Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there
    Icureently have an offer for EEM at worcester of AAB. I was predictedd AAA and was pretty confident however with the results today I found I had only achieved AAB but with the B in the wrong subject in physics instead of chemistry.

Now I was suprised by this and my school is now appealing on it (hopefully they have mislaid a page of my exam paper or something which has happened to me before) but would like to get any advice on what to do now. Obviously I think I should phone Oxford up to at least tell them I am appealing so that they can keep the place open for me if the appeal comes through but should I be phoning up the college or the admissions office? and does anyone think there would be any point in trying to talk them into accepting me even if my appeal doesn't come through?

Many thanks for any advice you can give

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ring them up and find out whether they'll take you anyway. It's definitely worth it, regardless of the appeal, but they might not give you an answer till after the A-level results day.

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably say the admissions office, because they can relay any info you give to your college in a flash, anyway, if they think it's necessary, at this point.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    How do you know already?

O, your Scottish, didn't realise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poossum)
    How do you know already?
    She did the SQA Highers - the results of which came out today/yesterday. I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by up above)
    Hi there
    Icureently have an offer for EEM at worcester of AAB. I was predictedd AAA and was pretty confident however with the results today I found I had only achieved AAB but with the B in the wrong subject in physics instead of chemistry.

Now I was suprised by this and my school is now appealing on it (hopefully they have mislaid a page of my exam paper or something which has happened to me before) but would like to get any advice on what to do now. Obviously I think I should phone Oxford up to at least tell them I am appealing so that they can keep the place open for me if the appeal comes through but should I be phoning up the college or the admissions office? and does anyone think there would be any point in trying to talk them into accepting me even if my appeal doesn't come through?

Many thanks for any advice you can give
    Phone the Admissions Officer at Worcester College. Describe the situation and see what they say. Hopefully you will know what happened from your appeal before the English A level results come out anyway which will be helpful.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Phone Dr. Jane Gover, the Tutor for Admissions at Worcester: 01865 278342. She's ridiculously nice and if you explain the situation, she can talk to you about whether the college can accept you anyway or not

ReputationRep:
    I don't advise phoning; email is better so they have a written record.

However, Scottish results are provided to universities along with A-level results, so while you may have heard, your college may not. In any case they probably won't make a decision until then.

ReputationRep:
    Oh well phoned up the admission office today and spoke to a very nice person there and then they passed me on to Dr Jane Gover who was also very nice and they both basically said the same thing that decisions will be made on the 20th so I'm stuck in limbo till then. But they also said that an appeal would only count if I could get it before the 20th so yikes better start harassing my school to go faster :p:

I will probably e-mail them my case for why I should get a place over someone else who has missed their offer in case the appeal doesn't come through ,and such a situation presents itself, in the next few days just so they can mull it over and have it imprinted in their mind before the rush on the 20th.
    But anyway it was deferred place so hopefully that will be to my advantage but if not I've got a good gap year work placement so I can always reapply next year but let’s hope I don't need to think about that :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    She did the SQA Highers - the results of which came out today/yesterday. I think.
    oh and I'm a woman now? lol

ReputationRep:
    Just to note, I know they said the appeal would only count by the 20th but ACTUALLY the precise wording of your offer is something like 'make the grades AAB by August 30th' - they leave in a certain short time for A-level result appeals, and if you make your offer by then then they're still legally obliged to take you. Obviously get on it pronto, but I'm just saying :p:

ReputationRep:
    There's no deadline for appeals / remarks - technically the end of the cycle is actually mid-October. But obviously there are practical difficulties for all concerned if your A comes in on Monday of 0th Week, so yes, the earlier the better.

Incidentally, if the remark means you meet your offer after all, but it's inconveniently timed (e.g. if the college has re-filled their quota by taking someone with an open offer), they might well offer you a deferred place instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by up above)
    oh and I'm a woman now? lol
    My deepest apologies!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.