Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

The first half of my summer has been relaxing, but I also have some work to do, but I just don't feel like doing it! I'm about to start Year 13 and I got given quite a bit of Chemistry homework to do, as well as finish my Extended Project. I've already self-taught most of FP1 within a week, but I find it hard to motivate myself to do the rest of the work!

Well, since I've been really nervous about the AS results (though I've calmed down a bit), is it a good idea to do the work after results day (i.e. 20th of August)? Does anyone have any good general tips on getting into an optimistic state of mind for academic work?

ReputationRep:
    I think you just have to sit down and do it [which is what I'm trying to do right now]. Try to get rid of distractions [e.g. use Leechblock if you use Firefox and spend too much time on the net] and just do it.

I've got loads of work too - I'm just going to lock my laptop away and get on with it. But, remember to relax - it's still the holidays, we get to relax until sending off UCAS stuff/Jan exams etc.

Good luck for results day and if you think studying will help, then it's up to you.

Have fun!

I personally think the best time to get working again is after results day, as you just get that feel of getting back into it all. Anyway, for the first half of this summer, relax, make sure you get some UCAS-y stuff under your belt, e.g. subject/a good selection of unis (to narrow down later ) and think about the PS. :top:

ReputationRep:
    I have to relocate if I want to actually get something done - move my laptop to the dining room or somewhere where there and no distractions. There is too much around me in my bedroom and I just can't concentrate.

Good luck anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Champagne Supernova)
    I personally think the best time to get working again is after results day, as you just get that feel of getting back into it all. Anyway, for the first half of this summer, relax, make sure you get some UCAS-y stuff under your belt, e.g. subject/a good selection of unis (to narrow down later ) and think about the PS.
    I'm certain what I want to study Maths at uni, I've got a few ideas of which ones to go to, such as Oxford, Bath and Aberystwyth, and some others that I'm not sure about. I finished my Personal Statement before the end of term, got that out of the way. So my UCAS stuff is mainly OK.

ReputationRep:
    I struggle to find motvation for the extended project award too but I got over it!

1) start by filling out the first sections of the extended project award booklet. I only had the 08/09 one but I'm presuming next years will be the same. if you don't have it move on to step 2.
    2) Make a very detailed plan about everything you need to do, basically a step-by-step guide to completing your extended project award
    3) I found at home that I got very distracted, so I went to the library in my city to get started. Once I got started I found some more motivation as I got into it & found I enjoyed doing it
    4) other things I did was to list everything I have to do when college starts again, and seeing how much having a lot of my extended project award done already would help motivated me

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would wait for results day and I would start doing some of the smaller tasks to get you back into work and then tackle the bigger tasks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.