Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    COME ON YOU!!!!!

Find me some percentages!!!!!!!

I told someone it was 78% for an A..and I don't want to look a fool.
    Wait, are you serious? I gave you the numbers and told you that they were out of 130. Not because I was being obtuse but because I skipped over the word 'percentage'.

In any case, I've just remembered that those are wrong - the SQA updated the spreadsheet after I copied those. Sorry, but you were wrong (but justifiably so - the spreadsheet did originally say that it was 78%).

Correct:
    A1 81.5%
    A2 71.5%
    B3 59%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    And STEP at midnight.
    MIDNIGHT?! Oh s*** :eek:

Are you phoning up tomorrow to the Trinity admissions office?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    MIDNIGHT?! Oh s*** :eek:
    :rofl: Yep. Just 3 hours to go!

Are you phoning up tomorrow to the Trinity admissions office?
    Definitely not. I'm more than happy to go to Edinburgh (although I'm going to see about switching to second year entry) and I don't see much sense in debating the point with Trinity. After all, the school tried to negotiate the offer to begin with (not at my request, I hasten to add: they asked if I minded, and I was more than willing to acquiesce - nothing ventured, nothing gained) and got nowhere.

ReputationRep:
    What's with all this midnight STEP business?
    Maths admissions people are sadists :p:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: Yep. Just 3 hours to go!

Definitely not. I'm more than happy to go to Edinburgh (although I'm going to see about switching to second year entry) and I don't see much sense in debating the point with Trinity. After all, the school tried to negotiate the offer to begin with (not at my request, I hasten to add: they asked if I minded, and I was more than willing to acquiesce - nothing ventured, nothing gained) and got nowhere.
    I had no idea it was that early! I was going to go to bed and wake up all expectant tomorrow morning!

Surely if you phone up Trinity you aren't going to lose anything, and may yet persuade them you should get a place. In my pre-pack it sorted of implied that people who misses their offer should phone up (my interviewer said to "keep communications open" as well) because it asks anyone else *not* to phone.

ReputationRep:
    I saw my room today for halls

This is the view

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronarr/3837588232/

Lochh!
    And rabbits and ducks but not in the photo, I missed the rabbit

and a bit of my room, its very small

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronarr/3837806044/

yaay!!

I'm so so so so excited

ReputationRep:
    What's with all this midnight STEP business?
    It's like MySQA for the Cambridge Maths entrance exams but it gets published at midnight apparently.

(Original post by Meteorshower)
    Maths admissions people are sadists :p:
    Indeed they are. Now I shall know what I got and if I don't meet the STEP offer (most likely not) I won't be able to access track or contact the admissions office until tomorrow morning. So a sleepless night awaits!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck ukdragon37 and TheUnbeliever as regards STEP results.

ReputationRep:
    I had no idea it was that early! I was going to go to bed and wake up all expectant tomorrow morning!
    You can still do that, of course. :p:

Surely if you phone up Trinity you aren't going to lose anything, and may yet persuade them you should get a place. In my pre-pack it sorted of implied that people who misses their offer should phone up (my interviewer said to "keep communications open" as well) because it asks anyone else *not* to phone.
    I'm not worried about losing anything, I just don't think that the expected utility I would gain (whilst I'd appreciate going to Cambridge, it's not a big probability that I'd change their mind) is sufficient to balance out the cost of putting myself through an emotional rollercoaster once again. :o: I haven't got anything that says to call or otherwise, but the main 'You've got your results... now what?' page would suggest that the university's policy, at least, is that they would rather you just sat tight.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck you guys

ReputationRep:
    I SPENT 45 FOOKING MINUTES scouring the St Andrews Uni website...looking through their prospectus, courses again and again only to find they don't even have a Faculty of Law.

WTF
    haaaa

i did that looking for biomeical science My cat is ill :sad:

ReputationRep:
    You can still do that, of course. :p:

I'm not worried about losing anything, I just don't think that the expected utility I would gain (whilst I'd appreciate going to Cambridge, it's not a big probability that I'd change their mind) is sufficient to balance out the cost of putting myself through an emotional rollercoaster once again. :o: I haven't got anything that says to call or otherwise, but the main 'You've got your results... now what?' page would suggest that the university's policy, at least, is that they would rather you just sat tight.
    But the fact that you've applied to an (optional) maths part of computer science would have most likely increased the difficulty of your offer. So if you didn't quite make it there's still the chance that you've met the conditions given to a comparable offer for computer science only.

Well it's up to you what you do, but like they all say, you might regret it years later :p:

ReputationRep:
    Do you think you got the STEPs grades you needed?
    I wouldn't like to call it either way. I know for a fact that I outright failed (i.e. got a U) in paper III because I simply didn't write enough, and what I did write was nonsense.

I reckon I'm on the 2/1 borderline in paper II but I don't know the marking or papers well enough to say which way it would fall. For example, I thought that I had single figures in paper III but it would appear that the lowest mark was 16, which is at least a little promising.

Put it this way: I was more sure that I would miss my AH offer than I am sure that I'll miss my STEP offer. To what extent that was because I'm more familiar with my performance in SQA exams and their marking...

(Original post by Ronar)
    I saw my room today for halls
    It looks good! What's the glass thing (looks like a very little room) at the left hand side of the internal photo?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think you got the STEPs grades you needed?
    No I think i'm going to narrowly miss it on the easier paper and miss it handsomely (but hopefully not too embarrassingly) on the harder paper.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see you were quoting TheUnbeliever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xo-Heva)
    Good luck you guys
    Heather have you heard of anyone doing animation for AH Art? I came across this and thought it was rather nifty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNNNILFFQtc

ReputationRep:
    But the fact that you've applied to an (optional) maths part of computer science would have most likely increased the difficulty of your offer.
    We shall see soon enough.

Well it's up to you what you do, but like they all say, you might regret it years later :p:
    Magic 8 ball says 'very doubtful'. Edinburgh's not that much inferior to Cambridge in reputation for computer science, if at all. Throw in that it's an integrated Master's (which means I don't have to pay for that before I can move onto my PhD) and that I loved the course, and it's not like it's anything other than a fantastic insurance.

It has downsides of course, but one of the biggest is that it means no massive change in my day-to-day routine, where I'd kind of hoped to move away from home. That is something that I can rectify in later years of my degree.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't like to call it either way. I know for a fact that I outright failed (i.e. got a U) in paper III because I simply didn't write enough, and what I did write was nonsense.

I reckon I'm on the 2/1 borderline in paper II but I don't know the marking or papers well enough to say which way it would fall. For example, I thought that I had single figures in paper III but it would appear that the lowest mark was 16, which is at least a little promising.

Put it this way: I was more sure that I would miss my AH offer than I am sure that I'll miss my STEP offer. To what extent that was because I'm more familiar with my performance in SQA exams and their marking...

It looks good! What's the glass thing (looks like a very little room) at the left hand side of the internal photo?
    Behind the bed theres a sink, theres no glass but the wooden thing going up the way is attached to the cupboard up, you can't really see it lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bassmonkey)
    Sounds like a perfect question, really suits the book. Wish I'd done something specific like that, instead of just exploring the themes (and I threw in quite a bit of the symbolism too, it's all over the place!)

Good luck!
    "How does King show the affect of parents inflicting their religion on their children by using characterisation and symbolism?"

I thought I could write about how carries ignorance of menstruation, the way how she is bullied, using her powers to destroy and get revenge on all those who bullied her, the way how her mum treats her, how she seems to develope and get stronger as the story goes on AND using the prom night, the stones & st Chris, all the blood as symbolism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    Heather have you heard of anyone doing animation for AH Art? I came across this and thought it was rather nifty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNNNILFFQtc
    Wow! I don't think my school allows anything except expressive and design, but that is so cool! I bet its great fun to do :p:

ReputationRep:
    We shall see soon enough.

Magic 8 ball says 'very doubtful'. Edinburgh's not that much inferior to Cambridge in reputation for computer science, if at all. Throw in that it's an integrated Master's (which means I don't have to pay for that before I can move onto my PhD) and that I loved the course, and it's not like it's anything other than a fantastic insurance.

It has downsides of course, but one of the biggest is that it means no massive change in my day-to-day routine, where I'd kind of hoped to move away from home. That is something that I can rectify in later years of my degree.
    Personally I think the JMC course at Imperial's superior than Cambridge's (hopefully my admissions tutors are not prowling this forum :ninja:) with its 50% maths content built-in through the course and the option for placement in industry. But then living in London has its expensive disadvantages and the fact that Cambridge is much smaller and quieter pulled it in the end.

Looks like we are both pretty happy about our insurance offers!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.