Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Motorists-facing-250-parking-tax-new-Government-scheme.html

The pilot scheme will see firms with more than ten parking places for staff charged £250 a year for each, rising to £350 in two years.
    They must be joking! I cant afford that. And i cant take public transport as theres no buses to where i work :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Non Daily Mail links for those who are allergic:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...g-at-work.html
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...k-1765432.html

Next time engage with the argument and you might not get negged. (It wasn't me who negged you btw, otherwise you'd have 6 red gems).

ReputationRep:
    So, you pay VAT on a new car. You then pay Vehicle Excise Duty every year to run the car. VAT on your insurance. Petrol Duty. VAT on Petrol... and you've not even got to work yet. Then when you're at work, you pay National Insurance, Income Tax and now car park tax, which will either be passed on to the employee in their pay packet, or taxed as a benefit in kind.

I'm sick of being taxed for absolutely everything. I'm just waiting for the inevitable "Air Tax".

This isn't going to solve the problem. Most people have to drive to work, to avoid an inordinately long and unreliable journey by public transport. Just like with petrol prices/duty, putting it up isn't going to stop people driving. In my old job, I had to have a car. I lived too far away to commute by bus - it would have taken me over 2 hours, compared to 30 minutes by car. When the prices went up, I just had to put up and shut up. I'd have to do the same with my current job - and a £250/£350 tax on top of everything else will be difficult to swallow, considering how little I earn.

ReputationRep:
    wtfbbq

At the site where I work I would conservatively estimate there are 150parking spaces and this is one of the smaller sites.

So that's going to cost the company £1,050,000 a year. And where is that going to come from? My paycheque. Great.

ReputationRep:
    Environmental taxes are, so far as I see it, gimmicks to get more money out of us, which is then poured into the collective pot so that governments don't have to worry about real financial accountability.

The rather dry argument that, by our apparently noble concern for the environment we are somehow persuading other countries to act in kind is regularly being shown to be nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    I hope this doesn't get approved. I get the train to work anyway but my partner drives, will be making him bike if necessary. Hope the piot scheme in Nottingham is not successful, alternatively a change from the Labour party would be lovely.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.