Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Heya im going to portsmouth uni in september... i hope && Was wondering when is freshers week & how do you know whats going on then & that...
    Is it just the 1st week that your able to move stuff into your room and that & is there any lectures etc that week?

ReputationRep:
    yes, Freshers week begins 28th Sept I think. There will be introductory lectures and possibly the beginning of lectures depending on what course you're on.

Don't worry about it, you'll find out in the first week

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if this is a legit site?
    http://www.upsball.co.uk/
    Has anyone bought tickets yet? I dont know how true it is that they sell out quickly, and I dont want to spend money and get ripped off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaydiee)
    Has anyone bought tickets yet? I dont know how true it is that they sell out quickly, and I dont want to spend money and get ripped off.
    Looks dodgy as **** - Nah I would'nt fall for it tbh

ReputationRep:
    This is what happened (at least for myself) last year, during the summer we were sent our registration details and a timetable for the first week.
    It was a few introduction classes and getting to meet you tutor/head of school etc and mingling with students.
    And then general uni talks on finance/student union/societies & so on.
    Also came with a reading list (which was pretty redundent to me as it was just dictionaries) but don't worry about this as it wont contain unit specific books - you'll choose your units with your personal tutor.

Hope that helps!!

(Original post by Jaydiee)

It is legit.....but there were some problems with it last year - mostly the valentines ball which was cancelled and loads of people still havent been refunded.
    The tickets wont sell out as fast as they claim, and for most you could just get them on the night!
    Plus it might be worth waiting to see if flatmates/coursemates are going first too.

ReputationRep:
    portsmouth freshers week is way more expensive than others!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cravendale)
    although it is still great fun when you can show the freshers 'how its done'.
    Anyone for touch cup? :P

ReputationRep:
    Will the student loan come in your bank account just before the freshers week or after? I'm so skint now because of private housing grrrrr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cravendale)
    That is true, but it is a massive week (well 2 weeks actually). There isnt much you can do about how expensive it is - just enjoy it and worry about the money issues later.

Remember: freshers week only happens once to you, it just isnt the same in your second and third years - although it is still great fun when you can show the freshers 'how its done'.
    guess that's true,
    though I'm not actually going to Portsmouth.
    I do live there now though..
    and am going to be splittinh my time between home and uni for that week, cos I have some dates in ports,

I tighnk southsea fest should be included in freshers

ReputationRep:
    how do you play touch cup?
    im very interested...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sour_Cream)
    how do you play touch cup?
    im very interested...
    The 2nd/ 3rd years will teach you when you arrive at Portsmouth.

We couldn't possibly divulge the rules before you get there. It'll be fun in Freshers week learning it. Trust me

ReputationRep:
    I look forward to it

ReputationRep:
    www.upsu.net

It says that Fresher's Fayre will start on 30th Sept til 1st Oct at Ravelin Park. I couldn't find anything else out though.

ReputationRep:
    Do u need to buy tickets for events before u turn up? dont rly know why i care about that, i dont know where im living yet :O

ReputationRep:
    how about that barbecue?? (it´s what I´m most interested in really :P)

ReputationRep:
    Do you get a starter pack or any more info like a map timetables e.t.c telling us where everything is??

ReputationRep:
    Apparently they send us a Start UP pack soon, which hopefully will have more information. And a map I hope.

ReputationRep:
    I got the start up pack this morning, it has application forms for the student ID cards, maps and a diary planner.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so strangely the pack has just arrived, only 2 hours after I mentioned it..

It has a rather nice student diary (including a map), lots of information sheets and booklets, a Registration and Induction card, a Student Campus Card application form, and some stuff for parents/guardians. All in a little cardboard box. Basically you find out what to do when you get there.

It says we need certificates as proof of results on registration day, but normally my school gives us our certificates in like October.. will they accept my results sheet instead? If not, how can I get the certificates? I have AS certificates, although they are outdated, because the grades improved.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    plastik when I gave them proof of results I think it was the statement of results they looked at.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.