Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallumFR)
    Arghhhhhhhhh, physics personal statement, I don't even know where to begin
    It'll probably take quite a bit of time, and quite a few drafts I'm afraid

I started by working out what paragraphs I wanted; why you love your subject, why you want to study it, extra curriculars, motivation, school involvement etc. and then just writing whatever I thought might be useful under each heading, without any effort to communicate it properly. Then you can go back and spend lots of time joining it all up and making it sound impressive, but you've got everything you need there already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Do you hear back earlier if you submit your application earlier?
    Generally not, I hear. Depends on the university. St Andrews is mega-late with everyone, no matter when you apply.

ReputationRep:
    All this talk about Personal Statements... I've not even thought about mine yet, though I suppose that's because I'm not 100% sure on what I want to study.

To be honest, I'm more worried about actually managing to write 4700 characters or whatever it is, rather than trying to keep under it. :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    Would anyone want to read it? :awesome: I love the 'word' "Englishy". :rofl:

We were shown a model PS and this girl had been to Lourdes, Africa, South America, India, hospital work experience; she had done absolutely everything to get into medicine, and my friend said to me: "Christ, you have to be Mother Theresa to get a uni place these days." :rofl:
    India...check. 4 more to go.

(Original post by Meteorshower)
    I can Pm you my one if you want?
    Yes please, that would be amazingly kind of you! Maybe in a few weeks though... I don't want to read something great in it, have it lurking in my mind and then write it in mine without realising it came from yours, if you know what I mean?

With the Big Bang

/bad joke
    Yeah, bad joke... still, it was amusing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallumFR)
    Yes please, that would be amazingly kind of you! Maybe in a few weeks though... I don't want to read something great in it, have it lurking in my mind and then write it in mine without realising it came from yours, if you know what I mean?
    Oh sure, just give me a buzz when you want it in case I forget :p:

Akj08 has very good advice, but I would add that 2/3 subject related 1/3 extra crap is a good general rule. Also, you don't necessarily *need* to use 4000 characters (i think that's what it is) and succinct yet short >> verbose but long

My 15 year old friend is English and got AABB in her A-levels in proper subjects: history - A, english - A, maths - B, psychology - B. :eek3:

I am royally confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    Queens' is stilll arse-kicking ofc You'll be joining at most 6 other CompScis there.

I guess I might see you in October!
    Cheers. I would offer you a drink but, at this rate, I think I'm likely to end up very poor and very drunk. :p: Actually, poking round their prospectus, it sounds like it does very well by its computer scientists.

Have you found out if you're doing the maths option or one of the others in the first year? I'm thinking about taking psychology if I can. I miss writing essays...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    :rofl: A friend of mine started his with "You do not want to be reading this." :eek:
    Yes, sometimes honesty isn't the best case. :huff:

"If you don't let me in, I'll track you down and eat your pets." :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Cheers. I would offer you a drink but, at this rate, I think I'm likely to end up very poor and very drunk. :p: Actually, poking round their prospectus, it sounds like it does very well by its computer scientists.

Have you found out if you're doing the maths option or one of the others in the first year? I'm thinking about taking psychology if I can. I miss writing essays...
    Oh I don't touch alcohol - I don't know how I'm going to get by trying to avoid it all the time.

I have heard nothing about what option they are letting me do. I haven't received an email from Emma at all and their letter today just said my offer is now firm. I guess I'll find out eventually. Physics would be my choice besides Maths.

In typical Cambridge fashion they sent me the *financial* fresher's pack today, demanding money and a whole lot of other contracts and forms to fill in. I don't even know how I can matriculate yet but they still want money from me :rolleyes:

Do you hear back earlier if you submit your application earlier?
    A teacher at an assembly yesterday says you do, which is why instead of the 15 January deadline, we're adhering to a mid-November one. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Yay, my St Andrews prospectus came today! Shiny .

ReputationRep:
    About getting earlier replies from earlier applications...

This varies from university to university. In general, yes, but some universities say that they hold all applications (or all applications received after a certain date) until the January deadline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bassmonkey)
    Yay, my St Andrews prospectus came today! Shiny .
    Omg, look at the girl on page 135, isn't she cute? :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Omg, look at the girl on page 135, isn't she cute? :love:
    Alix? Awesome name :awesome:.

I take it you're applying too this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bassmonkey)
    Alix? Awesome name :awesome:.

I take it you're applying too this year?
    Yep, but not there.

I've made my choices by eeny meeny miny mo trailing through all my prospectuses, emailing the IBMS and FFS and giving it my little "chances of getting in" test. I've picked:

Biomedical Science - Strathclyde BBBC
    Biochemistry w/ Pharmacology - Strathclyde BBBC
    Biochemisty - Glasgow BBBB :huff:
    Biology - Stirling BBCC
    Biomedical Science - Abertay BBCC

I know it'll be impossible to pick all of those. Gawd knows how Imma write a PS.

ReputationRep:
    With regards to applying earlier, I got an offer in November and one in December. Granted those were two English unis, but I think I got my Edinburgh offer before January 15th aswell.

St Andrews however :pinch:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Yep, but not there.

I've made my choices by eeny meeny miny mo trailing through all my prospectuses, emailing the IBMS and FFS and giving it my little "chances of getting in" test. I've picked:

Biomedical Science - Strathclyde BBBC
    Biochemistry w/ Pharmacology - Strathclyde BBBC
    Biochemisty - Glasgow BBBB :huff:
    Biology - Stirling BBCC
    Biomedical Science - Abertay BBCC

I know it'll be impossible to pick all of those. Gawd knows how Imma write a PS.
    apparently at glasgow in the chemisrty department they all walk about in lab coats and test tubes
    My boyfriends way excited :P and won't shut up about how cool eveything is

to my conclusion, BBBB is easily achievable if you put in the work

ReputationRep:
    When did you guys have it all explained to you about applying to universities? We've not been told anything yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitamin D)
    When did you guys have it all explained to you about applying to universities?
    First day back. And then what seemed like twice a day for the next six months. :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.