Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know this mite seem werid but does anyone take a TV with them.. or is anyone planning on doing it.

ReputationRep:
    I took my TV, just be aware you will have to buy a TV licence for the room you are in and everyone else in your flat will need one for their room.

ReputationRep:
    Alot of people do, but most people didnt in my experience.

Seperate rooms do technically need a licence of their own, but you could easily get away without having one. The Tv licence people arent allowed on site and they send threatening letters to everyone regardless of if you have a licence or not, so its really not worth bothering with one. Reception in some places is fine, its terrible in others- I cant get BBC channels in my room at all for example. You can take it with you and see how it goes, if you dont watch it much or dont want it with you just take it back home at christmas.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be taking my 32" HDTV in September :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    The last thing i would want or hope to need at University would be a TV.

ReputationRep:
    or you could just save your self the hassle and use zattoo! im taking my 24" iMac to enjoy haha. any questions feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    i dont plan on taking mine - mainly because in my halls i would need an inside areial so i guess the reception will be ****. also dont want to pay for a tv license. i plan to be to busy to watch tv!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to bother i'll only have to lug it home with me at christmas and easter. I can watch tv shows on my laptop and i plan on watching most of the football in the pub :yeah:

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people in my halls took one. My friends who didn't did admit they missed having a tv, so there'd often be TV nights planned for certain shows lol.

You can get away with not having a tv license, but I saw first hand my flatmate getting done for not having one when the TV licensing people came for a surprise spot check. Luckily I did have one.

ReputationRep:
    Take a TV. But don't bother with a licence. (They can't trace individual rooms)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Han265)
    i dont plan on taking mine - mainly because in my halls i would need an inside areial so i guess the reception will be ****.
    Well, John Foster pavilions had little aerial sockets built into the walls that allowed you to connect to their roof aerial. Dunno about any other accomodation, you'd have to ask someone that stayed there :P

However, you're other reasons seem perfectly valid for not wanting to take a TV, so please don't consider me trying to talk you out of it, merely enabling you to make an informed decision.

Also, a word to everyone. In my experience last year, having a TV made you Mr./Mrs. Popular as there was always a film / tv night going on, or someone wanting to hook up a games console.

ReputationRep:
    Depends where you are. I was in bowder court (Uni of Leicester halls) and could not get a signal at all. Took my TV home after first semester. John Fosters has signal points I believe, but none of the others do (correct me if im wrong). Don't bother with a TV licence.

ReputationRep:
    If any of you can't afford a TV licence, what you can do is download a programme called Zattoo on your computer which allows you to watch all freeview channels!

EDIT: here is the link if you want to try it out. http://www.zattoo.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roosel4)
    If any of you can't afford a TV licence, what you can do is download a programme called Zattoo on your computer which allows you to watch all freeview channels!

EDIT: here is the link if you want to try it out. http://www.zattoo.com/
    did mention that before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yizi)
    did mention that before
    Oh yeah sorry, my bad!

Great program isn't it!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what reception is like for the JoFo houses? I know the pavillons have plug in areial spaces, but I don't think the houses do. I'm in The Beeches next year and nobody last year there had a tv (I'm friend's with a girl who lived there last year and got to know most of the people there). I just don't want to re-new my license if the reception isn't that great, although I may end up getting one even if it isn't since my laptop won't play dvds so I'll take my tv for them.

I was in Beaumont this year and generally had no problem with reception after I bought a better aerial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QI Elf)
    Does anyone know what reception is like for the JoFo houses? I know the pavillons have plug in areial spaces, but I don't think the houses do. I'm in The Beeches next year and nobody last year there had a tv (I'm friend's with a girl who lived there last year and got to know most of the people there). I just don't want to re-new my license if the reception isn't that great, although I may end up getting one even if it isn't since my laptop won't play dvds so I'll take my tv for them.

I was in Beaumont this year and generally had no problem with reception after I bought a better aerial.
    Well, its utter ***** where I was in the Coppice and I dont think you can get reception in Treroose, I wouldnt get your hopes up for signal to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Depends which halls you're in for signal, i was in John Foster in my first and second year and they have aerial points in the wall so signal is perfect, i made good use of my freeview box! But as far as i know, that's the only hall with aerial points (correct me if i'm wrong anyone!) and signal wasn't too great for some friends of mine in other halls who had to use their own internal aerials.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rach-88)
    Depends which halls you're in for signal, i was in John Foster in my first and second year and they have aerial points in the wall so signal is perfect, i made good use of my freeview box! But as far as i know, that's the only hall with aerial points (correct me if i'm wrong anyone!) and signal wasn't too great for some friends of mine in other halls who had to use their own internal aerials.
    Did you pay the tv license fee? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i-Citizen)
    Did you pay the tv license fee? :rolleyes:
    Yeah didn't know about the thing for computers! Wouldn't now though cos of bbc iplayer, itv player and 4od!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 17, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.