Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallumFR)
    Can I ask, is there any specific reason for wanting to do Stats rather than Mechanics ? I guess it depends what you wanna do at Uni, but anyway, just curious!
    Yea, haven't done Physics before (at all!) so thought that Stats would be more accessible, and to be honest, I'd probably be more interested in that. Sorry, I'm sure Mechanics is great! :p:

(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Go for it! (I think it's an interesting, straightforward course, but that mechanics provides better preparation for pure maths study.)

Incidentally, this thread might be of interest.
    Yea I was actually looking at that the other day. One thing that I'd like to know: does the course comprise of only 2 units based on Statistic and the other on Pure Maths(that's what it looks like anyway), if so, is the Pure Maths in any way different to the normal Maths course?

(Original post by Meteorshower)
    I'd assume one reason would be because he's an unbeliever (non-physicist)

Death to the unbelievers!
    :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    Yea I was actually looking at that the other day. One thing that I'd like to know: does the course comprise of only 2 units based on Statistic and the other on Pure Maths(that's what it looks like anyway), if so, is the Pure Maths in any way different to the normal Maths course?
    Yeah, the course has Statistics 1, Statistics 2 and Mathematics for Applied Mathematics. That last unit is a strict subset of the normal maths course - as I say, I'm not certain about which bits from the main course are and are not included, but if you take the two courses together then you don't need to worry about it because it's all covered in the pure class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    I'd assume one reason would be because he's an unbeliever (non-physicist)

Death to the unbelievers!
    :p:
    well your going to kill us all with your parton excellarator thingie anyway

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the course has Statistics 1, Statistics 2 and Mathematics for Applied Mathematics. That last unit is a strict subset of the normal maths course - as I say, I'm not certain about which bits from the main course are and are not included, but if you take the two courses together then you don't need to worry about it because it's all covered in the pure class.
    Ah great, that's reassuring. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    well your going to kill us all with your parton excellarator thingie anyway

It was a joke, I've said it numerous times before :p:
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Heeey I'm a new shiny 6th year...starting tomorow..not amused.. and like the whole of s6 is prefects in our school..we can give out lines mwhahaa annnnd we get the sixth year tie and jumper im not going to get mistaken for a first year again yaaaas xxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    Thanks for the rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    AH Maths, French and Chemistry (and possibly, if i'm sufficiently brave, I'm going to ask about self teaching AH Stats).

How about you?
    Speaking as someone who did that this year, I'd say self-teaching stats is fairly doable, even if the most advanced stats you know is from standard deviation in SG. I'd recommend getting the maths in action books, as they are tailored specifically for the AH course (no such luxury for mechanics people :p: ) and also lots and lots of past papers (taking note of what they expect when they ask you different kind of explanation questions - they are quite vague sometimes on what they want). If you are taking AH pure alongside then you will walk Unit 3, since the difficulty of the questions are normally less than those in a full pure paper. In other words, you only really have two extra units to teach yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Just as a side question, did you apply for the IET scholarship TheUnbeliever?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    Just as a side question, did you apply for the IET scholarship TheUnbeliever?
    I am kicking myself because I missed the deadline. In any case, it looks like it's not going to matter - it didn't cover my course at Edinburgh. Did you? (And if so, have you found out how you got on yet?)

ReputationRep:
    Various classes had different periods they would nominally run. These periods were then negotiable as a whole (i.e. the class would be taught at period x' on day y' instead of period x on day y), and it was acceptable to miss several periods (again, negotiated with the teacher) in order to attend other classes which had clashes. Additionally, some people took extra periods of subjects, usually because they'd dropped others and the school required a minimum workload or you'd be chucked out (in theory).

So there was a timetable, but it wasn't based on columns and was only established once the term was thoroughly on its way.
    That seems like a much better way to do it than columns, imo. That way you'd be able to pick two social subjects or two languages if you wanted (right?), which would be good.
    And being able to get extra periods of some subjects would no doubt come in handy.

ReputationRep:
    I dont start school again 'til Friday. I win! :P

ReputationRep:
    I am kicking myself because I missed the deadline. In any case, it looks like it's not going to matter - it didn't cover my course at Edinburgh. Did you? (And if so, have you found out how you got on yet?)
    Yep, and they are going to wait until the 21st of September before they will even tell me whether I'm getting an interview (which would be on the 30th, one day before NPR starts and on the same day as my possible instrumental awards audition :mad:) Have you got any word from Cambridge yet? Surely you aren't destined for Edinburgh *just yet*
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    has anyone ever heard of the SQA marking certain exam papers wrong, or too harsh or making mistakes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    That seems like a much better way to do it than columns, imo. That way you'd be able to pick two social subjects or two languages if you wanted (right?), which would be good.
    You could indeed - when they school did their little survey of us at the end of the year to get feedback on what we thought was good or bad, I said that I appreciated the flexibility but suggested that they look into streamlining it somehow.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, and they are going to wait until the 21st of September before they will even tell me whether I'm getting an interview (which would be on the 30th, one day before NPR starts and on the same day as my possible instrumental awards audition :mad:) Have you got any word from Cambridge yet? Surely you aren't destined for Edinburgh *just yet*
    Argh, that's a little bit late. Best of luck!

No, no word, but I figure that if I expect Edinburgh (which I do, and have come to terms with - it didn't take long!) then it'll just be a nice surprise otherwise. The grade boundaries for STEP are up by the way. No big surprises in STEP II (1 is 71).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iaincarinish)
    I dont start school again 'til Friday. I win! :P
    Isn't it a bit pointless starting on a Friday from the school's point of view? :confused: May as well let you stay off until the following week.

Speaking as someone who did that this year, I'd say self-teaching stats is fairly doable, even if the most advanced stats you know is from standard deviation in SG. I'd recommend getting the maths in action books, as they are tailored specifically for the AH course (no such luxury for mechanics people ) and also lots and lots of past papers (taking note of what they expect when they ask you different kind of explanation questions - they are quite vague sometimes on what they want). If you are taking AH pure alongside then you will walk Unit 3, since the difficulty of the questions are normally less than those in a full pure paper. In other words, you only really have two extra units to teach yourself.
    Thanks a lot.

I'm just a bit anxious that the School organises all the books etc for me, and then I end up dropping out. Though I suppose I don't really have anything to lose from a personal point of view.

ReputationRep:
    You could indeed - when they school did their little survey of us at the end of the year to get feedback on what we thought was good or bad, I said that I appreciated the flexibility but suggested that they look into streamlining it somehow.
    Yeah, it'd probably be a bit messy at times. Still, the positives must have outweighed the negatives, no? :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    has anyone ever heard of the SQA marking certain exam papers wrong, or too harsh or making mistakes?
    Unfortunately not :/

ReputationRep:
    Argh, that's a little bit late. Best of luck!

No, no word, but I figure that if I expect Edinburgh (which I do, and have come to terms with - it didn't take long!) then it'll just be a nice surprise otherwise. The grade boundaries for STEP are up by the way. No big surprises in STEP II (1 is 71).
    Thanks. The grade boundaries look pretty normal comparison-wise with previous years. Hopefully I will get a 1 in Paper I at least :o:... confidence of Paper II decreases by the day.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.