Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey..Just wanted to see if there are any postgrads starting this year at bristol? i'm gonna be doing a masters in security and development. i'm quite sure this thread will not generate a lot of repsonses, maybe none, but worth a try.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be a postgrad! MSc in Neuropsychology. I'm American so I don't know anybody there yet

ReputationRep:
    MA Law, Deans Court

ReputationRep:
    hey hey...wow, 2 responses already, and here i was thinking this would be another lonely thread on TSR. Don't worry galaxygirl, i think most of us will be in the same boat with regards to not knowing anybody there. Do you have any idea where you'll be staying, have you already sorted the accomodation? And whereabouts are you from america?

And where are you from hakinen, are you from the uk? Are both of you guys coming straight from doing an undergrad at uni or have you been working?

ReputationRep:
    MSc Transfusion & Transplantation Sciences

And before the onslaught of questions :p: : Graduated in 08, went travelling, came back trying to get a job, failed, got onto the MSc at the very last minute.

ReputationRep:
    ah, always nice to find other postgrads going to the same uni.
    & cheers to OP for the heads up about this thread.

i'll be doing an MSc Computer Science.

staying @ Deans Court too.

graduated donkey years ago (2002, actually)...been working for the past few yrs til it suddenly snapped in my head that i want a break from the rat race & a change in career direction/field.
    so here i am. :p:

@galaxygirl12 : i'm from Malaysia & don't know anybody there yet either (well, amongst the postgrads anyway...i do know an undergrad there, but i imagine she'll have her own friends & activities). so always nice to meet another fellow newbie postgrad-er.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

If 2002 is donkey years ago, find me suitable word for my graduation in 1997 :P
    I've been working in public service for more than 10 yrs now. And I am from Turkey.

ReputationRep:
    hmm...my first undergrad was donkey years ago as well it seems..i finished my bachelors in computer science in 2001, worked for 5-6 odd years and then decided to do another undergrad...so i changed directions and did a bachelors in arabic, islamic and religious studies, and now changing directions once again i'm doing a masters in development and security.

I know that hakinen and kimgan have already got accomodation sorted, what about you other guys, have you already got accomodation for the year?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, doing the househunting program thing in September. I'll do anything to avoid staying in halls again.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be living in Woodland Court. I went to visit the campus in June and it seemed like the closest and the other two require walking up a hill just to get to classes. I'm really excited, but also really nervous. I'm right out of undergrad and I'm pretty sure living in Bristol is going to be so different than living in Boston, MA (I went to Boston University for undergrad and live fairly close). Now I just need to get this visa sorted...

ReputationRep:
    oh, yeah...i noticed the hill walking when i was looking around the area on Google Street View (didn't have a chance to go visit the uni myself).

but it seemed the closest to my dept's building & i liked the look of the surrounding area more than Woodland Court or Chantry Court personally. admittedly i'm in sore need of the exercise anyway...so maybe the fact that i must climb uphill every day to get to uni will help me to shed some weight. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Im starting the Development and Security postgrad in Sept. Gonna be staying in Deans Court.....was there 2 weeks ago...noticed the giant hill but at least il save on gym membership!
    Just out of my undergrad which I did in Dublin (thats where I live). Cannot wait to move to Bristol!!

ReputationRep:
    Ooo me me me!! I shall be doing a PhD in Biological Sciences (anyone else feel like they're on University Challenge? :p:)

And I have nowhere to live. But shhhhhhh that's a secret

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Ooo me me me!! I shall be doing a PhD in Biological Sciences (anyone else feel like they're on University Challenge? :p:)

And I have nowhere to live. But shhhhhhh that's a secret
    love your candour about your living arrangement...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimgan)
    love your candour about your living arrangement...
    Hehe one of my old flatmates has just accepted a place at Bristol for a masters (over York, which he told me has a better course and much much cheaper fees) because "I know people in Bristol" - i.e. me and one other person, who is only there temporarily while job hunting. I love him to pieces, but we're very different people and I'm moving to Bristol for a new start in a new city - my new adventure! He, unlike me, came to Oxford from a good private school so already knew people, so I guess it's more scary for him to make the jump again, but I'm really trying to not hurt his feelings while making sure that we don't live together again. Whereas most of my friends would completely understand my reasons for moving, and that I didn't expect an old friend to hop in there with me, he will be hurt that I don't want to live with him, and won't understand that it's not because I don't like him or value him as a friend - it's because I know that I'm going to have no time at all to spare (lab based PhD, long distance boyfriend, very keep musician and sportswoman) and if I'm going to meet people then I can't be sat at home while he *cough* tells me about his girlfriend. So I'm trying to keep it quiet that I don't have anything signed for yet because then it's more 'acceptable' that I don't want to flathunt with him.

ReputationRep:
    Thats completely understandable. I had an opportunity to do the same postgrad back home in Dublin for a lot less money but I just knew I didnt want to be with the same people for another year and I wanted to try something new. So its understandable that you would want to do this seperate from your friend. I hope it works out for you!

ReputationRep:
    fair enough. there's a fine line between being good friends & being good flatmates, for sure. hope it all works out for you & you can have someplace to stay before term starts.

ReputationRep:
    Wooooo...2 of us doing security & development, we rock!!!

Svenjamin, any particular reason you don't want to live in halls? have you had a bad expeirance of it?

ReputationRep:
    Lots and lots of reasons

My hall room at manchester in first year was unbelievably small and had no space to put anything. Life style-wise I much prefered living with 4-5 people in a house I could feel is kinda mine, instead of halls with loads of people in a big block where only my room feels like my own. House parties are a big bonus too, I have some friends studying/working in Bristol and I don't want to be the only person in halls!

Plus I got onto the Masters pretty late (May/June) so I had a lot of rushing about to get all the forms and stuff I needed. Signing onto a house hunting program was a lot less hassle than researching and choosing a halls. My friend at Bristol did the fresher's version of the house searching thing 2 years ago and said it was pretty good, so I trust her recommendation.

I've never even visited the campus either so choosing halls would be by blind chance and photos online, the program at least gives me a couple of days to look around. Scoping out the city is important for me because I'll be spending a lot of time studying at the Blood Centre, which is 4 miles north of the uni, so location-wise I'll probably find a house better suited to me than a halls.

Bit of everything really, there's no one big reason.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, seems like you've got your reasons for not living in halls. You think you got late onto the Masters, well i only got a place at bristol about 3 weeks ago. in fact i'm still getting offers from other unis right now, but i've made up my mind about going to bristol. also, i've never been to bristol either. i only live about 2 hours away, but i thought it would be slightly more exciting if i just went there without checking the place out first (i know it's sad, but that's pretty much as exciting as it gets for me these days).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.