Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does having a passion for football or liking it define your masculinity as most boys/males have a passion for it? I don't get it

Basically, I was brought up in Africa and what I basically did was go to school, come back at home, eat, have tutorials, do my homework, watch cartoons or a drama and go to bed. In the weekends, I usually wash my school uniform, do my chores, eat, watch TV and go to bed.

I have attempted and tried watching football so many times but I can't fathom what people see in it. Basically, what I see is boys kicking a ball, I seriously don't understand. I'm more into watching comedies, dramas, horror movies and expanding my knowledge on the internet.

My parents and friends have talked me into watching football or having knowledge on it but I don't just see what's fun about it.

I may not be pro level but I can play football. I just see it pointless IMO

I really want to know and like football as it is generally what males like (I'm a boy btw) but i'm confused. Any help? Is it too late or what can I do for me to like it.

My mum was just telling me i'm too feminine ******** that i'm meant to like boys stuff like football. Help me, I'm confused...

ReputationRep:
    Yes otherwise you're gay.

ReputationRep:
    i dont like football

rugbys much better. footballers moan over anything like wimps whereas rugby players can handle anything

ReputationRep:
    I have absolutely no interest in watching football (even though all of my family are devout Leeds United fans). I prefer sports such as tennis or rugby, where everyone seems involved in the game at all times. Football is just like cricket, there isn't enough happening to keep me interested.

My suggestion would be to try to watch other sports, it can be hard when everyone around you seems obsessed by one specific sport that you cannot see any point in. Also I think that you have the final say in defining your masculinity, not football .

ReputationRep:
    Yep. It's called homosexuality if they don't.

ReputationRep:
    no they don't, just like girls/females do not have to like shopping :p:

ReputationRep:
    No, I prefer Tennis or Cricket.

ReputationRep:
    I asked the same thing to one of my guy mates once and he goes.. 'the game, every shot, the strategies.. all of it is just beautiful'...and then told me i wouldn't understand coz 'i'm a girl'.. (typical response)

he sounded deadly serious about the 'beautiful' part though.. he might've been taking the piss though but even thinking of his *melodrama* makes me want to crack up. lol..

ps; I do know the select few guys who arent into football religiously though so ur not really the only one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeke53in)
    Yes otherwise you're gay.
    This.

Not really, you can't change what you like and don't like.

ReputationRep:
    I dislike watching football. I prefer actually playing football with friends. Same as you OP I never got the fascination with kicking back and watching other people paid ridiculous amounts to have all the fun. It doesn't make sense.

ReputationRep:
    It is true that it can help you form quick relationships with people, because some boys ask who you support early on and it creates banter. I should know, I'm the "I've never met a girl who actually knows how football works before" girl. Which, by the way, is a load of crap. Still, it doesn't mean that boys who don't like football are somehow feminine. I have plenty of guy friends and some do and some don't like football. It's like anything else, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon the 7th)
    i dont like football

rugbys much better. footballers moan over anything like wimps whereas rugby players can handle anything

I don't mind football but Rugby is a far better sport. It's also much for entertaining to watch. Football has burts of excitment but for the most part it's just blokes passing the ball to each other in the centre of the pitch.

Each to there own though. I also enjoy watching cricket.

But you're not gay or feminine. Being gay or feminine makes you gay or feminine.

If you really feel the need to be manly put on a lumberjack shirt, chop some wood, drink a beer and talk about girls. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    yes, if you don't like football, if means you like it firmly in the behind. :yes:

seriously, it's just a social norm. people may rib you as a guy not liking football, but i doubt anybody would care much.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a guy and i dont like watching football, playing football or even talking about football.

^ I'd form an even quicker relationship if i knew the person i was talking to wasn't interested in football.. haha

(i bet someone is going to try and quote me and then edit what a writ by changing the 'u' in 'guy' to an 'a')

8-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doivid)
    I have absolutely no interest in watching football (even though all of my family are devout Leeds United fans). I prefer sports such as tennis or rugby, where everyone seems involved in the game at all times. Football is just like cricket, there isn't enough happening to keep me interested.

My suggestion would be to try to watch other sports, it can be hard when everyone around you seems obsessed by one specific sport that you cannot see any point in. Also I think that you have the final say in defining your masculinity, not football .

haha I LOVE your sig!!! so kawaiii

and um no OP duh ofc u DON'T have to like football thats like saying alllll girls ought to love ballet or somthing....which I do but thats cos I'm a dancer...but no I mean you don;t have to conform to anything you don't want too...I like guys who don't like football actually (not saying I dislike ones who do) but I always feel obliged to "get into" football if a guy I'm dating is into it as well...its kinda a downer...I prefer rugby myself much more interesting

ReputationRep:
    No, though I find it strange wen a guy knows nothing or little about the game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon the 7th)
    i dont like football

You are now my most favourite person in the universe

ReputationRep:
    Football's much better to watch live than it is on the TV.
    I like football and just about all other sports (besides tennis, rugby union and swimming) basically because I'm a sporting anorak. The best thing the unpredictability of sport where it can all change in an instant whereas if you just watch drama shows on tv, you can read the tv guide and you know what happens before you've seen it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.P.D-L)
    I'm a guy and i dont like watching football, playing football or even talking about football.

^ I'd form an even quicker relationship if i knew the person i was talking top wasn't interested in football.. haha

(i bet someone is going to try and quote me then and edit what a writ by changing the 'u' in 'guy' to an 'a')

8-)
    Similar situation, i have no interest in football what-so-ever but the majority of people who i've met who like football are generally quite full of themselves and try to look down on you if you don't like the sport.

It's probably the only thing they know about; try and talk to them about something which matters such as the news and they have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meenapixi)
    ...I prefer rugby myself much more interesting
    Is this in anyway related to the 30 big muscular men on the pitch? :rolleyes: XD

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.