Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    Would anyone want to read it? :awesome: I love the 'word' "Englishy". :rofl:
    Yep, along with sciency, historyish, arty farty, languagy and many others.

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Law. I'll maybe apply for something else as well (Economics? Maths?) while I'm at it since I have 5 choices and Glasgow/St Andrews won't be in them. :p:. Dundee, Edinburgh and Aberdeen..one of them but I REALLY want Dundee. It's perfect for Law to be honest and it's home.

I had a look at the TSR Personal Statements..****.

Even the ones I consider to be of a really high standard..if you look at the comments below the PS, it shows you so many things wrong with the Personal Statement.
    I don't plan to use them, rather ask my English teacher what her son put in his to get his offers for English. :yep: I'm not holding my breath for 2010 entry but I'll be 18 in 2011 and maybe a year out will benefit me more than moving out at 17. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think the physics personal statements on TSR were all that good...

(Original post by LuhLah)
    Yep, along with sciency, historyish, arty farty, languagy and many others.
    LANGUAGY! :love:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the congratulations, guys.

Law. I'll maybe apply for something else as well (Economics? Maths?) while I'm at it since I have 5 choices and Glasgow/St Andrews won't be in them.
    Remember you only have a single personal statement for all of your applications. I do think a Law PS would give you a fighting chance at maths and a reasonable possibility for economics (although it's a very competitive course).

Even the ones I consider to be of a really high standard..if you look at the comments below the PS, it shows you so many things wrong with the Personal Statement.
    What do you mean? (Not making any point at all, I simply don't know what you're referring to. :o:)

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone want to read it? :awesome: I love the 'word' "Englishy". :rofl:

We were shown a model PS and this girl had been to Lourdes, Africa, South America, India, hospital work experience; she had done absolutely everything to get into medicine, and my friend said to me: "Christ, you have to be Mother Theresa to get a uni place these days." :rofl:
    I would like to have a read :yep: PM it though, that's if you want :o:

ReputationRep:
    Law. I'll maybe apply for something else as well (Economics? Maths?) while I'm at it since I have 5 choices and Glasgow/St Andrews won't be in them. :p:. Dundee, Edinburgh and Aberdeen..one of them but I REALLY want Dundee. It's perfect for Law to be honest and it's home.

Omg, I know.

What do they want?!! My soul?!! :emo:

(Original post by Meteorshower)
    I question their authenticity. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    What do you mean? (Not making any point at all, I simply don't know what you're referring to. :o:)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...nts_by_Subject

See there.

I'd love this as my PS:

"Look, I've went to the trouble of going to your bloody open day, only to get bored out my nut, only to find out I need more grades and crap. I don't go to any clubs, nor do I see hoe they affect me getting into uni. I did work experience in a bank. I have a stutter. I hate Highers and I hate you.

So, to conclude, LET ME IN, PLEAASSSEEE"

(Original post by rosie9391)
    I would like to have a read :yep: PM it though, that's if you want :o:
    I'm afraid it doesn't exist! But if I do end up miserable at uni then I'll get back to you. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I question their authenticity. :holmes:
    If someone did pay for them or something, then they certainly didn't get their moneys worth :p:

ReputationRep:

i'm not sure it would be wise to apply for economics/maths as well as law as it is rather competitive so you might have to spend your PS talking all about law meaning you'll probably get rejected from the economics/maths courses. i'm in the same sort of situation and i think i'm going to have to pick engineering over maths at this early stage.

why aren't you planning to apply for glasgow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    "Look, I've went to the trouble of going to your bloody open day, only to get bored out my nut, only to find out I need more grades and crap. I don't go to any clubs, nor do I see hoe they affect me getting into uni. I did work experience in a bank. I have a stutter. I hate Highers and I hate you.

So, to conclude, LET ME IN, PLEAASSSEEE"
    :rofl: A friend of mine started his with "You do not want to be reading this." :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Offer from Queens' College, Cambridge! :woo:

The admissions officer called my parents while I was out at a friend's house and told them that he thought I might be 'interested to hear from them' :p:
    Congratulations!

You bloody well deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    You bloody well deserve it.
    So...you got into the one you wanted?
    Thanks @Ape - It's not my original college (Trinity) but it is another I saw and liked. It's a little over half the size of Trinity (but then Trinity is a very large college).

Did he get in? :awesome:
    Cambridge and LSE both rejected him (Cambridge post- and LSE pre-interview) but he got in to Edinburgh and Durham. The first sentence was followed by a rather pretentious pseudo-Economic justification. It was probably a bit Marmite-esque.

what hope do the rest of us have of writing a kickass application?
    On the other hand, a cheerful thought is that your personal statement will be one in a stack of dozens and they're not going to spend so long analysing it as tightly as you could do 'offline', as it were. I can't say I expended a vast amount of effort on my personal statement. I wrote one draft, was told it was rubbish, and wrote another in a drastically different (much more boring) style. Total time spent was probably an hour and a half. Just talk yourself up.

ReputationRep:
    I only wrote one draft, posted it in the TSR bit and changed it sligtly afterwards. I wrote the whole thing typing it into the box online :p:

ReputationRep:

The admissions officer called my parents while I was out at a friend's house and told them that he thought I might be 'interested to hear from them' :p:
    Congratulations! You beat the odds to get an offer through the summer pool, deserved it too! :p:

Queens' is stilll arse-kicking ofc You'll be joining at most 6 other CompScis there.

I guess I might see you in October!

But still..Cambridge

Anyways, yeah..but everyone's going to start with some law or phrase from jurisprudence as their first line and follow that by some pretentious pseudo-legal justification. :awesome:

I was told by the Admissions office it is 1000 applicants for 130 places.

Is that above or below average in terms of Law?

How can you bear the wait before you hear back from the uni? I mean, isn't it like a 2 month wait or whatever. Do you hear back earlier if you submit your application earlier?
    Should I post my PS?

ReputationRep:

Congrats that's great
    You'll be glad to finally have some certainty!

(Original post by Meteorshower)
    Arghhhhhhhhh, physics personal statement, I don't even know where to begin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallumFR)
    Arghhhhhhhhh, physics personal statement, I don't even know where to begin
    I can Pm you my one if you want?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.