemistry.

I'm looking at studying maths or chemical engineering. I was considering applying for both through UCAS but I think that could be a big mistake as it shows that i am uncommitted so I really need to make up my mind. The main thing which is putting me off maths is that although it will obviously open a lot of doors I really don't want to end up in a ****** finance job. However the betting industry seems like it would suit be me but I'm not sure how big that is.

If i go for engineering i think it will be Edinburgh, Strathclyde, Manchester, Heriot-Watt and another english uni probably. However if it's maths i think i'll go for Edinburgh, St Andrews, Glasgow, Heriot-Watt and perhaps an english uni. It seems hard to justify an extra £13k or so for tuition fees to study at an english university when barring Oxford/Cambridge, our universities are just as good.

ReputationRep:
    I'm paying about £60 p/w but thats because you are expected to stay on campus here

If I get a job and combine all my money together im expected to pay for my accomodation food and everything else

lol it sucks

But i'm not going to let money get in the way of having a good time :P

ReputationRep:
    Money money money. I hate it sooo much, but yet I can't get enough of it :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Money money money. I hate it sooo much, but yet I can't get enough of it :sad:
    I know the feeling lol

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can do 2nd year entry for non-science courses as far as I'm aware Lachlan

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about changing to second-year entry if and when it turns out that I'm going to Edinburgh. Swings, meet roundabouts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    I don't think you can do 2nd year entry for non-science courses as far as I'm aware Lachlan
    It seems so illogical to me though, for example you will cover a lot of Maths in a 1st year course which you will not do at Adv. Higher, ~70% at Edinburgh I believe. Yet for a history course where you aren't really building on prior knowledge rather skills you have learnt, for example if you study the Nazis in 1st year and do Napoleon in 2nd year, I would be at the same starting point entering 2nd year had I never studied the Nazis in 1st year. Having done Adv. Higher I would be in a good position to cope I would have thought.

You do also get Fast-track courses for example a friend who is going to Glasgow is doing a 3-year BSc (Hons) in Maths because she has good Highers and Adv. Highers. This wasn't a clear option in the prospectus but was arranged post acceptance as they take the top students from the year onto it. I was thinking of enquiring on the phone about this.

ReputationRep:
    You do also get Fast-track courses for example a friend who is going to Glasgow is doing a 3-year BSc (Hons) in Maths because she has good Highers and Adv. Highers. This wasn't a clear option in the prospectus but was arranged post acceptance as they take the top students from the year onto it. I was thinking of enquiring on the phone about this.
    Maths is a science though.

ReputationRep:
    What career paths does a BA in Nordic Studies have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    What career paths does a BA in Nordic Studies have?
    Further study, commerce, advertising, pretty much any graduate job that just specifies 'a degree' (of which there are plenty). Potentially translation, I imagine.

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to do Computing at uni lol, but yet again maths has ruined that option.

**** you maths, **** you.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is a science though.
    True but then this is Fast-Track not 2nd Year entry, it might not be so Faculty specific.

ReputationRep:
    It seems so illogical to me though, for example you will cover a lot of Maths in a 1st year course which you will not do at Adv. Higher, ~70% at Edinburgh I believe. Yet for a history course where you aren't really building on prior knowledge rather skills you have learnt, for example if you study the Nazis in 1st year and do Napoleon in 2nd year, I would be at the same starting point entering 2nd year had I never studied the Nazis in 1st year. Having done Adv. Higher I would be in a good position to cope I would have thought.

At a guess, I would have thought unis don't like people doing non-science 2nd year entry because they want you to take a broad range of subjects for 1st year and that that will enrich your learning. This isn't really the case with the highly subject specific nature of say maths.

I'm looking at a 1st year maths module i have to do (even with 2nd year entry, although it is supposed to be a harder one) and I can do it all now

ReputationRep:
    True but then this is Fast-Track not 2nd Year entry, it might not be so Faculty specific.
    http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/w...126882_en.html

sounds like it's the same thing as 2nd year entry and that it is science + engineering only but i guess it might be possible to persuade the history/economics faculty to allow you to do the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    I just got well and truly owned at Guitar Hero by Kirsteneg. :o:

ReputationRep:
    :d

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.