Turn on thread page Beta

so depressed...what can i do? watch

ReputationRep:
    im really depressed at the moment, i just feel weepy and like i wanna cry all the time and i keep snapping at people. im sleeping like 10/12 hours a day but waking up just as tired as i was the night before. i just feel so lethargic and even now as i write this im trying not to cry

what can i do? do i go to my GP? and what do i tell him/her???

i just want to be back to my normal self...no ones noticed theres anything wrong so far, not even my 2 closest mates, so im hiding it well, but i dont wanna hide it i wanna be me again x

ReputationRep:
    hang out with your mates

do some fun stuff and you should feel better

if still not, see your gp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon the 7th)
    hang out with your mates

do some fun stuff and you should feel better

if still not, see your gp
    I've been trying that...thats how no one i know knows im feeling so bad.

Even when im out with my friends, i don;t feel right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlmechanik)
    im really depressed at the moment, i just feel weepy and like i wanna cry all the time and i keep snapping at people. im sleeping like 10/12 hours a day but waking up just as tired as i was the night before. i just feel so lethargic and even now as i write this im trying not to cry

i just want to be back to my normal self...no ones noticed theres anything wrong so far, not even my 2 closest mates, so im hiding it well, but i dont wanna hide it i wanna be me again x

Get into a sensible pattern of sleep. I used to be depressed a lot due to not being able to sleep, but now i try to combat that by sleeping at specific times. I suffer from insomnia too though which can put a spanner in the works. However if you do this then you will feel better for a start. And get some fun things in your life if you don't already. But if you are really concerned, then just see the doc. What harm can it do?

ReputationRep:
    hey!

Do you think there is any specific reason for being inactive? Have you set your-self goals which you were unable to ahieve or anything?

I think sharing with others will help. Do activities which you really like to do.

In the end, if it doesn't work. Goto your GP.

ReputationRep:

Good sleep hygiene is very very important. Get yourself into the habbit of going to bed at a sensible time each night, and limit yourself to 7 or 8 hours of sleep. Set your alarm for a reasonable time in the morning, so you could say go to bed at midnight and set your alarm for 8am. Sleeping too much makes you tired (as you have probably found out). Get out and do things (which is far easier said than done), and exercise is also really good help because when you exercise you release endorphins etc etc, it keeps you busy and so on. If you drink quite a lot socially you could limit that, because alcohol is a depressant (but again, that doesn't work for everybody). Aside from that, if you feel you really are quite low and don't know what do do, you should see your GP and tell them, and discuss your options with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrior88)
    hey!

Do you think there is any specific reason for being inactive? Have you set your-self goals which you were unable to ahieve or anything?

I think sharing with others will help. Do activities which you really like to do.

In the end, if it doesn't work. Goto your GP.
    possibly because its holiday or because i feel so down...i just dont want to do anything, i dont want to see anyone and i just want to sleep. and it could be down to the fact that i cant get the guy i want and i know i never will, but i've been feeling like this for ages, its not just about him.

i cant tell my mates, one of them had PND but managed to almost sort herself out, and all my other friends seem to think depression is self indulgant thats why i've been trying so hard to keep myself as normal as i can around everyone. plus i dont really have that many close friends that i can trust with anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilee172)
    Good sleep hygiene is very very important. Get yourself into the habbit of going to bed at a sensible time each night, and limit yourself to 7 or 8 hours of sleep. Set your alarm for a reasonable time in the morning, so you could say go to bed at midnight and set your alarm for 8am. Sleeping too much makes you tired (as you have probably found out). Get out and do things (which is far easier said than done), and exercise is also really good help because when you exercise you release endorphins etc etc, it keeps you busy and so on. If you drink quite a lot socially you could limit that, because alcohol is a depressant (but again, that doesn't work for everybody). Aside from that, if you feel you really are quite low and don't know what do do, you should see your GP and tell them, and discuss your options with them.
    that said i have been drinking a bit recently. 4 nights out in 10 days is a lot for me, but its not like i get so wasted i cant make sure im safe and everyone around me is, i know my limits and i stick to them.

ReputationRep:

I would say that if you dont already then you should get your life planned out (especially over summer) and improve your mental/physical health.

have a look at this vid, it helped me out a bunch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKTzZe52nB0

Good luck..

ReputationRep:
    that said i have been drinking a bit recently. 4 nights out in 10 days is a lot for me, but its not like i get so wasted i cant make sure im safe and everyone around me is, i know my limits and i stick to them.
    It doesn't matter whether you know your limits - whether you have 1 drink or 10, alcohol still works as a depressant and it won't help you if you're feeling down. Maybe keep your alcohol intake to the weekends? I would say try and regulate your sleep first, one step at a time.

ReputationRep:
    possibly because its holiday or because i feel so down...i just dont want to do anything, i dont want to see anyone and i just want to sleep. and it could be down to the fact that i cant get the guy i want and i know i never will, but i've been feeling like this for ages, its not just about him.

i cant tell my mates, one of them had PND but managed to almost sort herself out, and all my other friends seem to think depression is self indulgant thats why i've been trying so hard to keep myself as normal as i can around everyone. plus i dont really have that many close friends that i can trust with anything
    depression is not self-indulgent, don't listen to them. depression is not something people choose to suffer from!! But it is important you have people you can talk to, what about family?

ReputationRep:
    depression is not self-indulgent, don't listen to them. depression is not something people choose to suffer from!! But it is important you have people you can talk to, what about family?
    well i only drink on thursdays and saturdays if i do drink.

i cant talk to my family cos i know my dad thinks depression is BS and i think mum would just think i was being sad rather than realising how bad i actually feel

ReputationRep:
    well i only drink on thursdays and saturdays if i do drink.

i cant talk to my family cos i know my dad thinks depression is BS and i think mum would just think i was being sad rather than realising how bad i actually feel
    In which case you need to find a friend that's more understanding or go to the GP. Because the GP can refer you to people that will talk with you and be understanding if that's what you need.

ReputationRep:
    In which case you need to find a friend that's more understanding or go to the GP. Because the GP can refer you to people that will talk with you and be understanding if that's what you need.
    i've tried councelling when i left school and i just cant talk.

and what am i gonna say to my GP "hi, im feeling really ****...help???"

i dunno..

ReputationRep:
    You tell them what you told us here. You might think it sounds really stupid, but GPs hear it all the time. Tell them how crap you feel, they will listen and advice you as to the best course of action. Trust me, that's what your GP is for! Plus what have you got to lose?

ReputationRep:
    You tell them what you told us here. You might think it sounds really stupid, but GPs hear it all the time. Tell them how crap you feel, they will listen and advice you as to the best course of action. Trust me, that's what your GP is for! Plus what have you got to lose?
    its a small village and i dont want everyone to know about it cos round where im from, secrets get out somehow.

thing is theres no major reason for me to feel like this, im not bereaved, nothings changed really...i just do

ReputationRep:
    its a small village and i dont want everyone to know about it cos round where im from, secrets get out somehow.

thing is theres no major reason for me to feel like this, im not bereaved, nothings changed really...i just do
    There is no reason for depression. Sometimes there can be a trigger for a low mood but depression usually just bites you out of nowhere. And if you went to a GP they've got to ensure patient confidentiality, they wouldn't go telling everyone in your village. Just go!

ReputationRep:
    I know how your feeling cos I've been feeling the same and didn't want to classify it as depression. It's easy for people to give you advice online, offer suggestions but they don't know you. Maybe your feeling helpless, feeling scared at times and just down right sad. So sad you cry, not really knowing a reason but the tears make it a lil better then 30 mins later your probably crying again. You might have one good moment that lasts for an hour but the rest of the day just feels like a cloud over you. The thing is your not alone in this, and you can't hide from it.

From the sounds of things, your friends aren't much help and neither are your parents. I suggest you write down your feelings, and give it to your GP. The longer you try to hide it, the worse it will be. I would know, I'm snappy with everyone, I've stopped talking to my friends because they wouldn't understand...hell, I don't even understand. I know I should go out and get help, so should you but it's easier said than done right? Just try, you can't let this control your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsuperhunni)
    I know how your feeling cos I've been feeling the same and didn't want to classify it as depression. It's easy for people to give you advice online, offer suggestions but they don't know you. Maybe your feeling helpless, feeling scared at times and just down right sad. So sad you cry, not really knowing a reason but the tears make it a lil better then 30 mins later your probably crying again. You might have one good moment that lasts for an hour but the rest of the day just feels like a cloud over you. The thing is your not alone in this, and you can't hide from it.

From the sounds of things, your friends aren't much help and neither are your parents. I suggest you write down your feelings, and give it to your GP. The longer you try to hide it, the worse it will be. I would know, I'm snappy with everyone, I've stopped talking to my friends because they wouldn't understand...hell, I don't even understand. I know I should go out and get help, so should you but it's easier said than done right? Just try, you can't let this control your life.
    just reading that, im crying again...im useless.

and yeah easier said than done, thing is if i end up on medication i have to notifiy my college because of working in the workshop and i dont want anyone to know how i feel and how desperate i am right now. i dont want it to be depression but i know this is not normal.

ReputationRep:
    There is no reason for depression. Sometimes there can be a trigger for a low mood but depression usually just bites you out of nowhere. And if you went to a GP they've got to ensure patient confidentiality, they wouldn't go telling everyone in your village. Just go!
    trust me...it always gets out...some people find out their STD test results before they've gone back to the doctor for the results

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.