Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How've changes in Chinas economic climate (past 40yrs) affected its population? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a mini project over the next 6 weeks. My full tittle is:

How have changes in the economic climate of china over the past 40 years affected its population?

I know that 40 years maybe to broad so i may cut that down.

i plan to research and talk about:

tiananmen square (1989)
    Birth rates, death rates, average age a person is likely to live to, improvements in the medical facilities
    One child rule
    Other quality of life factors
    Chinese immigration to Europe, USA and UK

Do you have any other suggesrions for what I could write about, I;ve never done economics in my life so i'm finding it very hard. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    According to Tim Harford (ala Undercover Economist), during the boom years, China was taking 1 million people out of poverty per DAY!

Food and farming has also seen a massive change.

ReputationRep:
    that there, is a stinker of a project.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morg)
    that there, is a stinker of a project.
    you can say that again 8,000 words...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irish_4_life)
    you can say that again 8,000 words...
    I feel for you, i really do.

ReputationRep:
    You may well find www.gapminder.org of interest. Worth a look.

ReputationRep:
    On the one child rule, its really not that simple, there are rules that allow certain groups of people to have more children and many dodge it any way. We spoke to someone whos kid, in a class of 20 only 6 were only children.

ReputationRep:
    You should talk about recent developments in sustainable energy etc. and energy production in general.

ReputationRep:
    You could also talk about increased corruption on a local level, which is a persistent concern for the people,
    and how the growth has lead to increased increased internal migration to coastal regions such as Shenzhen and how those regions have benefited more than inland regions.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like an amazing project! So much fun to do! =D

I would, in addition to what you've already selected, also consider domestic migration - so migration from Rural to Urban areas (have a look at the Lewis Theory for some extra reading in that direction), which is a fascinating subject, and one that raises even more questions - quality of life for those that migrated to urban areas versus quality of life for those that stayed put, for example. Best of luck man, do try and enjoy it - it's such an evolving and important topic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidona)
    That sounds like an amazing project! So much fun to do! =D

I would, in addition to what you've already selected, also consider domestic migration - so migration from Rural to Urban areas (have a look at the Lewis Theory for some extra reading in that direction), which is a fascinating subject, and one that raises even more questions - quality of life for those that migrated to urban areas versus quality of life for those that stayed put, for example. Best of luck man, do try and enjoy it - it's such an evolving and important topic!
    Wow, you've made me a little more enthused

Any direction towards the Lewis theory? I'm struggling

ReputationRep:
    Also guys, would you say China is financially stable/has been in the past

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.