Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    If you're really trying to cut costs, in the daytime people along the sidestreets of the highstreet go to work, free parking and it's a 10-15min walk in/out to uni near the bottom. I used to live down one of the streets so walked it quite often, if you want to save yourself £4 for the sake of 30mins of your day it might be worth considering, also there's no late fees if you get held up
    For my first year I used to park down near Lincs FM which was about a mile away from the University, took about 25 minutes or so and I hated every minute of it, especially when it was freezing cold but due to the walk I was then roasting when I got there because of my winter coat, it was awful! So the past year parking at NCP has been great as it's so close! I know my car is fairly safe there too, I hate leaving it on streets in case it is keyed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeal)
    For my first year I used to park down near Lincs FM which was about a mile away from the University, took about 25 minutes or so and I hated every minute of it, especially when it was freezing cold but due to the walk I was then roasting when I got there because of my winter coat, it was awful! So the past year parking at NCP has been great as it's so close! I know my car is fairly safe there too, I hate leaving it on streets in case it is keyed.
    Are they still giving the discounted tickets to students, do you know ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NStocks)
    Are they still giving the discounted tickets to students, do you know ?
    It appears that last year you paid the £3.40 for however long you stayed but now they have started up the 25% off thing for this year so it appears that that will be what is happening I'm pretty sure that's right as like I said I did get an e-mail about it early on in the year.

ReputationRep:
    It appears that last year you paid the £3.40 for however long you stayed but now they have started up the 25% off thing for this year so it appears that that will be what is happening I'm pretty sure that's right as like I said I did get an e-mail about it early on in the year.
    Please could you tell me the street name, where the NCP car park is situated and can you go to any NCP car park in Lincoln ?

ReputationRep:
    Please could you tell me the street name, where the NCP car park is situated and can you go to any NCP car park in Lincoln ?

It's called Brayford Street. Not sure about any other car park.

ReputationRep:
    53.227147,-0.542566 in google maps, literally across the road from uni

ReputationRep:
    It's called Brayford Street. Not sure about any other car park.
    Thanks ! That is close ! It looks a fairly small car park, does it tend to be full ? ( It is a single storey car park isn't it i.e just off a normal road.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks ! That is close ! It looks a fairly small car park, does it tend to be full ? ( It is a single storey car park isn't it i.e just off a normal road.
    If you use the coords in my post it points at the building. Looks fairly large from the outside

or: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...2566&encType=1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    If you use the coords in my post it points at the building. Looks fairly large from the outside

or: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...2566&encType=1
    Ohhh, is it the whole building I just though it was the small grey section. Multi Storey ! Does it have security etc. And is it always full ?

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh, is it the whole building I just though it was the small grey section. Multi Storey ! Does it have security etc. And is it always full ?
    It is multi-storey yes, plenty of space. It doesn't tend to be full but sometimes it is, but due to it being busy there are always plenty of cars coming out so if there is a queue I always wait and will be in within a few minutes. There are security there, whether they do anything I'm not quite sure but there is always someone in the office at the bottom.

ReputationRep:
    It is multi-storey yes, plenty of space. It doesn't tend to be full but sometimes it is, but due to it being busy there are always plenty of cars coming out so if there is a queue I always wait and will be in within a few minutes. There are security there, whether they do anything I'm not quite sure but there is always someone in the office at the bottom.
    I see. So I just get the ticket upon entrance to the car park, go to Uni then go to the engine shed and follow the instructions on the machine. Go to the car park and pay, then drive out with a 25% saving !

ReputationRep:
    I see. So I just get the ticket upon entrance to the car park, go to Uni then go to the engine shed and follow the instructions on the machine. Go to the car park and pay, then drive out with a 25% saving !
    That's how I understand it

ReputationRep:
    Just got my timetable and it's not too good, basically going to be paying between £3.60 and £5.10 for each day. I have Friday off but Thursday I only have one lecture which isn't good as I wanted to go to them all but it's so pointless driving in for an hour. If it was still £3.40 it would be SO MUCH better :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Just got my timetable and it's not too good, basically going to be paying between £3.60 and £5.10 for each day. I have Friday off but Thursday I only have one lecture which isn't good as I wanted to go to them all but it's so pointless driving in for an hour. If it was still £3.40 it would be SO MUCH better :mad:
    That's quite bad to be honest... My first day ( Monday ) says from 09.20-09.40 for a welcome talk... then it's enrolment straight after so it will be a short day ( not sure how long enrolment lasts ). Tuesday has got a 2 hour break ! What the hell can I do for 2 hours, assuming I wouldn't have made any friends by then lol.

What course are you taking ?

ReputationRep:
    That's quite bad to be honest... My first day ( Monday ) says from 09.20-09.40 for a welcome talk... then it's enrolment straight after so it will be a short day ( not sure how long enrolment lasts ). Tuesday has got a 2 hour break ! What the hell can I do for 2 hours, assuming I wouldn't have made any friends by then lol.

ReputationRep:

I'm doing Law, yourself?

My first year enrolment took ages they may be more organised now though, last years was only 10 minutes or so.

Well I've worked out that I will be paying £1.90 more per week than I would if it was still £3.40, it may not sound a lot but it adds up.

Also it's rubbish in another way because if I came in on Thursday for my 1 Lecture, last year I could have spent the day in the library doing work to make use of the £3.40 but now I will want to be out ASAP so as to only pay £2.60 rather than stay longer and the charge increase. It looks like I will end up just missing that lecture tbh :mad:

ReputationRep:

I'm doing Law, yourself?

My first year enrolment took ages they may be more organised now though, last years was only 10 minutes or so.

Well I've worked out that I will be paying £1.90 more per week than I would if it was still £3.40, it may not sound a lot but it adds up.

Also it's rubbish in another way because if I came in on Thursday for my 1 Lecture, last year I could have spent the day in the library doing work to make use of the £3.40 but now I will want to be out ASAP so as to only pay £2.60 rather than stay longer and the charge increase. It looks like I will end up just missing that lecture tbh :mad:

Oh and you'll have Fresher's week so there will be fairs and stuff to go to, I'm sure you'll have found someone

ReputationRep:
    Well I suppose it is good that the University have ' found ' the problem with parking and therefor had a machine give a discount, rather than it just be word of mouth ( which is what use to happen I belive )

I'm studying architecture, so it's a very long course ( 7 years ), you can imagine how much money it's going to cost me in parking etc.

About the first day; after enrolment, do you go to' Freshers Fayre' which is where all the freebies are given out, or does this take place later on ( are you told about this by the staff too ? )

My first week also includes 2 days just on library inductions, which seems like quite along time really, what do they even do/show ?

Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's just like how to use Blackboard which is where you get your lecture slides from etc and maybe where to find things in the library. It won't be very interesting.

Did you not receive a poster or something that listed everything that is going on during Freshers Week? It should say when all that is going on

I'm actually starting to look at getting the train is as it would work out a little cheaper. I can't remember if it was you or someone else but someone was commuting from out Grimsby way. Has that person looked into getting the train in from Grimsby to Lincoln?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's just like how to use Blackboard which is where you get your lecture slides from etc and maybe where to find things in the library. It won't be very interesting.

Did you not receive a poster or something that listed everything that is going on during Freshers Week? It should say when all that is going on

I'm actually starting to look at getting the train is as it would work out a little cheaper. I can't remember if it was you or someone else but someone was commuting from out Grimsby way. Has that person looked into getting the train in from Grimsby to Lincoln?
    I got the freshers week booklet thing, but that was mainly night life... I won't be taking part as I have to go back home ( and I'm not a big drinker anyway )

I looked at getting the train, but say if I needed to go on the the train on Monday, I would get there way too early or a little late... Something worth considering though, when I get my timetable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.