Turn on thread page Beta

Passed out this morning watch

Announcements

I somehow hurt my arm, and I guess I passed out either from the pain or from the ensuing shock. I fell down unconcsious and smacked my jaw onto a kitchen workboard. I don't know how long I was out for (probably only 10 seconds or so) but I woke up completely spaced out thinking I was about to die. It was like I was being sucked into quicksand but without gravity and I was throwing my arms in front of my body trying to cling onto the worktop, but i kept missing it.

It was such a weird sensation, I guess it must be what it's like to be completely off one's head on mindbending drugs, but I can assure you that I've never done any drugs and I don't even drink.

My bottom half of my mouth is very swollen and I can barely speak because of it. I still feel slightly dizzy.

I just don't know what I did to my arm to make me in so much pain>? My mum thinks I may have dislocated it, but surely that's not possible? It feels ok now, but I am not moving it much at all. My other arm can reach up vertically, whereas I am not going to move my bad arm up like that, for fear of hurting myself again.

Is it worth going to hospital?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I somehow hurt my arm, and I guess I passed out either from the pain or from the ensuing shock. I fell down unconcsious and smacked my jaw onto a kitchen workboard. I don't know how long I was out for (probably only 10 seconds or so) but I woke up completely spaced out thinking I was about to die. It was like I was being sucked into quicksand but without gravity and I was throwing my arms in front of my body trying to cling onto the worktop, but i kept missing it.

It was such a weird sensation, I guess it must be what it's like to be completely off one's head on mindbending drugs, but I can assure you that I've never done any drugs and I don't even drink.

My bottom half of my mouth is very swollen and I can barely speak because of it. I still feel slightly dizzy.

I just don't know what I did to my arm to make me in so much pain>? My mum thinks I may have dislocated it, but surely that's not possible? It feels ok now, but I am not moving it much at all. My other arm can reach up vertically, whereas I am not going to move my bad arm up like that, for fear of hurting myself again.

Is it worth going to hospital?
    Yes! Please get medical attention. Hope you get better soon

ReputationRep:
    you have at least a concussion go to the hospital

ReputationRep:
    I think you shold go and get some help or talk to someone about it. I've been knocked out like that before, it is a very strange feeling. I ran into the patio door thinking it was open and must have been passed out a few minutes, I ended up waking up and I was on my back at the bottom of the garden but had no recollection of going there and lying down and it was only a few seconds before I realised where I was. It's a scary feeling, I didn't go anywhere but I was with my family and they were making sure I was okay, if anything bad did happen they would have been there to ring the ambulance or something. I had a fat lip, a swollen knee and a big lump on my head the next day and felt spaced out from the moment it happened until around lunchtime the next day.

But yup that happened because I was tupid enough to run into a patio door but you passed out without running into something and I think you should go to the hospital due to hitting your jaw too. I'm sure everything will be fine though and it'll all heal up after a few days but you should go just for precaution. Hope you feel better soon!

Did you stand up too quickly?

I found when lying down, and getting up quickly I pass out for a few seconds, the last time it happened I knocked my head quite bad, but was ok.. My doctor said it was due to low blood pressure, and that it was completely normal for someone my age..

ReputationRep:
    Definately go straight to the hospital walk in centre if you have one.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, any fall which causes you to pass out should get medical attention

ReputationRep:
    Definitely go to the hospital, it's better that you do that and it turns out not to be serious than if you hadn't gone and it is serious. Hope you feel better soon

ReputationRep:
    this is after all what hospitals are for... treating people with bodies that arent working properly.... I would go just to get the rest of you checked out including your rather swolen jaw!

Its quite possible that the shock of the injury caused you to black out, and this is fairly common really, especially if its a really painful injury. It is rather traumatic, especially if youve never had it before and the feeling of dread is also quite common. If its happened more than once in recent times its worth bringing up as a possible issue, but my first guess would be that this is probably a one off.

Hope you have a speedy recovery

ReputationRep:
    You should definatley go to the hospital.
    Hope you get better soon

I never did go to the hospital, but I went to the doctors today. I am being referred to a physio for my bad arm.

I always thought that I passed out from the pain, but I get the impression that people at work don't really believe that story (or think that I'm a complete wimp with a low pain threshold) and this is leading me to believe that maybe I didn't pass out cos of that reason. What other reason could it be?

I hurt my arm bad (no screams, no crying) and realised 'sh**, this hurts', then felt myself going dizzy, all in the space of maybe 60 seconds. Then the next I remember is waking up on the floor really spaced out.

My jaw is very bruised atm, I look a complete state. I bet everyone thinks I have been fighting.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.