Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Potential 1 mark difference between a B grade and an A* grade. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Consider the following scenarios, using Biology (New spec) as an example.

Scenario ONE
    Overall AS Mark- 210 (B) 70%
    Overall A2 Mark- 270 (A) 90%
    Overall Mark- 480 (A* grade awarded, because an average of 80% has been met but an average of 90% in the A2 units has also been met.)

Scenario TWO
    Overall AS Mark- 209 (C) 69.67%
    Overall A2 Mark- 270 (A) 90%
    Overall Mark- 479 (Which falls below the 480 needed for the A, and so hence is a B GRADE, even though 90% has been obtained at A2.)

So in practice, there are certain situations, If I'm thinking this out right, where 1 mark could be the difference between an A* and a B.

Am I thinking right? Or have I made some error? I'm going off the knowledge I have so far.

For the A*, you need an average of 80%(A) across the A-Level, with 90% in A2.
    For a B, you need between 420-479 UMS.

ReputationRep:
    You need to get 80% over the whole of the AS I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Hippysnake, you are right. The * is going to lead to a lot of confusion, really, and it's been poorly implemented (to put it kindly). I feel that, at the very least, you should need 80%+ at AS and 90%+ at A2. I understand that the aim is to highlight achievement at A2, but if they really want to do this, then they should just leave the AEAs alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poossum)
    You need to get 80% over the whole of the AS I believe.
    No. It's an AVERAGE of 80% across the A-Level. An A grade, or 480UMS.

ReputationRep:
    this is a good point

ReputationRep:
    I get it! That would be such a shame if that happened to anyone!

ReputationRep:
    If you're averaging a C for your first year, then you've done well to pull it up to a B in your second.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair someone who gets a C at AS is unlikely to get 90% at A2 and if they do think they can do that I guess they'd anticipate this problem and resit an AS which, with their new found work ethic and enthusiasm, they should ace.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you needed to average 90% over the whole course but with 90% in your A2?

ReputationRep:
    Wow. That would really suck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    If you're averaging a C for your first year, then you've done well to pull it up to a B in your second.
    I'm not terribly worried about that.

Lets consider a third scenario-

AS- 210 (B)
    A2- 269 (A)
    Overall- 479 (B)

Similar to scenario two, I think it IS possible, with alot of hardwork to go froma B at AS to a decent A at A2. In this case, the 480 average is not satisfied, so no A or A* grade. If we added one mark to to the AS, we'd get 480, but no 90% average at A2, so that would be an A. If we add one mark to the A2, we get 480 and a 90% average at A2, so that's an A*.

I don't think 'the majority' of TSR will get anything less than a B at ASin the subjects they are aiming to get an A* in overall. So I was wondering if there could potentially be a situation where 1 mark seperated the A*/B grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acm345)
    I thought you needed to average 90% over the whole course but with 90% in your A2?
    You thought wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    You thought wrong.
    ok then well that settles that. I am not even doing A-levels:rolleyes:

Dunno why i came on the thread

ReputationRep:
    Well it's only one mark less than the first example :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    Well it's only one mark less than the first example :confused:
    That's irrelevant. There has to be an arbitrary cut-off at some point, and there will always be people with one mark lower than it.

To go up a grade from AS to A2 is pretty good, and that's what happens in the scenario.

ReputationRep:
    That's irrelevant. There has to be an arbitrary cut-off at some point, and there will always be people with one mark lower than it.

To go up a grade from AS to A2 is pretty good, and that's what happens in the scenario.
    No that isn't what I meant. I meant that, you made it sound a big leap to go from a C to an A, but not from one mark higher than a C to an A, when they are pretty much the same thing.

That's all I meant.

ReputationRep:
    That's the way the cookie crumbles I'm afraid.

The A* is a good idea in theory, but it's been poorly implemented. They should introduce A* at AS too.

ReputationRep:
    dang i didnt know it was this complicated

i thought what you needed was 90% average over the whole A-level
    in that case i might have needed to get nearly full marks in A2 so average would be about 90%

well looking at this i'm a lot more relieved - i can really work for the A2
    and forget about AS - i think i should have gotten above 80% in them
    so only focus to get 90% or higher in A2

ReputationRep:
    There's too many numbers involved :lolwut:. But I see your point, and although it is harsh, someone will be one point lower than another grade, and still feel just as crushed.

ReputationRep:

not overly, i know loads of people ( me included) that did so much better at A2 than As

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.