Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    May I? :p:
    Ooh this sounds fun! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    I'm not convinced. A guy in my year also got 5As, and 4 of those at band 1 as far as I know. :p: (Meteorshower's results are still stellar, obviously. I'll join you in feeling a little inferior. :o:)
    I told them they probably weren't the best, but they didn't listen :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acas13)
    Im going to hold on to the fact that I got one better grade than meteorshower at higher! anyone like to join me? :rolleyes:
    Ape might....

(Original post by Meteorshower)
    Ok, pm me a link :p:
    Done

ReputationRep:
    I told them they probably weren't the best, but they didn't listen :p:
    The modesty strikes again :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    whoaaaaa.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I got some strange, and slightly concerning news today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    Ohh...would you like to talk about it?

ReputationRep:
    What is it? Not too concerning, I hope.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    Ohh...would you like to talk about it?
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    What is it? Not too concerning, I hope.
    Well, I got my actual mark for higher english today which was 61 - 42 for my essays and 19, YES 19, for my close reading Now, my prelim was 81 - 44 for essays and 37 for close reading. My english teacher says the actual result is VERY strange as two other people who were predicted A's (78 and 80 in prelim) also had very low close reading marks (low 20s) and she said it was no coincidence that their last names are E and F and mine is G. So she thinks that something 'fishy' is going on and that the marker who got our batch of close reading either marked it totally wrong or missed a page etc. so they have sent away an appeal for us and wrote a letter to the SQA saying that something weird has happened.

ReputationRep:
    How does jimmy carr speak so..fast

ReputationRep:
    so they have sent away an appeal for us and wrote a letter to the SQA saying that something weird has happened.
    :eek: On one hand, that's confusing and concerning. On the other, it's potentially quite promising - if the SQA have messed up, then it's no water off your back (apart from the stress, which I would expect an apology for, frankly) and your grade gets bumped up. Look for the positives in life!

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I got my actual mark for higher english today which was 61 - 42 for my essays and 19, YES 19, for my close reading Now, my prelim was 81 - 44 for essays and 37 for close reading. My english teacher says the actual result is VERY strange as two other people who were predicted A's (78 and 80 in prelim) also had very low close reading marks (low 20s) and she said it was no coincidence that their last names are E and F and mine is G. So she thinks that something 'fishy' is going on and that the marker who got our batch of close reading either marked it totally wrong or missed a page etc. so they have sent away an appeal for us and wrote a letter to the SQA saying that something weird has happened.
    That is pretty strange and you seemed rather confident about it too, well hopefully there has been a mistake and you can get your A after all

ReputationRep:
    Hmm sounds quite fishy to me. Unfortunately you aren't allowed to ask for your script back so the SQA (if they are in a nasty mood) could just keep their head in the sand and say nothing wrong happend. My music teacher swears this happend to my Higher Music last year, after a very unexpected low performance mark.

EDIT: But I'm sure it won't happen to you :p: Must keep being optimistic!

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of anything like this happening before.
    It seems to coincidental to be excusable.
    Hopefully you get the A you deserve! :yep:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    That is pretty strange and you seemed rather confident about it too, well hopefully there has been a mistake and you can get your A after all
    Here's hoping. In the end though it probably won't really matter as I'm doing AH this year but it's annoying all the more if the SQA have mucked up before and the people didn't notice. It's people's future in the balance here. I'm not getting my hopes up though.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thanks everyone. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I like the 'S' marker haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    Hmm sounds quite fishy to me. Unfortunately you aren't allowed to ask for your script back so the SQA (if they are in a nasty mood) could just keep their head in the sand and say nothing wrong happend. My music teacher swears this happend to my Higher Music last year, after a very unexpected low performance mark.

EDIT: But I'm sure it won't happen to you :p: Must keep being optimistic!
    Did you get examined by who was then the chief examiner for music? I know it's a while ago, but my music teacher reckoned because it was his last year he wasn't really doing it properly... I mean, not having gotten any better, my grade for guitar has gone from 14 or 17 (can't actually remember which) to 27 this year. I definitely think that something dodgy was going on too. All the singers got full marks aswell... which was slightly odd.

Kirsten, try and follow it up, you wont lose anything. But don't get too hopeful, sometimes mistakes happen and unfortunately they don't get corrected.

ReputationRep:
    Did you get examined by who was then the chief examiner for music? I know it's a while ago, but my music teacher reckoned because it was his last year he wasn't really doing it properly... I mean, not having gotten any better, my grade for guitar has gone from 14 or 17 (can't actually remember which) to 27 this year. I definitely think that something dodgy was going on too. All the singers got full marks aswell... which was slightly odd.

Kirsten, try and follow it up, you wont lose anything. But don't get too hopeful, sometimes mistakes happen and unfortunately they don't get corrected.
    No but apparently the examiner went to music college with my music teacher and her main study is the same as mine (flute). We've decided either she marked it too harshly (AH-wise) because she actually knows the stuff or it was a scribing error. I only managed 16 out of 30 when I passed grade 7 with merit with the exact same pieces weeks before. :mad: Thankfully we've decided to play the SQA's game this year and the whole music department's not letting anyone do any pieces higher than the minimum grade required so there will be no room for extra criticism.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Well they've sent it away with a letter but even if they did mark it properly and I did do that bad then I might still have a chance of getting and appeal as my prelim was 81 and the folio has essays at 25 and 23 and close reading at 35 which may suggest I had a 'bad day'. But in my mind I've just accepted a B and not expecting to get it appealled. :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.