Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    Given up! <_<

Will try again someday!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by javjamoll)
    Given up! <_<

Will try again someday!
    Next time someone else do the room coz it might be something to do with my connection?

ReputationRep:
    Dunno... I looked very loosely on to the nintendo site about the error, but I was playing fine earlier and you seemed to get people on your room fine. Probably BT just being a cow again!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    namedeprived 1-1 Kirsteneg

ReputationRep:
    That was great fun! Sorry I couldn't stay any longer, have to go in 10 minutes. Kirsten and Thomas got pwnd! :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    That was great fun! Sorry I couldn't stay any longer, have to go in 10 minutes. Kirsten and Thomas got pwnd! :p:
    namedeprived 1-1 Kirsteneg. It's not over... :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    namedeprived 1-1 Kirsteneg. It's not over... :ninja:
    We'll see. :p:

ReputationRep:
    My friends came over so I had to disconnect
    Lol they have school and college soon and il be sitting all alone
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ronar)
    My friends came over so I had to disconnect
    Lol they have school and college soon and il be sitting all alone
    We can play tonight or tomorrow if you want.

ReputationRep:
    :hello:

I need help with Higher English... Can't write essays, rubbish at close readings, don't know how I passed Int 2, wish I had failed.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Heather with the Weather)
    :hello:

I need help with Higher English... Can't write essays, rubbish at close readings, don't know how I passed Int 2, wish I had failed.
    I'll help! Yes, I'm an English geek.

Which texts are you studying in class and as personal study??

ReputationRep:
    I'll help! Yes, I'm an English geek.

Which texts are you studying in class and as personal study??
    I'm just going into S5, so I don't know what texts we will be studying yet. I think we have to write a Reflective essay or something like that as well :eek:

I really srtuggled in S4 with English. Do you have any tips for Higher to help give me a chance of passing? I'm dreading English...

ReputationRep:
    We can play tonight or tomorrow if you want.
    My sister hijacked the wii so tommorow :P

ReputationRep:
    Dammit I missed out
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm just going into S5, so I don't know what texts we will be studying yet. I think we have to write a Reflective essay or something like that as well :eek:

I really srtuggled in S4 with English. Do you have any tips for Higher to help give me a chance of passing? I'm dreading English...
    For the reflective essay, your teacher will probably tell you you have to write about something that has happened to you. If you don't want to write about yourself, make something up but just make sure you keep reflecting back on it - how it afffected you/what it's taught you etc.
    Close reading, try to read 'quality articles' froms newspapers such as The Times, The Guardian, Economist etc. throughout the year (maybe 1 per week) as that really helps to familiarise yourself with the standard of the passages in the close reading exam paper. (I'll send you some more detailed tips tonight about close reading )
    Critical essays - Make sure you follow the steps/guidelines that your teacher gives you on how to structure the essay. Sometimes it's just flair but you can learn a formula to answer the questions properly. Make sure you know the texts you are studdying inside out for the exam and a good way of testing this is knowing your quotes. Also, York Notes will probably be available for the novel and play you are studying so search it in amazon - They are a massive help. (If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you more detailed notes on Close Reading and Critical Essays) Also I would recommend buying the How To Pass Higher English book as it's really helpful. If you got an A ant Int 2 then you shouldn't have a problem with passing. The format of Int 2 and Higher is exactly the same but the standard is higher. The jump from Int 2 to Higher is much easier than the jump from SG to Higher. EDIT : I don't need your e-mail address after all.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by xo-Heva)
    Dammit I missed out
    where did you go??

ReputationRep:

Well I sat and did the minimum all year, hating my teacher, realised how screwed I would be if I failed, did 4-5 hours each night 3 weeks before the exam learning quotes, picking them out, analysing and doing close readings.

Don't do this!
    Learn quotes as soon as you get them, write down why you have picked them and work through like this. Don't bother with close reading yet you will just feel rubbish, its something you just learn throughout the year
    Don't learn what your teacher says is right about the novel. I didn't do this because I hated my teacher did my own thing and got an A. Try and be original, examiners love a ifferent slant on a novel or play they have read 50 essays on that day
    Basically it is all down to the exam so if you do mess about all year, not that im advising this of course, as long as you get yourself some hard work before the exam you will be fine
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ronar)
    Well I sat and did the minimum all year, hating my teacher, realised how screwed I would be if I failed, did 4-5 hours each night 3 weeks before the exam learning quotes, picking them out, analysing and doing close readings.

Don't do this!
    Learn quotes as soon as you get them, write down why you have picked them and work through like this. Don't bother with close reading yet you will just feel rubbish, its something you just learn throughout the year
    Don't learn what your teacher says is right about the novel. I didn't do this because I hated my teacher did my own thing and got an A. Try and be original, examiners love a ifferent slant on a novel or play they have read 50 essays on that day
    Basically it is all down to the exam so if you do mess about all year, not that im advising this of course, as long as you get yourself some hard work before the exam you will be fine
    You can write whatever you want in the essay AS LONG as you back it up with sufficient evidence. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Lol I did a key scene question and backed it up with evidence out of the wrong scene and put a scene number that didnt exist
    xD

ReputationRep:
    For the reflective essay, your teacher will probably tell you you have to write about something that has happened to you. If you don't want to write about yourself, make something up but just make sure you keep reflecting back on it - how it afffected you/what it's taught you etc.
    Close reading, try to read 'quality articles' froms newspapers such as The Times, The Guardian, Economist etc. throughout the year (maybe 1 per week) as that really helps to familiarise yourself with the standard of the passages in the close reading exam paper. (I'll send you some more detailed tips tonight about close reading )
    Critical essays - Make sure you follow the steps/guidelines that your teacher gives you on how to structure the essay. Sometimes it's just flair but you can learn a formula to answer the questions properly. Make sure you know the texts you are studdying inside out for the exam and a good way of testing this is knowing your quotes. Also, York Notes will probably be available for the novel and play you are studying so search it in amazon - They are a massive help. (If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you more detailed notes on Close Reading and Critical Essays) Also I would recommend buying the How To Pass Higher English book as it's really helpful. If you got an A ant Int 2 then you shouldn't have a problem with passing. The format of Int 2 and Higher is exactly the same but the standard is higher. The jump from Int 2 to Higher is much easier than the jump from SG to Higher. EDIT : I don't need your e-mail address after all.
    That's a huge help! Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.