Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pez_f)
    Word of warning- just don't bring your car! it's isn't worth the stress or the money!
    Hard not to when you're commuting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahlou27)
    Hard not to when you're commuting...
    True lol. I test drove a Toyota Yaris today. Definitely getting that car, just not sure it's worth an extra £1k to get a 1.3 Litre over a 1.0 litre which has better fuel economy.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'm also starting at Lincoln Uni in September to study English. I'm going to be commuting too, I've been worried about parking costs too! Is the NCP the best bet then?

I thought that I'd be the only one commuting! I'm really worried that I won't make friends as easily because I won't be living in student accommodation but I only live about half an hour away and halls are sooo expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink_munki)
    Hey guys,

I'm also starting at Lincoln Uni in September to study English. I'm going to be commuting too, I've been worried about parking costs too! Is the NCP the best bet then?

I thought that I'd be the only one commuting! I'm really worried that I won't make friends as easily because I won't be living in student accommodation but I only live about half an hour away and halls are sooo expensive.
    You and me both !

NCP is £90 a months, Lincoln BIG is £49 a month but you have to walk a little further. I'm going to go to the NCP one on the first day ( but when I get my car I will go around the town and see where ALL the car parks are, just in case ) I know that it will be expensive on the first week, but I've hard when you buy your daily ticket, you can take it to the office (?) and they swap it for a £3.50 ticket. If so, then that way is loads cheaper...

It's best to wait until you get your timetable so you can work out which would be most cost effective.

ReputationRep:
    I have a 1.0 16v Toyota Yaris, It is a really good car, I regulary get 50-60 mpg on journeys...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NStocks)
    You and me both !

NCP is £90 a months, Lincoln BIG is £49 a month but you have to walk a little further. I'm going to go to the NCP one on the first day ( but when I get my car I will go around the town and see where ALL the car parks are, just in case ) I know that it will be expensive on the first week, but I've hard when you buy your daily ticket, you can take it to the office (?) and they swap it for a £3.50 ticket. If so, then that way is loads cheaper...

It's best to wait until you get your timetable so you can work out which would be most cost effective.
    Well I know I'll only have 10 hours a week in total so I'm hoping that I won't need to pay a huge amount in parking. I also wanted somewhere quite close so I don't have to walk around the city to find the car. I know you can park in Morrisons for free as long as it's only for 2 hours, so if I've only for one lecture on a day then that would be ideal.

I've found a link that lists all the carparks in Lincoln and prices (I thought it might be easier for you to look at that than walking around the city looking for them). Here it is:

http://www.lincoln.gov.uk/Info_page_...4&art_id=11267

I was thinking about trying to organise a little meeting for the commuters (seeing as we have a slight social disadvantage by not living in accommodation), would you be interested?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MTGrafik)
    I have a 1.0 16v Toyota Yaris, It is a really good car, I regulary get 50-60 mpg on journeys...
    Really ? I was looking at that but a mechanic I know said that a 1.0 litre wouldn't be that good for doing 300 miles a week...

Petrol or Diesel ?

ReputationRep:
    I rang the NCP carpark the other day and they said they don't do any student discounts... eek.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahlou27)
    I rang the NCP carpark the other day and they said they don't do any student discounts... eek.
    I know Apparantley when you buy your ticket, you can take it to a room on site and they will change it for a £3.40 one. You then scan this cheaper ticket upon your exit at the machine... I don't know where it is but I need to know ! and hope they still do it !

ReputationRep:
    My advice to any student bringing a car is to find a street that has house's on it and park there... i always park opposite morrisons, (i'll try add a google earth image at the bottom of this) the road can be seen from the main road and from the two years of parking there i have never had a problem.

find a street that looks safe and test it out, obviously the better places is up the hill but thats a mission to walk...

EDIT: link didn't work. search for 'waterloo street' in lincoln. thats where i normally park

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone seen this? It makes out there are several university carparks, even if there aren't that many spaces... http://www.freelancefees.info/page.p...mtype=showcase

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NStocks)
    I know Apparantley when you buy your ticket, you can take it to a room on site and they will change it for a £3.40 one. You then scan this cheaper ticket upon your exit at the machine... I don't know where it is but I need to know ! and hope they still do it !
    I don't think they do this. When I rang them they said they didn't. :no:

ReputationRep:
    I've heard there are parking spaces at the Uni, but at £600 a pop each year!

ReputationRep:
    Really ? I was looking at that but a mechanic I know said that a 1.0 litre wouldn't be that good for doing 300 miles a week...

Petrol or Diesel ?
    You shouldn't listen to that mechanic, Mine is a Petrol, It pretty much does £10 per 100 miles driven... which is great!!! brilliant little car to drive...

ReputationRep:
    **NCP PARKING UPDATE***

I went to the SU today and they have the details there for parking. At the engine shed they have a "parking ticket validation machine" which you can use to apply discount. Students get 25% off the normal rate which works out as below:

1hr: £1.40
    2hr: £2.60
    4hr: £3.60
    6hr: £4.20
    6-24hrs: £5.10

You can apply the discount at the engine shed then go back to the car park and use the ticket machine as normal

ReputationRep:
    Not great if you are in for more than 6 hours then....the £3.40 deal was really helpful. This isn't.

Any commuters registered on the travel lincs car share website? I've registered and contacted people from my home town but no joy as yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    **NCP PARKING UPDATE***

I went to the SU today and they have the details there for parking. At the engine shed they have a "parking ticket validation machine" which you can use to apply discount. Students get 25% off the normal rate which works out as below:

1hr: £1.40
    2hr: £2.60
    4hr: £3.60
    6hr: £4.20
    6-24hrs: £5.10

You can apply the discount at the engine shed then go back to the car park and use the ticket machine as normal
    Thanks for that Steeps, I wondered about this as I did receive an e-mail about it earlier on in the year through the University but was hoping it was incorrect as the £3.40 deal worked out a lot cheaper. I don't know why they have changed to that. I can bet that most of the time I will be paying the 4.20, I know it's only 80p more but it soon adds up. And it looks like I may not have Wednesday off this year. It's getting better each day!!

ReputationRep:
    That's only what I found out from the union, the parking attendant might just put it through as a flatrate 4 hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    That's only what I found out from the union, the parking attendant might just put it through as a flatrate 4 hour.
    No I think you're correct as I did get an e-mail about it I just was hoping it wasn't true. It's very unlikely that I can squish my days into three hours in a row :mad:

You just have to remind yourself that overall it's cheaper than living there!

ReputationRep:
    If you're really trying to cut costs, in the daytime people along the sidestreets of the highstreet go to work, free parking and it's a 10-15min walk in/out to uni near the bottom. I used to live down one of the streets so walked it quite often, if you want to save yourself £4 for the sake of 30mins of your day it might be worth considering, also there's no late fees if you get held up

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.