Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    If you express why it's beneficial to what you want to do in the future, and assure them you'll work hard your school *should* let you do it.

Personally I think you'd be fine with it overall, as long as you made sure to nail the concepts in higher maths pretty quickly.
    Hmmm ok cool, thanks for the reply. After thinking it through i feel I should leave adv physics and go for adv chemistry instead, since the latter appears to have more theory rather than mathematical forumalas. I'd like to have a varied choice of degree's when applying to uni and I was thinking are there any good degree's from the faculty of science which integrates Physics and Chemistry together, Chemical Physics was a degree which attracted my initial attention but I don't think there is a variety of careers which you can pursue with the degree other than Scientific Research or industry. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    That definitely helps. If anyone didn't have a higher pass at chemistry I think they would find it quite difficult.

I got told I would fail higher biology by my teacher and turns out I got a B...I was considering advanced higher biology but I'm put off now because I only got a 3 in SG Chemistry because my teacher was crap (She wasn't even a Chemistry teacher, why she was allowed to teach it I will never know!) do you reckon I could still take it and just work my ass off? I'm wanting to do Marine Biology.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Rachely)
    I got told I would fail higher biology by my teacher and turns out I got a B...I was considering advanced higher biology but I'm put off now because I only got a 3 in SG Chemistry because my teacher was crap (She wasn't even a Chemistry teacher, why she was allowed to teach it I will never know!) do you reckon I could still take it and just work my ass off? I'm wanting to do Marine Biology.
    Hello. The chemistry knowledge you need for AH Biology is covered in the higher chemistry course so the standard grade knowledge you have wouldn't be very relevant (some of the stuff in higher biology was in higher chemistry as well). I think that it is still possible to do AH biology without higher chemistry as the more chemical side to AH Biology is taught to you so you just have to work hard to learn it whereas someone who did Higher Chemistry would already have some backgroung knowledge so they would be at an advantage. As long as you realise extra work would be required to pass it then you should just go for it in my opinion. I've just gone into 6th year doing AH biology now and did H chemistry last year and I have already realised that H chemistry helps but it is not definately required. If you're still not sure you should seek advice from a biology teacher. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Hello. The chemistry knowledge you need for AH Biology is covered in the higher chemistry course so the standard grade knowledge you have wouldn't be very relevant (some of the stuff in higher biology was in higher chemistry as well). I think that it is still possible to do AH biology without higher chemistry as the more chemical side to AH Biology is taught to you so you just have to work hard to learn it whereas someone who did Higher Chemistry would already have some backgroung knowledge so they would be at an advantage. As long as you realise extra work would be required to pass it then you should just go for it in my opinion. I've just gone into 6th year doing AH biology now and did H chemistry last year and I have already realised that H chemistry helps but it is not definitely required. If you're still not sure you should seek advice from a biology teacher. Hope this helps.
    You see, If I seeked advice from my biology teacher that I had last year I would get laughed at :P But yeah I am willing to work very hard and I know that I didn't in chemistry at SG. I would take Higher Chemistry this year to help but I have other subjects I need to do that are more important to me. I'll speak to my guidance teacher when I go back to school and see what he thinks. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Btw, my mum accidently bought AH books instead of higher. I didn't know they did books at that level, but I'll be putting them on ebay for £4.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Rachely)
    You see, If I seeked advice from my biology teacher that I had last year I would get laughed at :P But yeah I am willing to work very hard and I know that I didn't in chemistry at SG. I would take Higher Chemistry this year to help but I have other subjects I need to do that are more important to me. I'll speak to my guidance teacher when I go back to school and see what he thinks. Thank you
    You don't need to do Higher Chemistry to do AH biology and if you're willing to work hard then don't feel obliged to take chemistry if there are other more important subjects. I say go for it. Biology is one of the easier subjects to do as it's just a case of learning the stuff you get taught and in-depth for AH.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Btw, my mum accidently bought AH books instead of higher. I didn't know they did books at that level, but I'll be putting them on ebay for £4.
    Kirsten is interested. I'll check ebay when you put them up.

ReputationRep:
    Oh man, I'm getting really excited about going back to school. I have a 2 in 3 chance of getting a good teacher for physics and since two of my friends, who are taking it as well, are definitely in different classes to each other and myself(we've been told that much), one of us is going to end up with a crap teacher. Going by my luck, it'll be me

ReputationRep:
    So this is where you're all hiding now? Have your typing fingers recovered yet?

Hope you're all well.

SAM

ReputationRep:
    Vitamin D, I found a lot of the Higher Biology and Chemistry courses interlinked. You may want to consider taking them at the same time?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mysqa)
    So this is where you're all hiding now? Have your typing fingers recovered yet?

Hope you're all well.

SAM
    Hello Sam. Do you know when the deadline for higher appeals is?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

Is it possible to get an appeal because you missed out a question in the exam? I have a pretty solid prelim grade but idk if its a valid reason...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Claireyfairey223)
    Hi everyone

Is it possible to get an appeal because you missed out a question in the exam? I have a pretty solid prelim grade but idk if its a valid reason...
    Missing out a question is not a valid reason as the exam also tests your time keeping under pressure. Exams are set so that everyone has a chance to pass under the time frame given. Also, if you missed out a question by accident the marker doesn't know that and might assume that you missed it out because you didn't know how to do it. If your grade in the final exam is a grade or more below what was predicted (your prelim mark) then there is always a chance you could get an appeal if the SQA deem the evidence valid and reliable and it shows you just simply had a bad day in the exam. I want an appeal too but only like 35% of the appeals put forward are successful so I wouldn't get your hopes up to avoid further disappointment but there is always a chance.

ReputationRep:
    Missing out a question is not a valid reason as the exam also tests your time keeping under pressure. Exams are set so that everyone has a chance to pass under the time frame given. Also, if you missed out a question by accident the marker doesn't know that and might assume that you missed it out because you didn't know how to do it. If your grade in the final exam is a grade or more below what was predicted (your prelim mark) then there is always a chance you could get an appeal if the SQA deem the evidence valid and reliable and it shows you just simply had a bad day in the exam. I want an appeal too but only like 35% of the appeals put forward are successful so I wouldn't get your hopes up to avoid further disappointment but there is always a chance.
    Aah well, I didn't really think so. Thanks for that

ReputationRep:
    There seem to be a lot of questions on bonding and stuff in the AH Bio past papers. Van der Waals :love:

ReputationRep:
    I just went out and bought a suit, shirt and some clippy cloppy shoes to wear to my college interview.
    OTT? Maybe, but I soooo want to make a good impression, because I soooo want a place. :teeth: And I'll wear it to job interviews, Uni interviews etc.

:yep:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by xo-Heva)
    I just went out and bought a suit, shirt and some clippy cloppy shoes to wear to my college interview.
    OTT? Maybe, but I soooo want to make a good impression, because I soooo want a place. :teeth: And I'll wear it to job interviews, Uni interviews etc.

:yep:
    Let's put it this way, they're not going to reject you because you're too smart.

ReputationRep:
    Let's put it this way, they're not going to reject you because you're too smart.
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I got 4As and a C, another guy got 4A's and a B, i assumed since he had switched to another school, he wouldnt get dux and i would then get it. I assumed wrong They're still gonna let him get it, so not happy >.< I know its only fair n stuff but meh.

ReputationRep:
    When you guys email Universities, how long on average does it take to get a reply?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.