Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting the first year of Architecture this September. I've just contacted Lincoln Uni, who put me through to security... who told me there is no on-site car parking at all !

They said that the council or someone offers discounted student car parking but I'm awating more details.

Does anyone who travels to Lincoln University have any info regarding car parking, is it a big problem at all ? Should I just get the train ( from Grimsby ) :confused:

This is really bad in my opinion, I mean my College had loads of car parking and I didn't even pay for the course ! Grimsby ( Institute, school leaver. )

ReputationRep:
    You'll find universities don't generally offer free parking to students. Can you imagine it, though? Thousands of people would bring their cars if the uni offered that..

I went to Leeds Uni and there were 30,000 students and no on-site parking, and nobody had any problems..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pimmel)
    You'll find universities don't generally offer free parking to students. Can you imagine it, though? Thousands of people would bring their cars if the uni offered that..

I went to Leeds Uni and there were 30,000 students and no on-site parking, and nobody had any problems..
    Do you know any info on the ' company ' called NCP ? I was informed that these are the people who deal with car parks :confused:

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Lincoln is a very car-unfriendly city. NCP run the brayford wharf carpark (hourly/daily pay) which is one of the closest to the university and this has been discussed on another thread. The university doesn't provide parking because with roughly 10000 students that's a lot of spaces to be providing for.

In Lincoln you don't need a car, everything is in walking distance. Only other option is to find somewhere on the sidestreets to park as all the shops nearby clamp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    Lincoln is a very car-unfriendly city. NCP run the brayford wharf carpark (hourly/daily pay) which is one of the closest to the university and this has been discussed on another thread. The university doesn't provide parking because with roughly 10000 students that's a lot of spaces to be providing for.

In Lincoln you don't need a car, everything is in walking distance. Only other option is to find somewhere on the sidestreets to park as all the shops nearby clamp.
    Ok, well I only need a car to get there, the city is very close to the Uni...

Should I just call NCP up and ask them about student discounts etc. Can you get a pass instead of having to go use ' pay & display' ?

Thanks

EIDT: Just called them, it's £90 a month ! I think I might have to get the train

ReputationRep:
    Sell ya car when you get here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puxmann)
    Sell ya car when you get here.
    Lol, and how am I suppose to get back home and travel to work ?

I think I'll just risk it and take my chances of finding a pay and display, apparently there are loads of public car parks...

The train is an alternative, though I will still need to get the bus/taxi to get to my train station.

ReputationRep:
    If you're happy to ditch your car then there's often the odd space along the lower high street estates although this isn't that reliable. You don't need a permit, people use their cars to get to work so there's often enough spaces for daytime parking and a 15-20min walk into uni. Pay and display is going to cost £5-7 a day at least if staying longterm.

With Architecture 1st year you're going to have lectures at least 4 out of the 5 days and long inconvenient gaps between morning and afternoon sessions.

ReputationRep:
    If you're happy to ditch your car then there's often the odd space along the lower high street estates although this isn't that reliable. You don't need a permit, people use their cars to get to work so there's often enough spaces for daytime parking and a 15-20min walk into uni. Pay and display is going to cost £5-7 a day at least if staying longterm.

With Architecture 1st year you're going to have lectures at least 4 out of the 5 days and long inconvenient gaps between morning and afternoon sessions.
    Hmmm, this is what I fear, what could I do if I have a 3 hour gap on 2 of the days, for example.

I called the Uni up and they said that I won't find out the timetable until 21st September, which is my first day ... I need to know now so I've emailed the course tutor, hoping that he can help me. On the call, they said it won't be 5 days but it could be anything.

Tesco, which is were I work will also need to know in a few weeks what my timetable is so that they can change my hours etc.

I'm guessing it's way too late to apply for accommodation ?

ReputationRep:
    Accomodation won't be allocated until UCAS results are done and people know where they're going. Even if you can't get into the onsite "halls" mainstay managed accomodation will have many spaces left (these don't offer parking either). Your best bet is to contact the university accomodation team to see if you can apply for accomodation so you are placed with other first years, the other option is to contact mainstay (pavilions/junxion) or the other companies directly to see about getting a room with other first years.

Lectures are normally timetabled between 9am-5pm with wednesday afternoons off for sports, although there is a chance you could have a studio session wednesday afternoon, in the time between lectures you could use it to work in the studios, workshop or studying in the library. If you're good at making friends it could also be used (if you can't be bothered to study during the day) to go round eachothers flats, eat out or just wonder around town. The degree is classed as full time so really you should try and keep 9-5 free. Also on design courses we had a visiting lecturer series on tuesdays from 6pm, although I am not sure if this is changing.

In my first and second year I had fridays off (scheduled my CAD sessions for a different day) although you won't really know until you enrol and get your timetable in freshers week. You could apply for a transfer to Lincoln tesco, it's a 20-25min walk from the uni but if you're living in town it might be better than commuting back home.

ReputationRep:
    Accomodation won't be allocated until UCAS results are done and people know where they're going. Even if you can't get into the onsite "halls" mainstay managed accomodation will have many spaces left (these don't offer parking either). Your best bet is to contact the university accomodation team to see if you can apply for accomodation so you are placed with other first years, the other option is to contact mainstay (pavilions/junxion) or the other companies directly to see about getting a room with other first years.

Lectures are normally timetabled between 9am-5pm with wednesday afternoons off for sports, although there is a chance you could have a studio session wednesday afternoon, in the time between lectures you could use it to work in the studios, workshop or studying in the library. If you're good at making friends it could also be used (if you can't be bothered to study during the day) to go round eachothers flats, eat out or just wonder around town. The degree is classed as full time so really you should try and keep 9-5 free. Also on design courses we had a visiting lecturer series on tuesdays from 6pm, although I am not sure if this is changing.

In my first and second year I had fridays off (scheduled my CAD sessions for a different day) although you won't really know until you enrol and get your timetable in freshers week. You could apply for a transfer to Lincoln tesco, it's a 20-25min walk from the uni but if you're living in town it might be better than commuting back home.
    Thanks, that's very helpful.

If I'm honest, I really, really, don't want to stay at Lincoln because :
    I will need to find a new job if Tesco's don't transfer me
    I won't know anyone ( likewise neither will anybody else )
    I'll be nervous and get home sick
    Although I don't have a Car yet I've saved up £3.8K for one, plus money from parents etc. although I could just stay at Lincoln, but I really want a car and freedom.
    I will have to do all the washing ironing etc. which I didn't want to ( and I'm not lazy either )

If I knew people then I probably would stay there. I do know one person who is staying but we only know each other from the internet.

I've being researching a bit more and found that' Lincoln BIG ' offer 4 car parks for £49/month but it's varies from 10-25 minute walk to the Uni.

I emailed the Tutor of the course and he just pointed me in the direction for the Semester dates, not the actual days will need to attend

Have you stayed at Lincoln before ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NStocks)
    Lol, and how am I suppose to get back home and travel to work ?

I think I'll just risk it and take my chances of finding a pay and display, apparently there are loads of public car parks...

The train is an alternative, though I will still need to get the bus/taxi to get to my train station.
    Fair do's m8. I have just moved to the High Street area near the football stadium and there is heaps of space for cars here and it is all unrestricted, whether this will change when uni starts I don't know but it is free parking.

ReputationRep:
    Fair do's m8. I have just moved to the High Street area near the football stadium and there is heaps of space for cars here and it is all unrestricted, whether this will change when uni starts I don't know but it is free parking.
    What are you studying ?

Have you just recently moved in to the accommodation, is your accommodation what they call ' halls' which is off -campus ?

Am I too late to apply ? Lol

ReputationRep:
    As long as you don't have a flashy car park down near sincil bank. Free parking outside all the housing estates. I parked there everyday for 3 months last summer, working 7.30am-8pm and it was fine. Best road is called Kesteven road. Closest to town, most available parking spaces and less houses.

Check it out on google maps .

My car was worth about 4k btw so you'll have no problems.

ReputationRep:
    I've just got a email back from the main Lecturer, he said that it will be " at least 3 days a week, 2 days for studios and one day for lecture, while not confirmed yet, last year was Mondays and Thursdays for studios and Fridays for lectures, and likely we will keep that. If you study part-time the studio time can be later arranged with your studio tutor."

Are studios just where you design, like workshops ?

I will probably be getting either a Seat Ibiza or Ford Fiesta... anytime within the next 5 weeks. ( recommend ay cheap insurance companies ? )

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to commute too and I have no idea what to do about the car parking... I've seen signs up for student car parks before in Lincoln but when I rang the uni they said they didn't have any. Eeek.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisLincoln)
    As long as you don't have a flashy car park down near sincil bank. Free parking outside all the housing estates. I parked there everyday for 3 months last summer, working 7.30am-8pm and it was fine. Best road is called Kesteven road. Closest to town, most available parking spaces and less houses.

Check it out on google maps .

My car was worth about 4k btw so you'll have no problems.
    Stop bummin off ya Mum n Dad and boast about it wen you have worked for it, i fukin h9 stuck up students who haven't felt the real world yet!!!

ReputationRep:
    Stop bummin off ya Mum n Dad and boast about it wen you have worked for it, i fukin h9 stuck up students who haven't felt the real world yet!!!
    I worked for it, and i wasn't boasting read his previous post about saying he'd saved 3.8k for a car, so i was saying it was worth similar so he shouldnt worry about it being damaged.

So have a go when you know the facts?

ReputationRep:
    Last year i had to drive from Riseholme to the main campus 3 times a week.. I parked for free at B&Q, its a massive carpark practically next to the campus.. Its about a 3 or minute walk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tittch)
    Last year i had to drive from Riseholme to the main campus 3 times a week.. I parked for free at B&Q, its a massive carpark practically next to the campus.. Its about a 3 or minute walk
    Oooooooooh could you stay there as long as you liked?

Edit: I just rang them and they said you can park there for "as long as you are in the store". Lol.... do you think they'd catch you out though?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.