Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    \m/ (^_^) \m/

New thread!

Sorry I arrived a little late to the shindig.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallumFR)
    I agree with what Meteorshower has said.

You need to know some basic calculus for AH physics, and this isn't taught until Unit 2 and 3 of H Maths, so you might need to ask for extra help when you encounter this before you're taught it in Maths (i.e. when you're deriving kinematic equations using calculus)
    Thanks for the reply, so calculus is only the major concept from higher maths which needs to be understood and implemented?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    YEAH YEAH YEAH
    Ok Ape, i'll pretend to care, just for you

(Original post by Z_Ahmed)
    Thanks for the reply, so calculus is only the major concept from higher maths which needs to be understood and implemented?
    I can't remember every topic from H Maths, but calculus is definitely one of the main ones you need The trig might come in useful too, I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallumFR)
    I can't remember every topic from H Maths, but calculus is definitely one of the main ones you need The trig might come in useful too, I think
    Not really, as far as I can remember you only need 3rd year trig even for advanced higher. Apart from when you need to differentiate/integrate trig :p:

It's only really differentiation and integration that is necessary as far as I remember, but other things help for understanding.

ReputationRep:
    I just woke up from a nap

Question for the AH physicists: I was under the impression that Fourier series came into the course. Was I grievously misinformed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)

Question for the AH physicists: I was under the impression that Fourier series came into the course. Was I grievously misinformed?
    Yes. There is an aside in the waves section of the scholar book talking about how sawtooth waves can be created, but as for what's actually in the course, it's not there.

ReputationRep:
    Would AH Chemistry require Maths? If you say yes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Credit level ability would help, but it's certainly not required.

(that said, you notice things that are pretty cool occasionally with a knowledge of higher maths, but only on a trivial level :p:)

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware SG/Int 2 would suffice. So as you're doing Int 2 this year you should be fine. Doesn't mention anything about it in the arrangements documents either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)

It is, but it's only mentioned in passing about how any wave can be formed by sin and cos. It's probably an examinable fact but you just don't learn anything useful that can be done with it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh goodie. AH Biology recommends ya have a pass in H Chem.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    hello. The other thread got closed.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    That DEFINATELY helps. If anyone didn't have a higher pass at chemistry I think they would find it quite difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    hello. The other thread got closed.
    Hello. :hello:

It's sad isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Argh. I was planning to do AH Biology at the same time as H Chem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitamin D)
    You can still do it I doubt there would be a lot of chem in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitamin D)
    I'd think that's definitley possible. I know of at least 2 people in my year doing that this year.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You could still do it. The chemistry stuff in AH biology gets taught to you so you don't really have to have H chemistry but it definately helps to have that background knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    I'd think that's definitley possible. I know of at least 2 people in my year doing that this year.
    Oh, that's good to know Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.