Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it worth going to university for the “uni experience”? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should you go to university for the experience?
    Yes
    48.24%
    No
    51.76%

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to mmu, but not for the 'experience'. I don't know why anyone would want to pay that much money just to end up with liver damage. I'm aiming to work hard and get a first. If everyone says that a 2.1 from mmu isn't the same as 2.1 at Manchester, then i guess a 1st from mmu will at least equal a 2.1 from Manchester, gotta be better than nothing .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I completely disagree. A degree is barely of any importance in comparison to receiving a rounded and universal education, growing as an individual and so forth. That is what universities are there for, not to be some sort of vocational college for job training.
    I currently work for a company that values a degree as something that shows you are capable of a certain level of thinking. The company is not too fussed as to what the degree is in, as long as they have one and some relevant experience in the necessary field.

I do not have a degree (which is why i am starting one in September), but i have far more relevant experience than the majority of people here and greater technical ability and understanding of the work we do. However, i am payed approximately £2k less than my less experienced, degree holding colleagues even though i produce identical, if not better work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    Perhaps some people dont consider getting a good job the highest of their priorities in life?

I certainly dont
    I'd say the main priority for everyone is being happy. But them getting the degree and getting a good job will make you happy , so :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeremy-Bentham)
    I was on a long bus journey and there were seven people who were talking about going to university.

They wanted to go to Manchester Met and they didn’t have enough money to go out of town. To raise money one of the guys was selling drugs. The others had loads of jobs and were talking about how they are going to take bank loans out for university. And they were all having problems with student finance.

They are looking to get D’s and E’s and some of them C’s. They will be in serious debt when they finish. They don’t care about their course they just want to get in through clearing etc.

Is it worth it? That is go to university for the experience?
    Go to UCL. Your body's there after all >_<

ReputationRep:
    as I said in another thread, if someone isn't have fun at uni, they aren't doing it right. The best way to pull this off is to get all the studying done on sunday-thursday and live the "uni experience" from friday-saturday. when you get the balance down, you neverrrr want to leave. of course, on freshers week, the "uni experience" is 24/7, and rightly so.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people, including me, only go to uni because we know we can - I guess it'll be a laugh at the same time

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to uni for the experience. The usual way into my chosen career involves having a degree, but I could have worked around that if I wanted. So yeah, I'm more or less going for the experience. Then again, I'm going to a particularly good university, so it will probably benefit me in the long run if I ever do decide to pursue jobs that want a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximum Velocity)
    I'd say the main priority for everyone is being happy. But them getting the degree and getting a good job will make you happy , so :/
    Yeh i agree. But the choice was between going to a uni simply for the 'uni experience' and not going at all. If you can manage to have the 'uni experience' plus get a decent degree obviously thats better.

Maybe I'm being naive and falling for the governments propaganda but student debt isnt as scary as some people make it out to be. They can't force you to pay it back if you dont have the money. Its just deducted from your wage like an extra tax. Its 9% of your earnings over £15k i think.

ReputationRep:
    No. Why anybody would want to go to uni to study a mickey mouse course, get into debt and then struggle to get a job is beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    the uni experience consists of going out alot and getting drunk during the day , you can do that anywhere ,alot of my friends aren't students and they go out during the week and drink during the day .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LvStrong)
    The best way to pull this off is to get all the studying done on sunday-thursday and live the "uni experience" from friday-saturday.
    It depends on the course, I don't know anyone in my class who took that much time off in final year who actually managed to get a first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I completely disagree. A degree is barely of any importance in comparison to receiving a rounded and universal education, growing as an individual and so forth. That is what universities are there for, not to be some sort of vocational college for job training.

Right on the money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    Perhaps some people dont consider getting a good job the highest of their priorities in life?

I certainly dont
    I totally agree. Tbh i'm going more to delay the job hunting for another 3 years. No degree + recession = No chance of getting a decent job.
    I still think it's worth it for the experience, and the life skills and budgeting you'd no doubt have learnt at the end of it all...

ReputationRep:
    Well im going to university for a few different reasons so it's hard to pinpoint where i exactly stand on going to uni for the 'experience'.

Im going to further my knowledge in Classical Civilisation, and i know it will be challenging, which is always a bonus. Two other reasons im going are, because i really don't want to be looking for a job at this present moment in time. Best to get 3 years of university under your belt before i do that, as it will help me pick up key skills that are favoured upon in the workplace. Another reason is for the typical 'experience' at university.
    I want to go out with my peers and have a good time. I know you can do that almost anywhere, but going to university is going to make it easier for me to meet new people, because everyone is in the same position, and they are looking to make friends too, so the task wont be as hard as it would be back home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheQueenOfComputerScience)
    It depends on the course, I don't know anyone in my class who took that much time off in final year who actually managed to get a first.
    Right. It really depends on the structure and the time of year. Obviously in mid-term and finals week (I go to a US uni so this post reflects that experience), the "uni experience" becomes virtually non-existent. However, in the "normal week", it is usually not too outlandish to get the work done and have plenty of time for the "uni experience". it all comes down to time management skills honestly.

ReputationRep:
    To my mind, 'uni experience' includes studying as well as going out, so- Yes, it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Rather depends on what sort of universit yyou're at.

Most low-end ones function as degree factories with no character whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    It's your money, your value system, your life. Do what you want. If all you want is a university experience, then do it. I doesn't matter what others think or do. Within the next 80 years or so nobody here will be alive to remember/care whether you went to a university for the experience or for the degree.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you mean by experience. Some people mean broadening knowledge and horizons, experiencing life in a different place, etc, etc. Others mean 24/7 drinking. I agree it's the individual's choice, but with the taxpayer footing the bill so 50% of people can 'study' at university, it's no wonder some people are going for the student loan-funded drink fests and not for much else.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the immediate tax payer really matters. Most graduates will be taxed throughout their working life, and everybody has a choice to go to university. I don't see anything unfair, I just see different choices in a system that supports such a choice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.