Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When do i get my cardboard box dammit! :eek:

By the way is anyone getting those 30 pound freshers packs or is it not worth it?

ReputationRep:
    All sounds good to me - any of you know how much these first couple of weeks is gonna cost on average i.e cost of drinks, entry to places events and all? I know its different for everyone but a rough cost guide would be awesome help
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The second best tip for saving cash is only take what you are willing to spend, and not a credit/debit card.
    The first student loan payment has to cover til January so blowing £1500 in freshers is insane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cravendale)
    Now thats a hard question to answer, i know of people who have spent in excess of £1500 in the first 2 weeks, i spent around £300 but you could spend less than that i guess easily.

The best tip to save the cash is to buy most of your drinks early on and not in the final venue of a night out as they take the piss with the price of drinks - espesially on organised nights like 'carnage' etc.
    £1500 !? Whoever that was must have had a pretty damn good 2 weeks lol - £300 sounds pretty sick also but then i dunno how much everything is gonna cost and guess if you going out every night that sounds pretty reasonable at bout £21 a night. Cool cheers for the tips - I'm pretty good at waggling the value for money deals just wanted to get an idea of how much its all gonna be
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Realistically the drinks are well priced if you look around; there are alot of promotional deals to get your cash in the first few weeks, and alot of societies and clubs do events with free/ subsidised drinks you can take advantage of. Do take any flyers you are offered as this is usually the best indicator of where is trying really hard to get your custom; there tend to be students handing these out on the blackwells crossing at the end of guildhall walk.
    If you are only buying your drinks (not as I have seen someone do, trying to buy everyone one a drink in a vain attempt to buy popularity) and are not a very heavy drinker then £20 should be fine. I usually take about that, plus a bit for taxi fare if you aren't in guildhall walk halls.

ReputationRep:
    Can we get student discount off alcoholic drinks if we show our NUS Extra card lol?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Nope, but there are various pub specific discount cards, and I think Spoons do a % off food (Isambard Kingdom Brunel in Guildhall Walk) but Lloyds don't (Trafalgar).

ReputationRep:
    what day is everybody moving in?

ReputationRep:
    Will we get our timetable for the whole fortnight before we arrive?

I know I've got an introductory lecture thing at 9am on the first monday morning...

But is everyone planning to stay out til 3am every night? Because I'm not so good at getting up early when I've been out the night before...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyg08)

I know I've got an introductory lecture thing at 9am on the first monday morning...

But is everyone planning to stay out til 3am every night? Because I'm not so good at getting up early when I've been out the night before...
    Thats what an Alarm clock is for
    To be fair, I think a lot of people will miss these induction lectures for partying..

I dunno about the timetable..although I imagine that during the freshers in one of the induction lectures you get your timetable?

ReputationRep:
    As far as i can remember you turn up on the first day and they give you all the stuff you need to get you through the first weeks (including a timetable).

I would strongly recomend that you go to all of the introductory lectures and events because you get lots of very important information crucial to the success of your course, you have loads of forms to fill out and of course you will meet all of the people you will spend the next 3 years of your life with - you want to get to know people before the 'groups' form.

The team building events were daunting for me (im shy) but if you get stuck in as i did, the first weeks go smoothly - you dont want to end up as the person who sits alone every lecture because they didnt put the time in during freshers to meet and get to know their class mates!

I'm definitely going to go to everything!! I just don't want to be the loser who leaves the freshers things early to get a good night's sleep...:o:

Also, team building? Really? Sounds like the first day of secondary school all over again. What kind of things did u do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyg08)

Live a little - having a few hours sleep and going to lectures still drunk will be good preparation for the rest of the year!

I think my couse was like that, first thing Monday we had to be at something. It shouldn't be too taxing though. Most of my lecturers knew that we'd been out late etc.

ReputationRep:
    Team building is somthing that will haunt you for your whole life unfortunately. But never fear the tasks i did were things like making a tower from paper, string bridge... (im doing a civil engineering degree so the tasks were relevent) in groups of 6 or so - some might think this sounds bad but trust me in the first week it is good having a silly task like this to make talking/meeting others painless.

Also your timetable wont be 100% full all day so you will have a fare amount of spare time during the day so you can catch up on a couple of hours sleep here and there.

Team building? :lolwut:
    I never got that....

Thats true, you will have maybe 1/2 lectures for a day, Wednesday will most likely be free..so enjoy freshers while you can...cus' after its woooorrrkkkk...

ReputationRep:
    My mates on a variety of courses had to do some form of team building, even if it wasnt called team building - various tasks/activities/discussions to get everone to mix.

Each course does their own induction so i guess there is the off chance of no team building but to be honest i thought it was a good thing
    For German / Polities...we never got that... :'(

ReputationRep:
    Maths didn't have team building either. I wonder if Ent Tech will be.

Definitely make an effort to go to Freshers Fayre, but don't be talked into signing up for everything there! I know a lot of people who signed up for all sorts of Societies and Sports and then never went. Sailing was £35 and Hockey £30. There are some which are a lot cheaper and much better value for money, such as Pure FM ;-) (£10! Bargain)

See you all there!

ReputationRep:
    26th (Y) Cannae wait mon

ReputationRep:
    Ok I've just finished my first year at Uni. Don't be conned into thinking you have to buy a £30 ticket. Each hall does a party somewhere in the city. There are loads of pubs and clubs so go out and make your own fun. Last year in freshers I went to 75% of the big nights 1 delivered Purple wednesday - but even with my ticket I hand to queue for a couple of hours and then the bar was rammed so I didn't drink that much. If you are going to go to any of the big nights go early really early, then you won't have to queue and if its ot your thing you have a choice to go elsewhere. I reckon you have a better time when all the excitement has died down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghenty)
    Ok I've just finished my first year at Uni. Don't be conned into thinking you have to buy a £30 ticket. Each hall does a party somewhere in the city. There are loads of pubs and clubs so go out and make your own fun. Last year in freshers I went to 75% of the big nights 1 delivered Purple wednesday - but even with my ticket I hand to queue for a couple of hours and then the bar was rammed so I didn't drink that much. If you are going to go to any of the big nights go early really early, then you won't have to queue and if its ot your thing you have a choice to go elsewhere. I reckon you have a better time when all the excitement has died down.
    This.

Although I think the whole freshers thing is overrated..but thats my opinion :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by thetricktolife)
    Maths didn't have team building either. I wonder if Ent Tech will be.

Definitely make an effort to go to Freshers Fayre, but don't be talked into signing up for everything there! I know a lot of people who signed up for all sorts of Societies and Sports and then never went. Sailing was £35 and Hockey £30. There are some which are a lot cheaper and much better value for money, such as Pure FM ;-) (£10! Bargain)

See you all there!
    Law had no specific team building either, just threw us into a few seminars. Some courses do get groups forming pretty quick so do introduce yourself to as many people as you can!

Freshers Fayre is a must do; uni life is much better with a few clubs/ societies you are genuinely interested in. It's not worth signing up for everything though as said above; even if it is all something you might do you won't have the time!
    Take a look at the list of clubs/ societies and think about those you might want to join, then take only enough money to join those, plus perhaps a tenner in case something really takes your fancy.
    I know guys who spent £200 joining random clubs etc and then used none of it.
    Do join clubs / socs relating to your interests (and if there isn't one, form one!) and make sure to join any course/ career related societies relating to your degree eg politics soc, property developement soc, law soc etc.

Prices are all £3+, and upsu.net should list the costs of most societies.
    For anyone interested the law soc is a tenner; and if you are studying law (or criminology, or business or another related degree) then it's the best tenner you'll ever spend.

ReputationRep:
    Seems to me that they've integrated all the societys/sports clubs fees together? at least that's what I gather from this website

http://www.upsu.net/activities/sports/aumembership

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.