Turn on thread page Beta

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Not so much. There was one I heard about through ukdragon but missed the deadline for (although obviously it was far from guaranteed that I'd get through). Otherwise it's basically hardship funds - and these are a last resort (no overdraft left, etc).
    What is the most overdraft a student can get?
    You've made me think maybe I should transfer my Tesco job through to uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    Oh no, it specifically says "loan" and letters from the SLC came with it. All of my means-tested grants were certified as big fat zeros by SAAS
    Oh, you're right. In the big picture, it's not awfully relevant, but I wonder where I picked up the wrong idea from.

Well, you can always apply next year! Once they've awarded you it you get payments for the rest of your course and you can apply at any year.
    Ah, I didn't know that! I most certainly will be doing that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    £3000 from HBOS. However it's credit-scored so not everyone will get it and you may not get it from first year. Other banks' maximum are around £2000.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I didn't know that! I most certainly will be doing that...
    See here, second option.

EDIT: It is much lower though, but it's something.

ReputationRep:
    Varies from bank to bank. RBS is £2750 in the first year, interest-free, but you have to arrange in advance:
    RBS
    Nobody said student finances were simple. To help you budget in your first year, we normally offer a limit of £500 in your first term, £1,000 in your second term, £1,250 in your third term.

Moving on, you can decide to apply for up to £1400 in your second year, £1600 in your third, £1800 in your fourth and £2000 in your fifth.

However, you can apply for up to £2,750 at any time - but this will depend on your personal circumstances.

In fact, you can use your overdraft for up to five years as long as you're a student - just ask us to lower or raise the limit at any time. There are charges if you go over your agreed overdraft limit.

To maintain your overdraft, we need to see that you're using your RBS Student Current Account as your main account. This means at least one credit (money paid in) every 3 months, and three debits (money paid out) a month.

The interest-free overdraft facility is only available after your Higher or A-level results, provided you are over 18. Just visit your local branch on or after 20 August with confirmation of your university place.

Overdraft repayable on demand.

EDIT: And that 'repayable on demand' bit is significant. If they say 'give us two and a half grand now please' and you don't have it... bang goes your credit rating.

I would if I could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    £3000 from HBOS. However it's credit-scored so not everyone will get it and you may not get it from first year. Other banks' maximum are around £2000.
    That's a fair sum but then even more debt to pay off plus all the extra costs by the bank I'm glad I've got a hefty sum in my savings account now!

Would you have much less money problems if you were to study in Scotland then?

ReputationRep:
    That's a fair sum but then even more debt to pay off plus all the extra costs by the bank I'm glad I've got a hefty sum in my savings account now!

Would you have much less money problems if you were to study in Scotland then?
    Not really during the course, since the living costs would be about the same. The only difference would be I don't have to pay the tuition fee after uni if I studied in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    I would if I could.
    See I've worked there for two years, saved up six thousand and I'm worried incase I miss out on the social activities at weekends or if the the workload becomes to heavy Then if I didn't transfer and money runs out my mum wouldn't be able to help me out.

ReputationRep:
    Morning guys
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Morning all
    remind me to come on this more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecosse_14)
    Morning all
    remind me to come on this more?
    Why this sudden decision? :p:

Oh, and remember to come on this more :yep: :p:

ReputationRep:
    Damn psychology. Does anyone know if you can request past papers from the sqa?

ReputationRep:
    I'm heavy boreeddd

And LuhLah..I have no idea :P: Maybe you could send them email
    ?

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can request papers,

ReputationRep:
    Ahh...what an awkward experience I had at work tonight

ReputationRep:
    Ahh...what an awkward experience I had at work tonight
    What happened?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    What happened?
    Last week a work mate asked me out, he asked in front of other employees and a heck load of customers. I get embarressed, he writes down his phone number while shaking and all I could say was...'ehh I don't know... I'll see you next week' :o: So tonight, most people seemed to know and just to make it even more awkward they put me behind him. He's a nice guy to speak too but that is it plus I'm off next month so it just wasn't going to work. I feel so bad and awkward now

ReputationRep:
    I feel so bad and awkward now
    Bah, it's going to be a little awkward, but that sounds like his fault, and you're out there soon enough. There's no reason to feel bad, though. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Last week a work mate asked me out, he asked in front of other employees and a heck load of customers. I get embarressed, he writes down his phone number while shaking and all I could say was...'ehh I don't know... I'll see you next week' :o: So tonight, most people seemed to know and just to make it even more awkward they put me behind him. He's a nice guy to speak too but that is it plus I'm off next month so it just wasn't going to work. I feel so bad and awkward now
    It's always a pity when stuff like that happens, for all parties.
    That should be the end of it though, he'll move on quickly (not saying you're not worthy of his attentions, just that you're gonna leave soon :p:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    It's always a pity when stuff like that happens, for all parties.
    That should be the end of it though, he'll move on quickly (not saying you're not worthy of his attentions, just that you're gonna leave soon :p:)
    Yeah hopefully but he just asked out of the blue and caught me off guard :o: I see him once a week at work for a couple of hours...I don't know a thing about him really :p:

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.