Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

(Original post by LuhLah)
    Are you applying for college incase ya dun meet the grades? (sorry if that sounds morbid lol.)
    We do not speak of such things. :afraid:

Seriously, don't even go there :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    We do not speak of such things. :afraid:

Seriously, don't even go there :p:
    what do you need to satisfy the entry requirements?

(Original post by Kirsteneg)
    what do you need to satisfy the entry requirements?

Edin - BB (prolly need to be predicted above though)
    Gla - AB
    St As - AA

My school is reluctant to predict me to get AAA this year even though my homework has provided evidence that I could do it, so that I won't "put too much pressure on myself" :sigh: BUT, I've tried explaining that Edinburgh makes offers to those predicted above BBBB, but makes the offers lower. It makes no sense to me or to them, but I don't think they're listening to me
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Gla - AB
    St As - AA

My school is reluctant to predict me to get AAA this year even though my homework has provided evidence that I could do it, so that I won't "put too much pressure on myself" :sigh: BUT, I've tried explaining that Edinburgh makes offers to those predicted above BBBB, but makes the offers lower. It makes no sense to me or to them, but I don't think they're listening to me
    Surely they would just predict you higher to give you a greater chance of getting accepted, and then it's up to you whether you meet the requirements or not? :confused:

Surely they would just predict you higher to give you a greater chance of getting accepted, and then it's up to you whether you meet the requirements or not? :confused:
    My school isn't like most others, Kirsten, in that it's completely and utterly nonsensical :p: They predict what they think you'll get, and then it's up to you to haggle with them to raise them :rolleyes: Makes everything a lot harder than it need be. I hope to God I'll get an A for Geography the second time around, an A for Business as Ape keeps telling me , and an A for Modern, which is one of my strengths :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Gla - AB
    St As - AA

You do know that Edinburgh have upped their entry requirements? Typical offer is now AABB in one sitting AAAB in two.

(Original post by moonshine_1991)
    You do know that Edinburgh have upped their entry requirements? Typical offer is now AABB in one sitting AAAB in two.
    Oh God. Thanks for telling me though I was shocked when Glasgow upped theirs on 1st September. I have AA from last year, so I'll definitely have to convince them to predict me at least AAB this year :work:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I thought it was just AAAB. :confused: And also, why have the requirements gone up?

ReputationRep:
    Oh God. Thanks for telling me though I was shocked when Glasgow upped theirs on 1st September. I have AA from last year, so I'll definitely have to convince them to predict me at least AAB this year :work:
    I was shocked too. I had AAB from last year and got an offer of getting B in my highers. I e-mailed them a few months ago telling me if I get an offer I will now need an A :eek: .

This is a high demand subject. If you meet one or more of our selection criteria (see below) in addition to achieving the minimum entry requirements, you may be offered a place. If not you will probably need to meet (or exceed) the typical entry requirements listed below.
    SQA Highers: AABB

GCE A Levels: AAA

:indiff: How do you know that it's AAAB in two sittings?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    So Glasgow, Edinburgh and St Andrews are at AAAB right? :confused: and Aberdeen at BBBB

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was just AAAB. :confused: And also, why have the requirements gone up?
    Nope. Just had a wee look on their website and it says AABB.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergr...p?id=2,32,Q306

So Glasgow, Edinburgh and St Andrews are at AAAB right? :confused: and Aberdeen at BBBB
    IN ONE SITTING? :eek3:

:p:

ReputationRep:
    This is a high demand subject. If you meet one or more of our selection criteria (see below) in addition to achieving the minimum entry requirements, you may be offered a place. If not you will probably need to meet (or exceed) the typical entry requirements listed below.
    SQA Highers: AABB

GCE A Levels: AAA

:indiff: How do you know that it's AAAB in two sittings?
    was told by an admissions person. May be different because I am applying for law and you English. I will see if I can find the e-mail.

was told by an admissions person. May be different because I am applying for law and you English. I will see if I can find the e-mail.
    Yeah, the admissions lady started by saying "We look for AAA in fifth year" and my face was like OMG and I explained that I had AA but could get AAA this year, and she told me to still go for it. I was very sceptical but she wouldn't have been positive for nothing :confused:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    :eek3: sooooo confused. Looking into it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the admissions lady started by saying "We look for AAA in fifth year" and my face was like OMG and I explained that I had AA but could get AAA this year, and she told me to still go for it. I was very sceptical but she wouldn't have been positive for nothing :confused:
    Found the e-mail. The admissions person said "We would require at least an A grade." I already have AAB in one sitting so that would make my offer, if I get one, at least AAAB in two sittings. I hope the woman has given me dud information though. *prays*

ReputationRep:
    As an aside, I think Edinburgh's offers are still likely to be the same as last year, they're just being more open about what they look for in applicants (in particular so that all the A level applicants don't all whinge when they get rejected having been predicted a grade or two above the standard offer, because they don't realize they're in competition with plenty people at AAA or above).

EDIT: But I might well be wrong, from what moonshine's saying.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Whoa! This has changed since a few weeks ago..
    (from UCAS)

Edinburgh: AABB - BBBB
    Glasgow: AABB - AAAB
    Aberdeen: BBBB
    St Andrews: AAAB
    Durham: AAABB + AA at advanced higher

ReputationRep:
    That's Glasgow. Edinburgh remain BBBB (if you meet criteria for preferential selection) or AABB if you don't. St Andrews is still AAAB as far as I remember.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.