Turn on thread page Beta

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    While we're on the topic of television: am I the only one that finds this 'Bang Goes the Theory' trash to be a disappointing show of the continuing dumbing-down of the BBC? It is quite possible to have a popular science show that is enlightening and informative as well as entertaining. Instead, they've produced something reminiscent of one of those Horrible Science books being read by an 8 year old kid with ADD.

Heck, A Brief History of Time managed to be a bestseller and that was pretty high-level - but quite, quite lucid and consequently accessible to the layperson. They would come away knowing more about the subject rather than just having something flashed in front of them for five seconds to let them think 'huh, that's cool' before having it taken away again. There was depth.

ReputationRep:

Really enjoyed this part

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    While we're on the topic of television: am I the only one that finds this 'Bang Goes the Theory' trash to be a disappointing show of the continuing dumbing-down of the BBC? It is quite possible to have a popular science show that is enlightening and informative as well as entertaining. Instead, they've produced something reminiscent of one of those Horrible Science books being read by an 8 year old kid with ADD.

Heck, A Brief History of Time managed to be a bestseller and that was pretty high-level - but quite, quite lucid and consequently accessible to the layperson. They would come away knowing more about the subject rather than just having something flashed in front of them for five seconds to let them think 'huh, that's cool' before having it taken away again. There was depth.
    No, haven't seen it :p:
    I am getting sick of all the body makeover/binge drinking/teen pregnancy shows on the BBC just now.

ReputationRep:

I disagree with pretty much everything you've said :p:

First of all, I loved the horrible science books, they sparked my interest in how stuff works and how cool science can be. Secondly, i have a soft spot for bang goes the theory. If you don't raise your hopes too high, it's quite entertaining, and some of the psychological stuff is reasonably well explained. I have immense difficulty trying to explain stuff I think is cool to my mum because she "doesn't understand science". I managed to persuade her too watch bang... and she really liked it :p:

Besides, some of the things they do are really cool, when the guy shut off the engine to the helicopter ages before he landed, when one of the guys made the pressure ring blaster thingy and the like.

Mythbusters is my favourite highly entertaining/reasonably scientific hybrid. I don't really like any television for purely scientific interest however, most documentaries spruced up with "exciting" narratives and flashy CGI to hide their failings!

Also, "a brief history in time" is one of the dullest books i've ever read :p:

ReputationRep:
    Haven't watched much Mock the Week but I've been watching a few of the older episodes of Have I Got News For You that I missed at the time. I found the one with Brian Blessed particularly hilarious. :o:
    He is bloody brillant, just watching the Uncut version on Youtube now

ReputationRep:
    I loved Horrible History :daydreaming:

I'm currently watching House.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    I loved Horrible History :daydreaming:

I'm currently watching House.
    Horrible everything was great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    No, haven't seen it :p:
    I am getting sick of all the body makeover/binge drinking/teen pregnancy shows on the BBC just now.
    Yeah I watched "underaged and pregnant" last night - I don't really see how it gives any insight into the issue that we didn't have before; it's just cheap reality tv. Extremely frustrating to watch though, when they're like "we were using contraception...well apart from that one time" and you're like:lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akj08)
    Yeah I watched "underaged and pregnant" last night - I don't really see how it gives any insight into the issue that we didn't have before; it's just cheap reality tv. Extremely frustrating to watch though, when they're like "we were using contraception...well apart from that one time" and you're like:lolwut:
    I..like those programs :blush:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    I..like those programs :blush:
    I find them entertaining in a weird way too, but I feel quite bad about it:o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akj08)
    I find them entertaining in a weird way too, but I feel quite bad about it:o:
    I'm watching corry and eastenders that I missed yesterday :p:

Lol When I move way i'm going to miss my soaps!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    I'm watching corry and eastenders that I missed yesterday :p:

Lol When I move way i'm going to miss my soaps!!
    Lol yeah I'm going to miss having a tv! Thank god for catch-up! I'm watching more of one tree hill online

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akj08)
    Lol yeah I'm going to miss having a tv! Thank god for catch-up! I'm watching more of one tree hill online
    One tree hill sounds awful! lol
    I got reject from mcdonalds, yay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    hehe yeah it's not great tv or anything, and it's very predictable, but it's weirdly addictive and has a few genuinely moving moments.

Aw no Which one? well if it makes you feel any better I know a few people who work there and they seem to hate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akj08)
    hehe yeah it's not great tv or anything, and it's very predictable, but it's weirdly addictive and has a few genuinely moving moments.

Aw no Which one? well if it makes you feel any better I know a few people who work there and they seem to hate it
    Hm, I have an argos giftcard haha, i'll check out the boxset..I need some cheering up

I'm really really gutted, it was my only hope for money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    Reapply once you go to uni or try tesco or the cinema/sports complexes.

OTH is actually really good, very dramatic and addictive :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    Hm, I have an argos giftcard haha, i'll check out the boxset..I need some cheering up

I'm really really gutted, it was my only hope for money
    Aw that's rubbish:hugs:
    Could you not get a part-time job at uni? You could apply to places who let you do it online now?

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone taking a TV to uni with them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    Reapply once you go to uni or try tesco or the cinema/sports complexes.

OTH is actually really good, very dramatic and addictive :yep:
    :yep:
    Did you see it last night? I had seen it already but I like watching it again and seeing how the plot builds up it and it all fits together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akj08)
    Aw that's rubbish:hugs:
    Could you not get a part-time job at uni? You could apply to places who let you do it online now?
    \nobody wants to employ me becuse I am a complete failure in all aspects of my life

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.