Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so I had an eye test today and within that i had a pressure test taken where they puff air into your eye, my right eye came up with a quite high pressure of 21 (21 is the boarderline between ok and high) ..so its not all that high. They said i have to be reffered to hospital for more tests.
    Has anyone else had this?
    anyone know the causes? ..im panicking so much now =[

ReputationRep:
    I did work experience in Specsavers and had to run those tests... they're usually to test for glaucoma which is something that normally occurs on 40+, if i remember correctly. you could try researching 'glaucoma'.

ReputationRep:
    ahh im only 18
    what age person do they do those tests on then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _charley_)
    ahh im only 18
    what age person do they do those tests on then?
    When i was there, mostly i did them on older people but there were some young people I had to do the tests on.

EDIT: as you said, your 'figure' isn't too high so im guessing its some routine check they've referred you for.

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling a bit rusty on this, but I'll give it a sort of vague shot.

I think intraocular pressure is the product of the production of vitreous humour by the ciliary body and its drainage through the trabecular meshwork and the canal of Schlemm.

I think the most common cause of ocular hypertension is damage/infection to prevent drainage (slower removal, as opposed to increased fluid production).

If I remember correctly, certain muscarins/anti-muscarins can also affect drainage via the trabecular meshwork, so if you are on any medication already, it could be playing a part.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    oh right ok ..it may be due to my grandmother having glaucoma perhaps

ReputationRep:
    yeah 21mm hg is borderline
    They will be just checking for glaucoma like others have said.
    If the optometrist didnt see any damage in the back of your eye then if you do have glaucoma it can be treated early with very little risk of visual damage
    Just been revising this for my optometry resit this month :p:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.