Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've wanted to go to Stockholm for some time, and I'm going alone for 3 days next May. While as far as I know Stockholm doesn't have a massive problem with crime, having been mugged a couple of times back when I was 15/16, I've always been paranoid about being places alone and who's around me.

I'm 18, I keep myself to myself, is there much chance of getting mugged/assualted in Stockholm? Are these events particularly common? How would being in the central areas of London compare to being in central Stockholm?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It seemed friendly enough when I was there.
    One major thing is, though, that the euro is rubbish compared to the pound right now, espeically in Scandinavian states. Like, seriously, £5 for a glass of coke, £12 for a single JD and coke...

ReputationRep:
    http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...fety-BR-1.html

http://www.stockholm-sweden-travel-g...stockholm.html

http://www.professionaltravelguide.c...ockholm/Safety

Have a look at some of these websites!

I wouldn't safe is was any more dangerous than central London but make sure you're aware of your surroundings and try and avoid being in secluded areas.
    Also keep all your valuables and money safe, use a safety belt etc and don't keep them on obvious display.

Why aren't you going with someone else?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'll have any problems, didn't see any yob or chav culture or other dark elements of society when I was there. You might be little bored on your own though, Stockholm isn't exactly the kind of place where everyone is out partying by the beach every night (not only because they don't really have one).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovay)

Why aren't you going with someone else?
    I don't have anyone to go with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    I don't have anyone to go with.

Ah okay.. no worries

Good luck and I hope you have a safe trip!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antimatter)
    One major thing is, though, that the euro is rubbish compared to the pound right now, espeically in Scandinavian states. Like, seriously, £5 for a glass of coke, £12 for a single JD and coke...
    Don't say that! I'm going next month! ¬_¬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Don't say that! I'm going next month! ¬_¬
    Sweden is marginally better at the moment due to the fact they don't have the euro. It's still high prices, but cheaper than Finland where the euro is in place. We were paying about 6 euros a beer in Finland, but in Sweden you could get one for less than 5 euros so it was a wee bit cheaper. For anything other than beer you're looking at 9 euros at least. If you're going to Norway that will kill you financially even more though despite the fact they're not in the euro zone!

It's a very crime free place, I certainly feel much safer there than I do in any city in the UK let alone London. There is much more of an attitude that you're trusted not to commit a crime rather than in the UK where it is expected that you will unless you're forced not to by the law.

Go to the Palace at noon, there is a changing of the guards ceremony which goes on forever but has music and horses and is really cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antimatter)
    we use the swedish krona :fyi:
    and ofc as it is the capital, it's quite expensive.

(Original post by KwungSun)
    I don't think you'll have any problems, didn't see any yob or chav culture or other dark elements of society when I was there. You might be little bored on your own though, Stockholm isn't exactly the kind of place where everyone is out partying by the beach every night (not only because they don't really have one).
    dude, you missed out on the blatte culture. :p:
    crime and falafels galore lol.
    but i should think city centre would be ok.
    steer clear of mcdonalds/burger king at night... trust me there is a huge "chav" culture (if it's anything like where i live( malmö, the third largest city in sweden))
    but just use common sense and you wont get mugged.

and yeah the changing of guards is a must see in stockholm

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.