Turn on thread page Beta

Sleeping Hours and Free Time at Uni watch

ReputationRep:
    I like to sleep for about 9/10 hours.

I used to sleep for about 11/12 on a weekend, although I currently only sleep about 8 1/2 during the week.

That's not weird at all. Kids/teenagers are supposed to need about 10 and adults 8. That explains why teenagers lie in so much - their hormones mean they can't get to sleep until at least 10 o'clock (normally later) but they still need as much sleep as a kid.
    So now you have a biological excuse for being late to school

I would also like to play games over a LAN

ReputationRep:
    As Napoleon once said: "six hours for a man, seven for a woman and eight for a fool". He was pretty hardcore though, so dont take his word as gospel. lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Hell no! I'm hardly miss party animal, but for sure the medics go out just as much as everyone else (and more than the compscis and mathmos etc, definitely!). Sleep occasionally has to be sacrificed, especially for all those 9am lectures :rolleyes: but it's survivable. I'd say between 5-7 hours sleep a night, and free time varies on how many essays I've got on the go.

are u saying people who study maths or comp sci are geeks and never party?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_git)
    I go to sleep at 9pm and wake up at 6am like clockwork. I get The Times newspaper at 7am and spend the rest of the day writing.
    AMG, just how old are you? I'd like to think my sarcasm sensors are broken, but something tells me you're being serious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asha)
    are u saying people who study maths or comp sci are geeks and never party?
    Not as an overall generalisation, but their reputation says so, and they certainly aren't generally out as much as other subject students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Not as an overall generalisation, but their reputation says so, and they certainly aren't generally out as much as other subject students.
    indeed u seem to be correct on this matter

which is unfortunate for me, - comp sci - though i will break the mould

ReputationRep:
    4-5 hours is sleep is all I can afford specialy now I am back at work again. This is the only rest I've got all day.

ReputationRep:
    For me, 10 hours sleep is ideal, 8 acceptable. If I sleep any less than this, it will have to be caught up. I cannot understand how you can survive on 5 hours sleep on average per night. After about a week I would have a breakdown. I'm a bit worried because I want to do medicine but sleeping time may have to be sacrificed...

ReputationRep:
    I get about 3-6 hours sleep.....and lots of free time

ReputationRep:
    4-5hrs sleep most weekdays, and since I need 7-8hrs per night, I catch it all up at weekends. I've been known to sleep 16-17hrs before. Once I woke up at 7 in the evening... that was scary.

ReputationRep:
    I think if u possibly can u shld try and get 8-10 hours of sleep a night and a fairly regular routine. It leads to a better lifestyle cos u feel more alert and capable. I think it's a waste of time feeling tired most days cos u've stayed up too long doing something rather pointless for the sake of it. I've done that before as have most ppl, but it's fine as long as it's only occassionally. I spose different things work for different ppl though.

ReputationRep:
    I normally have around 7-8 hours of sleep. Free time varies, I had a 20 hour timetable in the first term, dropping to 15 hours in the second term and now in revison weeks it's 4 hours

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I´m not at Uni but I sleep about 12-16 hours a day anyway. My psychiatrist says I must sleep as much as I feel I need to because of my nervous breakdown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly)
    For me, 10 hours sleep is ideal, 8 acceptable. If I sleep any less than this, it will have to be caught up.
    Same here.

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell. During the week I have 4 hours max these days, do all-nighters every other day, then catch up with a 15hr or so marathon once a week. Free time? Nil.

ReputationRep:
    Which is why you're here posting this, I suppose

ReputationRep:
    Every now and then I've tried to adapt to sleeping only about 6 hours per night but it's just impossible, my brain doesn't really function at all the next day. 8 hours or more is a necessity for me. 12 hours or more isn't uncommon on weekends either. I guess I'll just have to submit to what my body tells me :/

ReputationRep:
    Well, I have to get up for school (sixth form) at 7 on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and I always end up watching some rubbish film or something on TV and I rarely get to sleep before 12, sometimes as late as 2. Wednesdays I'm not at school all day so I get a lie in but I work Tuesday evenings, usually getting home between 12 and 1am. I work at 9am on Saturdays which is never good when I've been out the night before. Put it this way, if I get home from a club at 3am and have to wake up at 7.30am to get to work, that's definitely not enough sleep. I guess a lot of people get a decent lie-in on sats but not me. Sundays I have rehearsals at 1pm so I get a decent lie in then. When I've got a play on all week, that's when my sleep is really awful. We obviously have to go to the pub after each performance, so get home around midnight to wake up at 7 to go to school. Then I usually have to go directly from school to the theatre because I always end up agreeing to work backstage. So for a whole week I'm either sleeping (around 6 hours), at school or at the theatre. Very little time to eat, never mind play! I'm reasonably good with little sleep. It takes quite a lot to get exhausted. I do tend to fall asleep in my Psychology lessons sometimes but I don't feel like I'm going to have a breakdown or anything. I think I'll go back to bed now...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.