Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Good places to visit in Thailand within a limited time frame Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I'm finishing 4 months of traveling in Thailand. I've bought Lonley Planet books for each of the countries that I've visited (god send), but am only in Thailand for just under 2 weeks (so it is not really worth buying one just for Thailand).

I'm meeting up with some friends in Bangkok, so am spending 4 days there. This leaves me with 9 days or so. I'm coming up from Penang, near the top of Malaysia, don't think I will be able to make it up to the North region. I would really appreciated it if anyone could me on suggestions of where to go? I have to be in Bangkok in the middle of my time there, and my flight is also out of Bangkok... guess I won't be able to stray very far from that region. I've read that there is a national park near Bangkok that is suppose to be good. Anyone been?

Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fivebyfive)
    Hello all,

I'm finishing 4 months of traveling in Thailand. I've bought Lonley Planet books for each of the countries that I've visited (god send), but am only in Thailand for just under 2 weeks (so it is not really worth buying one just for Thailand).

I'm meeting up with some friends in Bangkok, so am spending 4 days there. This leaves me with 9 days or so. I'm coming up from Pulau at the top of Malaysia, don't think I will be able to make it up to the North region. I would really appreciated it if anyone could me on suggestions of where to go? I have to be in Bangkok in the middle of my time there, and my flight is also out of Bangkok... guess I won't be able to stray very far from that region. I've read that there is a national park near Bangkok that is suppose to be good. Anyone been?

Thank you!!
    Yeh I have been but the place that I'm going to recommend isn't somewhere I've been unfortunately. I have heard nothing but great reviews about Pattaya and as it's not that far from Bangkok you should check it out! When you're in Bangkok go to the travel agencies and book some tours, they'll be pretty cheap too. I went to Canchanaburi (I think that's how you spell it) for the day to elephant ride, raft down the River Kwai and a couple of other things for about 6 GBP.

ReputationRep:
    Flights with Air Asia are pretty cheap if you wanted to go to Chiang Mai. I paid about £40 return, flying from BKK.

ReputationRep:
    I agree fly to Chiang Mai its amazing, flights £40 return Air Asia.
    Personally I'd not stay in bangkok more than 1 day, it's not the most pleasant of places compaired to the rest of Thailand.
    Take some cheap flights to other areas.

ReputationRep:
    I'd travel down to some of the islands - you can get an overnight bus/ferry, and still have plenty of days left to explore before going back again. I particularly recommend Koh Tao, off the east coast - its one of the top ten diving sites in the world, and if you go there, go on a boat trip to another tiny island nearby called Koh Nang Yuan. The snorkelling there, and on Koh Tao itself (particularly on the opposite side to where all the boats land) is absolutely gobsmacking. The clearness and warmth of the water was amazing too - only rivalled in my experience by Fiji, Brazil, and the Barrier Reef and the Whitsundays in Australia. If you want to avoid Ibiza type places, do not go to Phuket!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn_the_page_day_by_day)
    I agree fly to Chiang Mai its amazing, flights £40 return Air Asia.
    Personally I'd not stay in bangkok more than 1 day, it's not the most pleasant of places compaired to the rest of Thailand.
    Take some cheap flights to other areas.

I adore Bangkok :heart: really, really amazing city!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys. Really appreciate all the advice, have noted the places down... will defo try and get to some of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    I adore Bangkok :heart: really, really amazing city!
    It's strange that everybody seems to want to leave there as quick as they can. I was hoping to stick around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arteta)
    It's strange that everybody seems to want to leave there as quick as they can. I was hoping to stick around.
    Its a marmite city.
    I hate the place.

ReputationRep:
    The people who want to leave are those in search of beach resorts and full moon parties!

Bangkok is a smelly, dirty, overcrowded, dangerous city, but it is also one where people are uber friendly, much excitement happens and there is loads to see. No two days there will ever be the same, something new, something fresh will always draw your eyes in and amaze you.

Enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    The people who want to leave are those in search of beach resorts and full moon parties!

Bangkok is a smelly, dirty, overcrowded, dangerous city, but it is also one where people are uber friendly, much excitement happens and there is loads to see. No two days there will ever be the same, something new, something fresh will always draw your eyes in and amaze you.

Enjoy!
    I don't understand it, Bangkok sounds fantastic if you can put up with the sheer amount of people around. I can't wait until I turn up, of course i'll be able to form my own opinion then.

I'm thinking that on my second night there I might attempt to go clubbing, if there's nobody cool in my hostel I might just venture out alone and see what comes my way, are their big clubs safe/friendly? I'm not talking about the bars that tourists go to for girls by the way, but just the standard nightclubs that they have in the city centre.

I imagine it might be a bit hard to find your way back to a hostel though at 2am haha.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand it, Bangkok sounds fantastic if you can put up with the sheer amount of people around. I can't wait until I turn up, of course i'll be able to form my own opinion then.

I'm thinking that on my second night there I might attempt to go clubbing, if there's nobody cool in my hostel I might just venture out alone and see what comes my way, are their big clubs safe/friendly? I'm not talking about the bars that tourists go to for girls by the way, but just the standard nightclubs that they have in the city centre.

I imagine it might be a bit hard to find your way back to a hostel though at 2am haha.
    Go to a club called 'Spicy' i think its in Siam Sq. its pretty good. There are working girls in there but they wont bother you really unless you're around them etc. There is also a Spicy in Chiang Mai which in my opinion is better! Its really small and dingy but it plays amazing music and the people who go there are normally locals and a lot of airline girls ha!

Getting back to the hostel will be fine, there will be cabs and tuk tuks about all thro the night especially around the clubs.

ReputationRep:

The guy above suggested some Spicy club - I've not been but I'd avoid it if there are working girls there. Try going to some proper Thai clubs, yeh they play some Thai music but not exclusively. We really liked hearing the Thai music - we actually once went to one with free entry & got in to find the number one act of the moment was playing a live set! It was brilliant!

I don't remember the names of anywhere I went actually, but you need to be over 20 to get in so if you get i.d.ed it's a decent place. Most places feeding off tourists and the sex industry won't care about your age, so bare that in mind.

You're bound to meet people in your hostel or just out and about, but I wouldn't suggest going out late at night alone.

Avoid going to Pat Pong and getting into tuk tuks or taxis that want to take you to 'their' destination - they get back handers and you'll be expected to shell out big time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fivebyfive)
    Hello all,

I'm meeting up with some friends in Bangkok, so am spending 4 days there. This leaves me with 9 days or so. I'm coming up from Penang, near the top of Malaysia, don't think I will be able to make it up to the North region. I would really appreciated it if anyone could me on suggestions of where to go? I have to be in Bangkok in the middle of my time there, and my flight is also out of Bangkok... guess I won't be able to stray very far from that region. I've read that there is a national park near Bangkok that is suppose to be good. Anyone been?

Thank you!!
    im thai. and Bangkok is NOT a marmite city. :mad: dirty? yes. crowded? yes. so what?

Things to do in Bangkok:

Shop - Paragon, etc. or just walk around Siam. get lost in the city.
    Paintball, and Wakeboarding.
    Visit the temples and stuff.
    The floating market.
    Chatuchak market - its the last stop on the MRT (underground).
    Khaosan Road - i find it way boring, but for some reason the tourists always love it. i dont know why. might be worth a shot.
    Very good shisha and kebabs on Nana - sukhumvit 4.
    Chinatown, i suppose?
    EAT STREET FOOD. I highly recommend Sukhumvit soi 38 at night, just off the Thonglor BTS. Very cheap, very good. Not unhealthy or dirty. But of course, choose wisely.
    Take a tuk-tuk at least once.
    Oh and those motorbike people in the orange vests are like public transport. NOT motorbike gangs. I love it when tourists get scared :cool:

CLUBBING IN BANGKOK:
    RCA - 808 nightclub is good. any other place in RCA works as well, but its quite far. it's more international than other places. lots and lots of places in RCA.
    Narz - new club, very popular with young people. Close by. they don't ask for ID, especially if you look old enough.
    Gazebo - kinda like Narz, really.
    Bed Supperclub - on Sukhumvit 11. Expensive. Rich People. Has a restaurant and a gallery inside. CLOSE to city center.
    Twisted - same soi as Bed. cheaper. quieted down a lot these years, idk if its still there or not :p:
    Silom/Patpong - sleazy. cheap. stay out. close to city center but still. a club got raided by the police once, i forgot what it was called though. hmmm.
    Thonglor (Sukhumvit 55)- plays mainly Thai music, but attracts slightly more upper-class people. you could give it a shot i suppose.

just get a taxi, or take the BTS. the BTS closes at midnight, though.

don't get involved with strippers or stuff like that. you'll end up with a black eye or worse.

Watch out for ripoffs. Thai people are nice because we all love tourists, but most will try to get more money off you just because you're Caucasian and that automatically means that you are loaded.

You should check out Chiang Mai, lots of mountains and temples there. There's also a night bazaar with lots of stuff, but Bangkok has a bazaar as well so they should be quite similar.

There isn't THAT much to do East, but the people are really nice and they make amazing desserts.

The food down South is probably the best in the country. Phuket, Krabi, Samui, Hua Hin, just pick one. but don't go to Pattaya. the beach there isn't all that great, and its a very sleazy place. Hua Hin is quite close to Bangkok.

National Park? I think you mean Kao Yai. It's about 2 hours away by car, and it's quite good for hiking. Go with a guide - we got lost on a school trip before and it took 3 hours to get back to the road. The national park also has accommodation if you want to stay the night - last time I went there was no air conditioning though.

Other provinces -
    Kanchanaburi - it's in the West, and there is a Tiger Temple there.
    Lopburi - nicknamed "monkey city". because it is literally full of monkeys. lots of ancient sites and...monkeys.
    Ayutthaya - one of Thailand's old capital cities, lots of ruins and monks and cultural stuff.

i am out of things to say. i never do anything here. but have fun and i hope that helped - it should have

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't cope with the heat and the crowds and much preferred Phnom Penh to Bangkok but I think that might just be me :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn_the_page_day_by_day)
    Go to a club called 'Spicy' i think its in Siam Sq. its pretty good. There are working girls in there but they wont bother you really unless you're around them etc. There is also a Spicy in Chiang Mai which in my opinion is better! Its really small and dingy but it plays amazing music and the people who go there are normally locals and a lot of airline girls ha!

Getting back to the hostel will be fine, there will be cabs and tuk tuks about all thro the night especially around the clubs.
    Brilliant, thankyou. I'll be sure to write down the name.

The guy above suggested some Spicy club - I've not been but I'd avoid it if there are working girls there. Try going to some proper Thai clubs, yeh they play some Thai music but not exclusively. We really liked hearing the Thai music - we actually once went to one with free entry & got in to find the number one act of the moment was playing a live set! It was brilliant!

I don't remember the names of anywhere I went actually, but you need to be over 20 to get in so if you get i.d.ed it's a decent place. Most places feeding off tourists and the sex industry won't care about your age, so bare that in mind.

You're bound to meet people in your hostel or just out and about, but I wouldn't suggest going out late at night alone.

Avoid going to Pat Pong and getting into tuk tuks or taxis that want to take you to 'their' destination - they get back handers and you'll be expected to shell out big time.
    Well I expect that pretty much everywhere will have working girls to be honest, I don't think I'll escape it no matter how classy it is. Oh I know i'll meet people in the hostels, I just hope I've met people that wanna go out on my first or second night out, as i'll wanna go nuts.

I'm definitely hoping to go to a more genuine Thai one, I can't even imagine what the music will be like in there.

(Original post by rakata)
    I couldn't cope with the heat and the crowds and much preferred Phnom Penh to Bangkok but I think that might just be me :P
    Surely Phnom Penh can't be that much better for the above? Is there much in the way of nightlife in Cambodia anyway? Obviously I want to see things like Angkor Watt in the day, but at night i'll want entertaining!

ReputationRep:
    Is there much in the way of nightlife in Cambodia anyway? Obviously I want to see things like Angkor Watt in the day, but at night i'll want entertaining!
    When you're in Siem Reap to visit Angkor Wat, make sure to have dinner at The Red Piano. It's where Angelina Jolie went when she was filming 'Tomb Raider', and the food is very good too. If I remember correctly, there were a few bars around nearby as well.

ReputationRep:

Surely Phnom Penh can't be that much better for the above? Is there much in the way of nightlife in Cambodia anyway? Obviously I want to see things like Angkor Watt in the day, but at night i'll want entertaining!
    There are actually quite a few bars in Siem Reap (like Angkor What?, everyone has tshirts from there lol) You have to be more careful in PP because tons of people in Cambodia have guns and when my friend was out once (she lived there for most of this year) she heard a gun shot Defo not the same vibe as Bangkok during the night but there are still some really nice bars around, but obviously if you wanna rave, save it for somewhere else. I was just saying that I found it a bit cooler there, less crowded, a bit less touristy, and because my friend was living there she showed me around and stuff so I really enjoyed myself there

ReputationRep:
    Ko Tao every time, such a chilled Island but with enough going on to keep you entertained!!! Have a great trip!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rakata)
    There are actually quite a few bars in Siem Reap (like Angkor What?, everyone has tshirts from there lol) You have to be more careful in PP because tons of people in Cambodia have guns and when my friend was out once (she lived there for most of this year) she heard a gun shot Defo not the same vibe as Bangkok during the night but there are still some really nice bars around, but obviously if you wanna rave, save it for somewhere else. I was just saying that I found it a bit cooler there, less crowded, a bit less touristy, and because my friend was living there she showed me around and stuff so I really enjoyed myself there
    Cambodia doesn't sound as good as Thailand, i'm getting the impression it's dodgier, more expensive and more chance of disease. Still, it's worth visiting!

(Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    When you're in Siem Reap to visit Angkor Wat, make sure to have dinner at The Red Piano. It's where Angelina Jolie went when she was filming 'Tomb Raider', and the food is very good too. If I remember correctly, there were a few bars around nearby as well.
    Thanks, i'll look out for it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.