Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do boys/males have to like football? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A guy's masculinaty is not determined by whether they like football or not...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not into sport or religion, so football doesn't interest me in the slightest. I don't want to play it, I don't want to watch it, I don't want to play fantasy football, I don't want to talk about it, I don't even want to play football video games.

But then again I'll freely admit I'm not particularly masculine. I'm not particularly feminine either though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Long Haired Teen)
    Is this in anyway related to the 30 big muscular men on the pitch? :rolleyes: XD

:p: Are my intentions THAT transparent?....dang it all...I thought I was covering it up pretty well...Oh well....but I do find it more interesting then football...the game rugby that is...besides the men in rugby arn't such sissy wuss bags...in football they cry if they break a nail...

ReputationRep:
    Might aswell rename this thread to The Gay/LGBT Society, then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince357)
    Does having a passion for football or liking it define your masculinity as most boys/males have a passion for it? I don't get it

Basically, I was brought up in Africa and what I basically did was go to school, come back at home, eat, have tutorials, do my homework, watch cartoons or a drama and go to bed. In the weekends, I usually wash my school uniform, do my chores, eat, watch TV and go to bed.

I have attempted and tried watching football so many times but I can't fathom what people see in it. Basically, what I see is boys kicking a ball, I seriously don't understand. I'm more into watching comedies, dramas, horror movies and expanding my knowledge on the internet.

My parents and friends have talked me into watching football or having knowledge on it but I don't just see what's fun about it.

I may not be pro level but I can play football. I just see it pointless IMO

I really want to know and like football as it is generally what males like (I'm a boy btw) but i'm confused. Any help? Is it too late or what can I do for me to like it.

My mum was just telling me i'm too feminine ******** that i'm meant to like boys stuff like football. Help me, I'm confused...
    I am a big football fan, however, unlike most footbal fans I am a girl, and so I find this subject quite interesting.

I listen to a lot of blokes down the pub, talking about football in such basic forms- who signed who, whos going to win the prem etc etc. I have always found it interesting that blokes who clearly do not know that much about football, or seem to not like it that much, talk about it all the time.

Men do not have to like football, in fact in the USA they aren't big fans of it. Now if it was such a universally fantastic sport as it is sometimes portrayed, then it is important to compare with other cultures who think that it is a big pile of ****.

My thoughts on it, not that it is founded in much, is that it is a symbol of masculinity in our culture. Because of this the more insecure of males feel the need to converse about it all the time, trumping their friends with the most up to date information/fantasy football/fave goals etc because it then says "LOOK I AM MAN, I LIKE FOOTBALL AND BUILD FIRE". A conversation about football between a group of men is usually merely a coded conversation of whom has the biggest penis.

However, this does not mean that all people (men especially) feel this way, and I think quite a few genuinely like it. However the culture of "having to love it" is just a bit false, and trying a bit too hard.

If you don't like football, don't pretend, its just a waste of time. If people (your mother included) think that it is not manly, then screw them. The most "manly" (an odd concept in itself, but thats for another time) men I know don't really like football, or if they do, they don't feel the need to go on about it. This is because it is just something they enjoy, not an identification of their masculinty.

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoy playing football but watching the sport no longer interestse me in the slightest. I'll catch big games now and again (mainly European ones) but I'd hardly say I'm not masculine because of that... it's more my slightly camp nature and mannerisms :P

ReputationRep:
    No, but I love it. Honestly, the world would be a sadder place without football.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather play football instead. Don't get me wrong I can watch 90min+ aswell. Not every guy has to like it.

ReputationRep:
    Its a bonding thing,
    I know guys who make themself like it and can therefore start a chat/ have something in coman straight away with almost any other guy.

ReputationRep:
    no... end of!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Long Haired Teen)
    Is this in anyway related to the 30 big muscular men on the pitch? :rolleyes: XD
    cant blame her :p:

Op thats like asking if all girls need to be girly girly, obsessed with hair straightners, make up and talking about guyssss....

be interested in whatever you want to be.... individuality all the way

ReputationRep:
    Farhan is a bit of a **** to be honest.
    Liking or not liking football doesn't define your masculinity. I can watch a match and be mildy entertained and sure i love actually playing it but can I name you every single player off every single team and compare them? No.

A friend of mine finds it incredibly boring - but he makes up for it with an obsession with cars. Also to Farhan - I'd like to see you go up against someone who loves playing Rugby and hates football.

ReputationRep:
    Rugby > Football.

Less cheating, less girls on the field.

ReputationRep:
    Bullcrap. I don't like playing football, maybe becasue i'm crap and haven't played since school days (2004). But I like watching a fair game even though I don't support anyone in specific. I also hate playing cricket, take pleasure watching it like football. I have other enjoyments in life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kemik)
    Rugby > Football.

Less cheating, less girls on the field.
    :ditto:

it's also much more fun to watch seeing in football if they get poked they will run off the field crying while with rugby someone could get crushed and they will carry on playing.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's good when a guy likes football :yep:

That being said, I'm not actually a fan myself.

ReputationRep:
    I only started to get more interested in it at uni, and when I noticed Messi <3

ReputationRep:
    No, all my friends do, but i find it so boring.

Sometimes they talk about it, i just ignore it until the subject changes and join in the convo again:P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince357)
    Does having a passion for football or liking it define your masculinity as most boys/males have a passion for it? I don't get it

Basically, I was brought up in Africa and what I basically did was go to school, come back at home, eat, have tutorials, do my homework, watch cartoons or a drama and go to bed. In the weekends, I usually wash my school uniform, do my chores, eat, watch TV and go to bed.

I have attempted and tried watching football so many times but I can't fathom what people see in it. Basically, what I see is boys kicking a ball, I seriously don't understand. I'm more into watching comedies, dramas, horror movies and expanding my knowledge on the internet.

My parents and friends have talked me into watching football or having knowledge on it but I don't just see what's fun about it.

I may not be pro level but I can play football. I just see it pointless IMO

I really want to know and like football as it is generally what males like (I'm a boy btw) but i'm confused. Any help? Is it too late or what can I do for me to like it.

My mum was just telling me i'm too feminine ******** that i'm meant to like boys stuff like football. Help me, I'm confused...
    Sports in order of greatness:

Football > Rugby > Tennis > Cricket

Why not like all four like I do than just football?

Sports in order of fun, IMO:

Football > Rugby > Cricket > Tennis

I can't play cricket for ****, but I'd love to be able to.

Sports in order of fun to watch:

Football > Tennis > Cricket > Rugby

Just make sure your watching a good player/team!

Skill required:

Football > Cricket > Tennis > Rugby

You can probably guess I love football, but even so, have an open mind and take as many sports as possible into account. I want to play all four of these at a good level through the next two years, and I think, sport in general makes you seem more masculine, from Football, to Badminton, to Squash.

Football is life. Life without football would be death.

I can't imagine a life without football. How do you pass your time if you don't like football? :eek:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 30, 2009
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.