Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.postgrad.com/editorial/psuk_study_bursaries/

just thought some of you might want to do this. open to both uk and international students, and you only have to write 200 words.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like i'll be joining some of you guys in Deans Court as well.

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I will also be starting as a Postgrad in Bristol in September. It's the bright, eminently employable world of the MA in Russian History for me. I'm from Dublin and I will be living in Woodland Court for the year. I haven't lived in Halls before so I am looking forward to it; and it's considerably less hassle than flat-hunting. I was over in Bristol last week and WC looks pretty good and they showed me around an apartment so I got a feel for it. I have to say, I am really taken back by Bristol; I fell for it the moment I set foot in it.

As for my history, I have a degree in, well, History which I got in 2007. I spent the last two years working in that bete noir of efficiency and self-realisation, the student movement. Though, I hasten to add, while I may have long hair and be a bit of a lefty, I do wash regularly and am all about efficiency.

That's pretty much it other than quite excited to start. On an aside, do people feel it's better to go straight to a PG from UG or take a few years out? In my case, the years out have worked for me as they taught me how to knuckle down and made me realise how much I want this course.

Right, back to my insomnia (so excuse the ravings).

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the thread Bartron. Russian history eh...sounds quite specific, you got anything in mind what sort of work you're gonna do after this?

I agree with you regarding living in halls. much less hassle than living in a private rented place, also much easier to get something fixed rather than running after landlord/lady.

I did my first G in 2001 (thats when i graduated) and i've just finished my second UG this summer. I think it's better to have a gap between the UG and PG. after a few years you realise how interested you still are in that field and as you said it makes you realise how much you want to do something. also, my experiances in my first UG and second UG were completely different, i think being more mature helped me enjoy it more the second time around (though i do use the word mature in a very loose manner).

ReputationRep:
    Hey Bartron, Im from Dublin too? Which part are you from? Im heading over to Bristol in 5 weeks. Going to be living in Deans Court. Its cool that you got to see one of the apartments. I made my decision entirely on the pics they have online!

When are you hoping to make the move over there?

Im just out of my undergrad in international relations in DCU and my postgrad is in Development and Security...same as Citizen. I wasnt really sure about whether or not I wanted to take the few years out like your did...I was mostly worried that after a considerable amount of time away from the books I would find it difficult getting back into the studying. Im lucky in that I've always known that I want to study development but I think its really cool that your time away from college has made you more certain about Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McCarc27)
    Going to be living in Deans Court. Its cool that you got to see one of the apartments. I made my decision entirely on the pics they have online!
    heh...i decided on Deans Court based only on the pix i saw too. :p:

i wonder how many of us chose the accommodations based on just pix alone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimgan)
    heh...i decided on Deans Court based only on the pix i saw too. :p:

i wonder how many of us chose the accommodations based on just pix alone?
    All of my choices about this postgraudate study is on based pix, google earth and some youtube.

ReputationRep:
    I have so far resisted the temptation to even look at pics or look at any sort of information regarding the accomodation, the university (apart from the very basic that i needed to go over to ensure that the course was what i wanted to do) and about bristol city itself. I want to be completely surprised when i get there, i hope it's the good kind of surprise though.

ReputationRep:
    all i can say is i hope i'm not in for an unpleasant shock when i arrive after all the photos i've seen. heh
    tho i think it's fair to assume that the Google Street View pix aren't touched up in any way to look nicer...i think.

ReputationRep:
    Citizen - I absolutely love that you're just leaving it all completely to chance!

When are people heading to Bristol? I just booked my flight....21st of September. I wanted the week to settle in and explore the place a bit....any of the Deans Court people going to be there that early?

ReputationRep:
    When are people heading to Bristol? I just booked my flight....21st of September. I wanted the week to settle in and explore the place a bit....any of the Deans Court people going to be there that early?
    me! haha :woo:
    ...for pretty much the same reasons as you, really.
    i'm booked to move in on 21 Sep. tho i'll really be in UK already by 3 Sep...planning to have a look around other parts 1st (mainly London & Oxford, where i'll be based initially) before moving on to Bristol.

also gotten my timetable for the freshers/introductory week & it looks like i'll be pretty busy with uni matters on that week so the extra week before to settle in will be handy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citizen)
    Russian history eh...sounds quite specific, you got anything in mind what sort of work you're gonna do after this?
    Well, I always had an interest in Russian history and thanks to the timely arrival of a lecturer in Russian history to my university in the last two years of my UG, I was able to get much more into it. I got him to supervise my dissertation as well so the two of those things combine djust gave me a passion for it. It's scary in that if I head to a bookshop I go straight to that section.

Yeah, I know it seems like an anti-job choice but it felt like the right one right now. I am very interested in it and to be honest, I don;t want to not do it and spend the rest of my life wondering 'what if?'. At the very least, if I decide not to go further with it, I will at least have given it a shot as best I can whcih I can be satisfied with. Als, I will finally get the addicition out of my system! :P

I am weighing a few post MA options up. The first is a PhD in Russian history, I contacted someone in Bristol last year about it and he seemed to like my idea. The next one is trying to get into the UK Civil Service. The last one is a PhD in Quality Assurance and Higher Education Policy in King's College London. Of course, all three of those options are subject to a significant amount of outside chance so we will see. My over-riding passion, thanks to the last two years, is education and I want to stay involved in either through academia or policy. So, no crystal duck fountain and three homes in my future so

Hey Bartron, Im from Dublin too? Which part are you from? Im heading over to Bristol in 5 weeks. Going to be living in Deans Court. Its cool that you got to see one of the apartments. I made my decision entirely on the pics they have online!

When are you hoping to make the move over there?
    I'm from Lucan so out in the Westside Badlands :P Whereabouts hail you from? Oh I also originally applied based on photos online. My friend studies there so I rang her to get some advice but she never picked up so I just had to chance it! I was given WC and then I headed over a look. I am hoping to move in the 26th September. I must start getting all that sorted out actually.

Im lucky in that I've always known that I want to study development but I think its really cool that your time away from college has made you more certain about Bristol.
    Well, I have known for a few years that I wanted to do a PG in History; in fact the one in Bristol has been my course of choice since early 2007! I just decideded to do the SU thing first; something I don't regret. Looking back, I had a bit of 'growing up' to do first which I am glad I did. Some people feel 'ready' when they leave college, others don't, others don't want to do further study and then some, like me, decide to explore a few things first with the intention of coming back.

To Kimgan, I have been around most of the University District and the city centre and Bristol really is a beautiful little city. Granted the weather was beautiful so that helped but it is very well kept. My friend has a house overlooking the Wills Memorial building so when I stayed there the city skyline at night was beautiful.

So, everyone receive their registration info? I like how we can choose out student card photo. There is a funny one of me on a toadstool skychair ride for kids at Alton Towers that I really want to use...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bartron Prime)
    To Kimgan, I have been around most of the University District and the city centre and Bristol really is a beautiful little city. Granted the weather was beautiful so that helped but it is very well kept. My friend has a house overlooking the Wills Memorial building so when I stayed there the city skyline at night was beautiful.

So, everyone receive their registration info? I like how we can choose out student card photo. There is a funny one of me on a toadstool skychair ride for kids at Alton Towers that I really want to use...
    nice that you got to experience Bristol beforehand. & thanks for the reassurance...heh

yeah, i like the fact that i can at least choose what photo i want used on the student card. at my prev uni, we were just herded to a room in the admin office during our uni orientation tour & then told "right then. pls queue up to take your student ID photo."...to which we were all freaking out over cos we looked crap. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my last uni card photo was abyssmal. First thing in the morning, with umpteen different queues for different things. Everyone was tired, looked terrible and were totally overwhelmed by the number of forms and things. I looked terrible, plus I had long hair in 1st year, so when I had short hair in 2nd and 3rd year bouncers for clubs were convinced I had stolen my sisters student card (I had swiped the card through automatic gates so much that my first name had rubbed off and my face in the photo was totally blurred).

But now I have the same photo for my passport, ISIC card and Bristol student card, so got some uniformity now.

My registration doesn't start til Oct. 5th, so at least I get freshers week totally free. Downside is I won't get my student card til after freshers. Hopefully my ISIC card will cover me for that week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bartron Prime)
    So, everyone receive their registration info?
    Yes...
    I like how we can choose out student card photo.
    But don't remember any mention of that :haughty:
    When are people heading to Bristol?
    Woah I'm gonna be eaaaaaaaaaarly!! I might be there any time as soon as September 10th... Just a case of sorting accommodation!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    But don't remember any mention of that :haughty:
    http://www.bris.ac.uk/photo-id/
    Welcome to the University Card photo upload system. This website allows new students and staff to upload a passport-style photo image (for example, from a digital camera) which will be used for the production of their University Card.

If you are unable to upload your image, you will need to visit the Arts and Social Sciences Library on Tyndall Avenue to have your photo taken – but this may delay the issue of your University Card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimgan)
    http://www.bris.ac.uk/photo-id/

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm going to be doing Neuroscience at Bristol having come straight from my undergraduate degree without a gap year :/
    I'm supposed to be living in Hotwells House and moving next week but it all seems a bit confusing at the moment with my bank account saying something different to the UNITE online personal account! I hope it works out well in the end and the halls aren't *too* noisy!

ReputationRep:
    Hi All!

I'm starting in September too, MSC International Relations. Coming straight from my undergrad, although I'm nearly 24, can't wait to get started.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Bartron Prime] I'm from Lucan so out in the Westside Badlands :P Whereabouts hail you from? Oh I also originally applied based on photos online. My friend studies there so I rang her to get some advice but she never picked up so I just had to chance it! I was given WC and then I headed over a look. I am hoping to move in the 26th September. I must start getting all that sorted out actually.[QUOTE]

Im from a little further north....the seaside town of Malahide! Recently in the news due to the rail line collapsing!

Cannot believe that this time 3 weeks I will be attempting to unpack all my stuff into my room in Deans Court!! I planned my arrival pretty badly in that Im getting an evening flight and wont be able to move into the accommodation until the 22nd of Sept but I have a friend who's staying about 15mins north of the city so hoping he'll let me crash on his couch for the first night!

Its so soon!!!!!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.