Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Good places to visit in Thailand within a limited time frame Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arteta)
    Cambodia doesn't sound as good as Thailand, i'm getting the impression it's dodgier, more expensive and more chance of disease. Still, it's worth visiting!

In Bangkok I was paying £6 for a single bed with a fan and shared bathroom, in Phnom Penh I was paying $5 for a double bed en-suite. Accom is defo cheaper in Cambodia! If you go to markets for food, just like you'd go to street sellers in Thailand, you'll pay around the same, like 50c for a meal. It's cheaper to get around to an extent because there's tons of motos, whereas in Bangkok there are more tuk tuks, but then again in BKK theres public transport lol, in Cambodia there's none (apart from buses to get from city to city). But yeah, it's definitely dodgier, but what would you expect from such a poor country? It's quite sad really My friend living there was actually shocked when she saw people in crappy little wheelchairs in Vietnam, because in Cambodia the government doesn't care enough to give anyone any. Scaming-wise you prob need to be more careful in Cambodia, but again, they have more need for your money than in Thailand. Anyways, I agree, defo well worth a visit, you just have to bare in mind how poor people really are there Oh, as for disease, not really sure what you mean; I only got the free vaccines I could get (Hep a& tetanus?) and I was fine, you just drink bottled water just like you do in Thailand *shrugs* maybe i was lucky :confused:

Edit: Where are you planning on staying in Bangkok? I stayed in 2 hostels but it was cheaper to stay alone lol, it's good to stay in a hostel to meet people really easily though

ReputationRep:
    Phuket, Hua Hin and Krabi are all pretty chill places,as a matter of fact im in Hua Hin as I type. I would certainly avoid Pattaya though. Its primarily populated by gold diggers and sex tourists from Europe. =S

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cre8)
    Ko Tao every time, such a chilled Island but with enough going on to keep you entertained!!! Have a great trip!!!
    Stop telling people about the rock! :p: I have this mega fear that it's going to turn into the new Samui :'( That'd SUCK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    Yeh I have been but the place that I'm going to recommend isn't somewhere I've been unfortunately. I have heard nothing but great reviews about Pattaya and as it's not that far from Bangkok you should check it out! When you're in Bangkok go to the travel agencies and book some tours, they'll be pretty cheap too. I went to Canchanaburi (I think that's how you spell it) for the day to elephant ride, raft down the River Kwai and a couple of other things for about 6 GBP.
    Thanks for your post, but I must warn people... don't go to Pattaya unless you like sex tourism. The place is a hole, full of nothing but whores and their fat white man clients. It was bad times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fivebyfive)
    Thanks for your post, but I must warn people... don't go to Pattaya unless you like sex tourism. The place is a hole, full of nothing but whores and their fat white man clients. It was bad times.
    Well you just might be missing out on lots more of Thailand then... Phuket, Koh Samui...

ReputationRep:
    Well you just might be missing out on lots more of Thailand then... Phuket, Koh Samui...
    If you miss Phuket & Samiu, you're not missing much. I spent 5 months travelling around Thailand & they were probably my two least favourite bits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paved_Paradise)
    If you miss Phuket & Samiu, you're not missing much. I spent 5 months travelling around Thailand & they were probably my two least favourite bits.
    I'm not into arguing this point, however Phuket & Samui are both pretty vital places (to at the very least pass through) to get to other destinations.

Thailand is overrun with tourists & most places show signs of the sex industry.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not into arguing this point, however Phuket & Samui are both pretty vital places (to at the very least pass through) to get to other destinations.

Thailand is overrun with tourists & most places show signs of the sex industry.
    Pattaya just seemed to be about the sex industry though.....

ReputationRep:
    Yes.. dont go to Pattaya unless your heading for the red light district.

Go to Koh Phi Phi and Krabi!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sugarbum)
    Yes.. dont go to Pattaya unless your heading for the red light district.

Go to Koh Phi Phi and Krabi!
    They're lovely, but so much more expensive than other places cos they're so famous...

ReputationRep:
    Than why not try places like Hua Hin or Kanchanaburi. Even Koh Samet.

ReputationRep:
    Koh Samet's quite nice :nod: although I did end up quite ill when I was there... think it was something about the hotel room... nice lil island though

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sorry to hijack this thread but you all seem very clued up about Thailand!!

Me and my friend have planned a trip to Thailand but the only time suitable for us would be July/Aug/Sept... Has anyone travelled to Thailand in rainy season before?!?
    I looked on the net for info but it's all a bit vague, i was just wondering if anyone had been out there around those times, that could tell me about it??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Scout.)
    Hey, sorry to hijack this thread but you all seem very clued up about Thailand!!

Me and my friend have planned a trip to Thailand but the only time suitable for us would be July/Aug/Sept... Has anyone travelled to Thailand in rainy season before?!?
    I looked on the net for info but it's all a bit vague, i was just wondering if anyone had been out there around those times, that could tell me about it??
    Yeah I've just got back from Asia. Its not really as rainy as you'd think, but when it rains, it really chucks it down. The main drawback is that its cloudy quite alot of the time, and the humidity is high.

On the plus side though Ko Samui, Phangan and Tao are in their hot season during the summer, so just head to them (well Tao and Phangan, not Samui) if you want some sun. Sihanoukville (in Cambodia) seemed to have nice weather as well, although I could have just been lucky.

Its also a little less busy than January/Februaury time, but I preferred that. Either way you'll still be fine going then, if wet some of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Scout.)

Agreeing with lordbonney A few of my friends live in Thailand and apparently the weather on Tao is lovely atm. Judge which side of Thailand you go to on the time of year you go. Phuket etc are better during the early months of the yr, and the Gulf's fine during the later months.

Have fun! It's HEAVEN!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like quite a few of you have interesting reviews into places in Asia.
    Next year I want to go travelling on my own (unless I find someone else to go with) and was considering Thailand to teach English for a few months or half a year, but are there any recommendations of other places in Asia that might be better for living, working, travelling?
    I plan to research well before I go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magic_unicorn)
    Sounds like quite a few of you have interesting reviews into places in Asia.
    Next year I want to go travelling on my own (unless I find someone else to go with) and was considering Thailand to teach English for a few months or half a year, but are there any recommendations of other places in Asia that might be better for living, working, travelling?
    I plan to research well before I go!
    Asia's such a wonderfully diverse place, you can't really compare the different countries... It really depends what you're looking for.
    Personally, I'd choose Thailand over anywhere else if/when I go back, but that's not to say that I didn't love the other places I visited.

Vietnams really lovely -- the people are SO friendly (at least the ones we met!) There's lots to see and do, and if you travel down the coast, I pretty much guarantee you'll be astounded by the beauty.

Cambodia's nice enough, although it wouldn't be high on my list of places to re-visit. Angkor Wat's amazing, but once you've spent a day there you'll probably have had enough... It's easy to get around & the currency is obv very easy to handle cos they use American dollars.

Loads of my friends loved Laos, but I'm not sure how they'd have felt if it were for a longer period of time... It's great for adventure stuff and alcohol though?!

India's supposed to be very nice (if a little dirty) but I wouldn't recommend it if you're female and going alone...

Hope some of that helps?!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.