Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The SQA have released the Grade Boundaries for the 2009 exams.

They're here (edited to automatically show the percentages) plus have the link to all the national data for attainment etc. on the SQA

http://edubuzz.org/blogs/prestonlodge

They're there as a Google Doc (but you don't have to Log in). You can also download from there. (to switch between the levels, you click the tabs at the bottom of the spreadsheets)

Congratulations everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Are these for A.S and A levels?!

ReputationRep:
    no, scottish exams

ReputationRep:
    SG Physics is clearly wrong - you need 24 for a 1 and 25 for a 2 And the SG French listening, 15/25 for a 1! Not really surprising though, the paper was really hard. And I somehow managed to get a 1, despite guessing the majority of it. Pass mark must have been low!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MySweetheartTheDrunk)
    SG Physics is clearly wrong - you need 24 for a 1 and 25 for a 2 And the SG French listening, 15/25 for a 1! Not really surprising though, the paper was really hard. And I somehow managed to get a 1, despite guessing the majority of it. Pass mark must have been low!
    I noticed this! How generous of them. I still only managed to get a 2 in it, but I had 1's in the other aspects so they balanced out to an overall 1

ReputationRep:
    77.7% for an A in Higher Maths! The dirty b*******! (God I hate asterisking things)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyhoot)
    77.7% for an A in Higher Maths! The dirty b*******! (God I hate asterisking things)
    That's what it normally is
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    That's what it normally is
    but given that the paper was (in a lot people's opinions) comparatively harder than previous years' papers, many were expecting the grade boundaries to fall slightly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wawa1906)
    but given that the paper was (in a lot people's opinions) comparatively harder than previous years' papers, many were expecting the grade boundaries to fall slightly.
    I know, but a lot of people didn't think it was, and more than 20% got an A like usual.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh everyone always thinks their own papers are hardest...

ReputationRep:
    I know, but a lot of people didn't think it was, and more than 20% got an A like usual.
    To be fair, the pass rate did drop quite significantly - by by about 2% I think. I think it's fair to say that it was comparativley tricky, though not so much that the boundaries should be lowered by more than a couple of marks (despite the fact my (estimated) percentage was about 10-15% lower than the prelims!) What would be better would be an even harder paper though, and keeping the boundaries consistent at 70% for an A, as with other subjects.

Was interesting to see that Chemistry stayed at the 70% mark this year.

Anyway I'm rambling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    To be fair, the pass rate did drop quite significantly - by by about 2% I think. I think it's fair to say that it was comparativley tricky, though not so much that the boundaries should be lowered by more than a couple of marks (despite the fact my (estimated) percentage was about 10-15% lower than the prelims!) What would be better would be an even harder paper though, and keeping the boundaries consistent at 70% for an A, as with other subjects.

Was interesting to see that Chemistry stayed at the 70% mark this year.

Anyway I'm rambling.
    2% isn't really that much, it can fluctuate a lot more than that.

In my opinion there were some odd questions which weren't really reincarnations of the usual set they ask, but I don't think they were harder per se.

Harder paper would be good, but maths is a bit more polarised than other subjects, you tend to have a lot of people who do really well and lot of people who don't do so well. A harder paper might just tip the balance so they have to give ridiculously low pass marks even if the A mark doesn't drop much.

Chemistry having the same pass rate was interesting, they cut by 8 percentage points last year which was pretty drastic, but judging by pass rates nothing seems amiss really!

What I find weird is that music never changes it's boundaries. Check the percentage who got A's for AH, it was little over 20% last year I think!

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion there were some odd questions which weren't really reincarnations of the usual set they ask, but I don't think they were harder per se.
    The questions themselves may not have been hard, but (and correct me if I'm wrong), most people taking the exam had just spent a year being trained to learn a process and repeat it, not to think independently. That's likely a failure of the course, and certainly does us no favors when it comes time for university, but it's still a hell of a thing to spring questions like some of the ones we had on you in the middle of a timed exam when nerves are already killing your ability to calm down and think about what you're being asked. It's rather more difficult to give an accurate representation of your ability under such conditions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juss)
    The questions themselves may not have been hard, but (and correct me if I'm wrong), most people taking the exam had just spent a year being trained to learn a process and repeat it, not to think independently. That's likely a failure of the course, and certainly does us no favors when it comes time for university, but it's still a hell of a thing to spring questions like some of the ones we had on you in the middle of a timed exam when nerves are already killing your ability to calm down and think about what you're being asked. It's rather more difficult to give an accurate representation of your ability under such conditions.
    Well the teacher shouldn't really just teach you to do stuff, with understanding of the material should come understanding of how to apply it, but I recognise there are teachers who aim to just teach it all by rote.

I think the second paper in particular has too short a time limit though, and I remember how panicked I was when I did higher.

ReputationRep:
    Well the teacher shouldn't really just teach you to do stuff, with understanding of the material should come understanding of how to apply it, but I recognise there are teachers who aim to just teach it all by rote.

I think the second paper in particular has too short a time limit though, and I remember how panicked I was when I did higher.
    Heh. I think it's less what the teacher wants to teach and more what the students are willing to learn.

Yeah. This year especially. My lecturer scared me after the exam by saying that there was talk of simply discounting the last question if it looked like many people hadn't gotten to it. When I found myself short on time, I skipped an earlier question I found harder and did great on the last one, so that would've screwed me over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juss)
    Heh. I think it's less what the teacher wants to teach and more what the students are willing to learn.

Yeah. This year especially. My lecturer scared me after the exam by saying that there was talk of simply discounting the last question if it looked like many people hadn't gotten to it. When I found myself short on time, I skipped an earlier question I found harder and did great on the last one, so that would've screwed me over.
    I'm fairly sure they would never do that, as it's completely unfair. I've heard that rumour quite a lot though, which annoys me :p: Even lecturers/teachers seem to spread around rumours about exams, like last year with standard grade maths I heard many teachers saying this question would be discounted because it was a higher question, when that just wasn't true.

Basically, I dislike misinformation :p:

The last question was genuinely pretty hard though, well done on getting it!

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly sure they would never do that, as it's completely unfair. I've heard that rumour quite a lot though, which annoys me :p: Even lecturers/teachers seem to spread around rumours about exams, like last year with standard grade maths I heard many teachers saying this question would be discounted because it was a higher question, when that just wasn't true.

Yea I've heard almost identical rumours, which are prety annoying, doing this would quite obviously be completely unfair on the candidates who did manage to do well in the harder questions. The solution, if enough people struggle with a particular question, is to lower the pass marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    Yea I've heard almost identical rumours, which are prety annoying, doing this would quite obviously be completely unfair on the candidates who did manage to do well in the harder questions. The solution, if enough people struggle with a particular question, is to lower the pass marks.
    Why people feel the need to make up crap like that, who knows :p:

ReputationRep:

I'm starting to think he just liked to scare me; he spent the year telling me stories of people who'd gotten something like 94% in the prelims, failed their finals, and were denied appeals.

I had more trouble with the one where you were integrating and finding the area between two sin waves, because a) my mind got stuck on the question of what units I was supposed to use for my final answer, b) I hate working in radians and don't actually know how to put my calculator in that mode, so I'm stuck expressing everything as 34.3pi/180 or some such, and c) I apparently decided that I could get my second point of intersection of the two waves by just adding 60 onto the first one. I have no idea why. So yeah, I came out thinking I deserved to fail for being so idiotic on that one question

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.