Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Can you guys tell me what happens at Freshers week? Do you get told in 6th year what happens. By the sounds of it, it's all about getting drunk and going clubbing with random people :awesome:
    I think that's quite a bit of it! No, we didn't get told anything about it in S6. You have to matriculate (register), and at the uni I'm going to (Dundee) we have to go to some course-specific info sessions and a IT tutorial.

You get sent stuff telling you the events which are on each day in fresher's week during the summer, and there are fresher's facebook sites for each uni aswell.

ReputationRep:
    On the topic of uniform, I'm going to miss mine actually:o: the pockets in my blazer held just about everything I ever needed going anywhere.

Like what a lot of people have said, when our new headteacher started, uniform was enforced much more strictly. Everyone from s3 up had to wear a shirt and tie; previously all years had the choice of shirt/tie or swearshirt/poloshirt. We had to wear ties up to the neck, and only black pullovers over shirts (previously people got away with basically any colour) and plain black shoes (no trainers).
    It's been quite well adhered to by the vast majority of pupils, with the exception of a few individuals (i.e. neds:p: )

ReputationRep:
    Yeugh, I can't stomach the thought of going back to school now I shouldn't have got drawn into this so much. plzplzplzplz ayr let me in. argh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    ayr let me in. argh.
    I thought you'd made your grades - how come you've got to wait again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    I thought you'd made your grades - how come you've got to wait again?
    Reserve list :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Yeugh, I can't stomach the thought of going back to school now I shouldn't have got drawn into this so much. plzplzplzplz ayr let me in. argh.
    I know what you mean.
    I have a LOT of summer work Id been given by teachers to do over the summer. I haven't touched it and I won't bother.
    But if I don't get in and I have to go back to school... oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xo-Heva)
    I know what you mean.
    I have a LOT of summer work Id been given by teachers to do over the summer. I haven't touched it and I won't bother.
    But if I don't get in and I have to go back to school... oh dear.
    Omg omg omg omg me too! I have a test for chemistry, all my PSL notes and I was off all the last week I'm screwed. But who knows, we might still get in.

This thread got stickied. Awesome. We go back to school on the 19th
    18th. Another school near us is going back on the 21st :lolwut:

(Original post by Meteorshower)
    You know how I was going to open my exam results on a Big Wheel in Blackpool? :awesome:

Well the holiday was postponed by a week so I'm going tomorrow. Bye, people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    You know how I was going to open my exam results on a Big Wheel in Blackpool? :awesome:

Well the holiday was postponed by a week so I'm going tomorrow. Bye, people.
    Have fun!
    I've never been to Blackpool

(Original post by bex285)
    Have fun!
    I've never been to Blackpool
    Thanks! If you're looking for a fun holiday at its tackiest then a few days in Blackpool is great fun, especially the Pleasure Beach which has some amazing rides, rather like a watered-down Alton Towers. :p: I'm going to visit the zoo :woo:

ReputationRep:
    All you part timers going back on the 18th, we're going back on the Monday (17th).

I think I'm actually going to go and do some Maths. 'Cos I'm cool.

Have fun by the way Arcadia.

ReputationRep:
    :awesome:

Ape VS Namedeprived..highest mark in the AH Maths Prelim. :ninja: there can be only one winner. :ninja:

February 2010

At a TSR thread near you.
    You're on. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    You guys! *shakes head*

Unless you do the same prelim, it's an unfair comparison :p:

Have fun Arcadia btw!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    Thanks! If you're looking for a fun holiday at its tackiest then a few days in Blackpool is great fun, especially the Pleasure Beach which has some amazing rides, rather like a watered-down Alton Towers. :p: I'm going to visit the zoo :woo:
    Lol, I'll bear that in mind! :p: I love zoos!! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Offtopic but what did you get for Adv Higher Maths prelim..so we can have a 3-way comparison and I have something more realistic (100% isn't realistic) to aim for...

:ninja:
    I got 82%

I fail to see why it matters though :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hey people, in the previous results discussion thread which is closed now, I posted a question regarding me choosing advanced higher physics in 6th year. Some kind person called Ukdragon and someone else ( sorry i cannot remember) replied back to me and told me that I should do higher maths alongside Adv Physics if I'm ought to do it. I will be doing higher maths in 6th year since i got an A in int 2 maths this year. Now the reason i'm considering doing adv physics alongside adv computing is that I'm thinking of applying to the faculty of engineering at glasgow university. And adv physics is actually recommended, Specifically I'd like to do Microcomputer systems engineering. If i propose this to my school, would it increase my chances to get into adv physics? Also i enjoyed higher physics and i'd like to continue with physics as it was enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z_Ahmed)
    Hey people, in the previous results discussion thread which is closed now, I posted a question regarding me choosing advanced higher physics in 6th year. Some kind person called Ukdragon and someone else ( sorry i cannot remember) replied back to me and told me that I should do higher maths alongside Adv Physics if I'm ought to do it. I will be doing higher maths in 6th year since i got an A in int 2 maths this year. Now the reason i'm considering doing adv physics alongside adv computing is that I'm thinking of applying to the faculty of engineering at glasgow university. And adv physics is actually recommended, Specifically I'd like to do Microcomputer systems engineering. If i propose this to my school, would it increase my chances to get into adv physics? Also i enjoyed higher physics and i'd like to continue with physics as it was enjoyable.
    If you express why it's beneficial to what you want to do in the future, and assure them you'll work hard your school *should* let you do it.

Personally I think you'd be fine with it overall, as long as you made sure to nail the concepts in higher maths pretty quickly.

ReputationRep:
    83% IT IS!
    Fair enough!

I'm really not bothered though :p:

(Original post by Z_Ahmed)
    I agree with what Meteorshower has said.

You need to know some basic calculus for AH physics, and this isn't taught until Unit 2 and 3 of H Maths, so you might need to ask for extra help when you encounter this before you're taught it in Maths (i.e. when you're deriving kinematic equations using calculus)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.