Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

I plan to apply for dentistry at Leeds,Birmingham,Liverpool and Bristol. My question is how do I prove my clinical experience? Do I have to get a recommendation letter from the dentist I shadowed or something like that? Or will they just ask me questions about it?

This one is for the non-UK students...Will they consider interviewing me if I won't have any English test like TEOFL or IELTS passed by the time I apply? I plan to take one of them but I'm not exactly sure when.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I see. I was just worried about how to prove I actually shadowed a dentist. Was thinking they want pictures or something :P. Thank you!

Now to find out what's up with those language exams...

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Hardly any international students are accepted into dentistry and thats a fact but as a few are you still have a chance.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.sarwar7)
    Hardly any international students are accepted into dentistry and thats a fact but as a few are you still have a chance.
    This is interesting... how come?

(Original post by wisdom-tooth)
    Ring the universities and ask them about the English requirement.
    Do you think that e-mailing an admissions representative will be as good as that? If so, should my letter be a formal one?

Thanks to both of you.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Wisdom. You've been really helpfull.
    Sure hope s.sarwar7 is wrong...

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I know about 4 people at different unis currently doing dentistry. They all said there is like 2 to 5 international students doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.sarwar7)
    I know about 4 people at different unis currently doing dentistry. They all said there is like 2 to 5 international students doing it.
    Interesting. I'll keep that in mind. But I'm still applying for it.
    Thanks for the info

ReputationRep:
    its always worth applying

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I suppose. But I would hate not getting into any of the Uni's I'll apply to..Fingers crossed I suppose.

(Original post by Razthevan)
    Yeah I suppose. But I would hate not getting into any of the Uni's I'll apply to..Fingers crossed I suppose.
    Best of luck buddy. Just make sure you get varied experience in all area's of dentistry. Remember Bristol require min. of 20 days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Conda)
    Best of luck buddy. Just make sure you get varied experience in all area's of dentistry. Remember Bristol require min. of 20 days.
    Thank you Andy . I didn't knew about the 20 days requirement Bristol has. Kinda hard to get a varied experience around here... but I'll do my best .
    Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

I plan to apply for dentistry at Leeds,Birmingham,Liverpool and Bristol. My question is how do I prove my clinical experience? Do I have to get a recommendation letter from the dentist I shadowed or something like that? Or will they just ask me questions about it?

This one is for the non-UK students...Will they consider interviewing me if I won't have any English test like TEOFL or IELTS passed by the time I apply? I plan to take one of them but I'm not exactly sure when.

Thank you.
    Hi, I'm from the UK but I think I can help with this.

I don't think you have to take the tests by the time you apply, but if they give you an offer, they will tell you to take the test and get a certain score before a certain date. Ring to confirm this, but I know an international student who didn't take the test before she applied. She got an interview and a conditional offer from Liverpool but she had to take the test before August and achieve a minimum score to be accepted. This was in addition to achieving the grades, i.e. AAB. Hope this helped! Ring/email just to make sure though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dp0567)
    Hi, I'm from the UK but I think I can help with this.

I don't think you have to take the tests by the time you apply, but if they give you an offer, they will tell you to take the test and get a certain score before a certain date. Ring to confirm this, but I know an international student who didn't take the test before she applied. She got an interview and a conditional offer from Liverpool but she had to take the test before August and achieve a minimum score to be accepted. This was in addition to achieving the grades, i.e. AAB. Hope this helped! Ring/email just to make sure though.
    Thank you dp0567.
    I did email them. Hope to get a reply now. Only concern now is to get a place.... and the odds are low right now even tho I have good grades...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you dp0567.
    I did email them. Hope to get a reply now. Only concern now is to get a place.... and the odds are low right now even tho I have good grades...
    You're welcome. Just stay positive..good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dp0567)
    You're welcome. Just stay positive..good luck!
    Thank you . The odds are getting slimmer with each email reply tho.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.