Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    First day back. And then what seemed like twice a day for the next six months. :rolleyes:
    Fifth year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitamin D)
    When did you guys have it all explained to you about applying to universities? We've not been told anything yet.
    We had a few lessons in PSHE, if you have something similar. We got given some notes on personal statements, and how to sign up to UCAS. Then the rest of the year was spent dossing around looking at prospectuses! Fun times.

TSR was much more helpful to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitamin D)
    Fifth year?
    Sixth year, sorry. Only a handful of people left my school from S5, and only one of those was bound for university. We did university stuff later in S5, initially in PSE and latterly with our UCAS officer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bassmonkey)
    We had a few lessons in PSHE, if you have something similar. We got given some notes on personal statements, and how to sign up to UCAS. Then the rest of the year was spent dossing around looking at prospectuses! Fun times.

We have PSE, which is probably similar. Our teacher is a bit flaky though.

ReputationRep:
    Sixth year, sorry. Only a handful of people left my school from S5, and only one of those was bound for university. We did university stuff later in S5, initially in PSE and latterly with our UCAS officer.
    Makes sense Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bassmonkey)

Yeah, it was like October, by which time i'd applied anyway :p:

ReputationRep:
    No idea if this is exclusive to my school but they've made it so that we can only use our guidance teachers as references. Outright ridiculous. For two reasons. First of all, my guidance teacher knows me to a far lesser extent than many other teachers I could have used.

Second, she doesn't like me. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedrobear)
    No idea if this is exclusive to my school but they've made it so that we can only use our guidance teachers as references. Outright ridiculous. For two reasons. First of all, my guidance teacher knows me to a far lesser extent than many other teachers I could have used.

Second, she doesn't like me. :o:
    Don't worry it was the same with me and my guidy was also my english teaacher and she HATED ME! and I still got offers

lol, no worry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    How long is it/does it take? For the open day I had to walk from the train station to the halls and back again, it wasn't to bad I'm used to walking to school every morning which is a good 30 an hour walk across town.

Haven't been to Aberdeen since February and haven't a clue about the area really
    I can't really remember, but it took about 10minutes on the bus to get from Union Street to the Uni campus last time I was there. I don't think it's that much of a walk, but I'm really unfit!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Kirsten is tired and needs to get up at 5am tomorrow. :eek3:
    Also, are you only allowed to write one PS for Uni apllications even if the degrees you are applying for are completely different??? (like english lit, biomedical sciences, biochemistry, pharmacy) :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedrobear)
    No idea if this is exclusive to my school but they've made it so that we can only use our guidance teachers as references.
    It's not exclusive to your school, but neither is it a global change - my school, until our year came through, had the tutor group (read: register) teachers write our references. Our year, they changed it to a much more sensible system where they got a wide range of the teachers to do a course in writing references and then let us indicate, in order of preference, a few teachers who we would like to write ours. Once they sorted out who was writing which references, we then had an interview with our referee to share information (relevant ECs, etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    Also, are you only allowed to write one PS for Uni apllications even if the degrees you are applying for are completely different??? (like english lit, biomedical sciences, biochemistry, pharmacy) :confused:
    Yes. They are talking about changing this (back), but I'm fairly certain they haven't changed it for 2010 entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesWyl)
    I can't really remember, but it took about 10minutes on the bus to get from Union Street to the Uni campus last time I was there. I don't think it's that much of a walk, but I'm really unfit!
    That sounds fine to walk, I'll get a bus if it rains though :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Kirsten is tired and needs to get up at 5am tomorrow. :eek3:
    Yep, i'd advise picking all the sme subjects lol

So, decide soon
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ronar)
    Yep, i'd advise picking all the sme subjects lol

So, decide soon
    NOOOOOOOOO!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    Hey You mentioned about contacting SAAS to let them know that you've switched university since you applied for finance. Can you remember if you need to also contact the SLC independently?

ReputationRep:
    NOOOOOOOOO!
    Remebeer though you can take 3 modules so you dont need you make the final decision now only have a general idea lol
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ronar)
    Remebeer though you can take 3 modules so you dont need you make the final decision now only have a general idea lol
    I'm gonna sound like a complete idiot but what's 'modules'?

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna sound like a complete idiot but what's 'modules'?
    The different parts of the year, in stirling you get 2 modules for each subejct per year and they give you points, and you need 3 subjects in first year

like I picked pol and phil but I aso picked up psychology as a 3rd module to make up the points required to pass first year

its hard to explain lol

ReputationRep:
    Hey You mentioned about contacting SAAS to let them know that you've switched university since you applied for finance. Can you remember if you need to also contact the SLC independently?
    I just phoned SAAS today about that, all I had to do was say the uni name and course. I asked if that was it all sorted and they said yes so I presume they pass on everything, they just said a new award letter will be sent on Monday. :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.